The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dank became the #1 goal scorer for the Nucks...who was/is your favorite?

ShakyWalton

Dank is now the #1 scorer in Canuck history..who is your favorite?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, coastal.view said:

wow i fail to see how this effects bure's talent

or made him less watchable

you should travel a bit i think .. vancouver is great city , but the difference between how great vancouver is and other cities are

is smaller

than the difference between how much greater is was to watch bure play than it is to watch dank play  :unsure:

wow you are an enthusiastic fan

perhaps a bit delusional

but oh well, this is cdc

i guess you never saw gretzky play either, he played in that era, did not get 1500 goals, and is still the all time nhl goal scoring leader

I'm a huge Bure fan but to compare any previous Canuck to the sedins is absolutely insane. 

First of all Bure was a cherry picker, especially during his panthers time. He was famous for hanging around center ice and feeding the panther Hahahah. 

Daniel and Henrik are tougher than Bure ever was... So what if Bure threw some hits? Henrik alone had an iron man streak almost as long as bures 700 games! 

Daniel and Henrik are far more entertaining and magical. Sure Bure scored many incredible highlight reel goals, but first and foremost, none will be remotely close to the talent level of the goal scored between the legs again kipper... Sedins have been wowing for well over a decade. The plays they make are IMPOSSIBLE. There's no duo like them and never will be. 

Don't get me wrong, I have an artistic impressions Pavel Bure box topper that I bought with $300 saved allowance when I was 11 years old hanging on my wall and countless hockey cards from him. As a kid I spent so much of my savings buying his cards etc etc along with the wce memorabilia... But it's ABSOLUTELY INSANE to even think ANYONE in Canucks history, comes even remotely close to the sedins... At the end of the day, Bure left. The sedins stayed and have been a constant in our lives and bless us every game with magic that no other duo in the history of the nhl has been able to duplicate. 

I am a Bure fan, if you want I'll take pictures of my wall and my cards from him... But to say he's better than the sedins is a joke. 

On to your next point... I've visited my fair share of cities as a 24 year old... Vancouver is everything to me. No city comes close. I've been to new York, Paris, Toronto, Cancun , etc... All decent and good for holidays but there's a reason I chose to live here. It's the best place on earth period. 

The sedins are architects. They dismantle teams defense and shred them to pieces. Nothing and I mean nothing compares. 

6 hours ago, apollo said:

Daniel could easily have 1500 goals by now had he played in that era with such worthless goalie equipment imo. 

Daniel / Henrik > breathing air > Universe > the wheel > penicillin > water > everything  

Fascinating how you rank the wheel and penicillin over water... Or, maybe not, maybe you've substituted water for liquor and hence all your posts...

53 minutes ago, apollo said:

I am a Bure fan, if you want I'll take pictures of my wall and my cards from him... But to say he's better than the sedins is a joke. 

If this is what you honestly believe, the joke's on you!

I bet every single GM in the league would pick two twenty year old Pavel Bure's before the Sedins (also 20 yrs) if they had a chance tomorrow! 

I agree that Hank and Danny are better at other stuff, because they are so different as players, but one Pavel Bure is way better than one of the Sedins. People tend to forget that you compare only one Pavel to the "Sedins" in plural!

Pavel Bure is the greatest Canuck of all time and also one of the greatest goal scorers in the NHL all time. (In modern time (late eighties and forward) only four other players has scored 50 goals or more in five or more seasons, and those players are Yzerman, Gretzky, Lemieux and Hull). This though he never played with a great team, never had a great playmaker setting him up (Daniel has Hank, Ovie has Backstrom, Hull had Oates etc...) and he got injured too much. Who knows how many goals he would have scored on better teams, with a better wingman and if he could stay healthy (his knee never recovered fully.)

The Sedins are truly great players! Period. But one of them are not even close to one player such as Pavel Bure! 

PS We all know now why he left, and that had to do with management totally screwing him up and I think that's fair! I'd never forget my boss if he screwed me that way. So don't think of him as a worse player just because he left!

8 hours ago, apollo said:

I'm a huge Bure fan but to compare any previous Canuck to the sedins is absolutely insane. 

First of all Bure was a cherry picker, especially during his panthers time. He was famous for hanging around center ice and feeding the panther Hahahah. 

Daniel and Henrik are tougher than Bure ever was... So what if Bure threw some hits? Henrik alone had an iron man streak almost as long as bures 700 games! 

Daniel and Henrik are far more entertaining and magical. Sure Bure scored many incredible highlight reel goals, but first and foremost, none will be remotely close to the talent level of the goal scored between the legs again kipper... Sedins have been wowing for well over a decade. The plays they make are IMPOSSIBLE. There's no duo like them and never will be. 

Don't get me wrong, I have an artistic impressions Pavel Bure box topper that I bought with $300 saved allowance when I was 11 years old hanging on my wall and countless hockey cards from him. As a kid I spent so much of my savings buying his cards etc etc along with the wce memorabilia... But it's ABSOLUTELY INSANE to even think ANYONE in Canucks history, comes even remotely close to the sedins... At the end of the day, Bure left. The sedins stayed and have been a constant in our lives and bless us every game with magic that no other duo in the history of the nhl has been able to duplicate. 

