The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the worst thing ever created by man?

nuckin_futz

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

There is no entitlement attitude.  For all intents and purposes, most people here are feminists but have some confused definition of what "feminism" means.  When's the last time you've read real articles from real feminist thinkers about feminism?

Yeah, you're probably right.

Honestly, I've never cared much for reading material regarding feminism. I believe in equality and using merit to (for lack of a better word) discriminate rather than a biological difference. I find that to be a sound and relatively simple belief, so I've never bothered to improve it or read up on it at all.

Which was the other thread so I can read what you've said?

Just now, thejazz97 said:

Yeah, you're probably right.

Honestly, I've never cared much for reading material regarding feminism. I believe in equality and using merit to (for lack of a better word) discriminate rather than a biological difference. I find that to be a sound and relatively simple belief, so I've never bothered to improve it or read up on it at all.

Which was the other thread so I can read what you've said?

Sigh.  Okay.

Basically people have hated and feared feminism in the Western world since its inception following the industrial revolution and the rise of capitalism.  It has always been perceived as some dangerous radical movement.  And now people have been trying to suggest the movement is dead.

You know how strong media bias can be.  And it has completely dominated public discourse on feminism.  When we hear the word now we think bra-burning, man-shaming Amazon warriors.  Leading feminist thinkers don't think like this.  And feminist thinkers of previous generations have never thought like that either.  It's a fabrication by those who feel like they have something to lose.

Estelle Freedman defines feminism as the belief that women and men are inherently of equal worth.  Jessica Valenti defines it as the belief in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes.  A lot of idiots here on this forum think that somehow means women are supposed to be as good as the men, and that females should be fighting the men in the UFC or something.  Going forward, keep in mind the words "equal worth".  Modern feminism isn't BLIND to gender nor does it advocate female supremacy.  It recognizes the fact that power isn't some finite resource where different parties have to play a tug of war.  It recognizes that women are different than men but are equally important in today's society.  Being equal to men doesn't mean being the same as men or being like men.

If you think that it's unfair that a woman who's equally qualified as a man earns less, if you're pissed off to see women getting raped, or that women are constantly judged by their appearance... you are a feminist.  Again, you don't have to be the man-shaming bra-burning Amazon female to be one.

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Sigh.  Okay.

Basically people have hated and feared feminism in the Western world since its inception following the industrial revolution and the rise of capitalism.  It has always been perceived as some dangerous radical movement.  And now people have been trying to suggest the movement is dead.

You know how strong media bias can be.  And it has completely dominated public discourse on feminism.  When we hear the word now we think bra-burning, man-shaming Amazon warriors.  Leading feminist thinkers don't think like this.  And feminist thinkers of previous generations have never