On to your next point... I've visited my fair share of cities as a 24 year old... Vancouver is everything to me. No city comes close. I've been to new York, Paris, Toronto, Cancun , etc... All decent and good for holidays but there's a reason I chose to live here. It's the best place on earth period. 

The sedins are architects. They dismantle teams defense and shred them to pieces. Nothing and I mean nothing compares. 

You kind of missed the point here Apollo. The topic is GOAL SCORER. If were talking all time Canuck(s), then you have an argument. 

If you look at what it takes to score a goal: foot speed, stick handling, wrist shot, slap shot, vision of the ice and deking ability you can easily see Bure excelled in ALL of these and the Sedins faulter in speed, slap shot, wrist shot and deking abilities. 

Bure played the point on the PP, could beat ANY NHLer one on one and deked out numerous goaltenders to the point he made them look foolish. Not to mention he could throw hits like nobodies business. Like I said he was the most complete player I have ever seen, but scoring goals was his speciality.

11 hours ago, apollo said:

gretzky - kurri say hi

they were better, perhaps mostly due to gretzky, but they were better non the less than the sedins

but even individually too, kurri simply was a better pure sniper than dank (in his first 15 season he scored around 570 goals, a tad more than dank it seems), and gretzky had an extra level of magic, that was quite a bit above what hank brings, and if you want to dispute that, go make yourself appear even more silly

the sedins are very good, but are unique due to being brothers and twin brothers

you clearly did not watch bure live when he was with the canucks, he was simply magical, there is no comparison between him and the sedins and i am a huge sedin fan

go view a highlight video of bure, then watch one of the sedins, the sedins are smart, make nice plays, bure is all power and speed and blows through the opposition, and was able to do much more on his own

my point about the cities has nothing to do with vancouver not being a better city, it has everything to do with the gap between how much better vancouver is than other cities, is still smaller than the gap between how much better bure was to watch than the sedins, comprende?

but we can just agree to disagree

edit.. and just to be clear, i lived in edmonton in the early 80s and actually watched those oilers play, i was in vancouver during the bure era, and had tickets to the nucks game back then, and i am still here watching the sedins.  i am not assessing this based on videos, newspaper articles, or just on gut feeling based on really only watching the sedins during my lifetime (like you appear to be doing).  i never did watch gordie howe in his prime and as a result i do not participate in discussions that attempt to compare gretzky and howe (but many other knowledgeable people did, and chose to retire gretzky's jersey number, league wide, and not howe's and that does tell me a lot)

I admit, I've only seen reruns on NHL network and highlights on YouTube but Bure was by far the best goal scorer to ever lace up for the Nucks. I've always imagined a scenario where he never got injured was treated right by management and played into his thirties with the Canucks. He could've been a great winger for Henrik and Daniel in the 2000s. 

There's something wrong with a large portion of our fanbase. Daniel Sedin reaches a milestone and instead of celebrating it some have to use it for a chance to smooch on Bure's butt. Does this come from media clowns? I've noticed that when Luongo reached a milestone the media clowns smooched on Hasek and Roy. When Henrik reached an assist milestone the media clowns used it as an opportunity to smooch on Gretzky. Why do people feel the need to pit one player against another? Bure is long gone and Daniel is still here. We should enjoy them now because eventually all we will have is video like we have with Bure. They all brought different skills to our Canucks.

With Bure's arrival, there was a mysteriousness that really added to the drama. Communism was really starting to crumble, but people didn't know to what extent, at that time. It was such a PITA to wedge prospects out of their grasp. The potential rewards hadn't justified the risks(up to that point in time). Indeed, we'd already been burned badly with the Krutov-fiasco(albeit, not a prospect-age). On-ice, we were still obsessed with comparing our stars & theirs(Lemieuxs & Gretz's vs their 'green-line' types). We mostly felt then that we developed true superstars, whereas Soviet-supremacy was mostly due to a robotic 'system'. Was Bure a beneficiary of this, or a truly special outlier? There'll never be such curiosity for a debut, ever again.

Here was an elitely-trained athlete, from a completely different system, who boldly & plainly states to media(before playing a minute!) WHAT he will do. He even kicks in some of his own dineros to get the show rollin'. ByGawd, I emphasize to the youngins'..the Lower Mainland never knew such anticipation. That first game vs Winnipeg was probably the most electric surprise the old Coliseum ever saw. Incredibly cool moment, & alongside Trev's drafting, these two moments FINALLY meant we had a bonafide team.

Interestingly with the twins, there's a uniqueness in their story, as well. Unprecedented to see identical twins climbing to the top(in any pro sport) with virtually identical stats & rate of progress.

Comparing these two(Danny vs Pavel) is about as 'apples & oranges' as you'll get! But for pure individual skill, we'll likely not see the likes of Bure, ever again.

In the end, Van fans are really lucky to have seen these two great stories unfold.

Archived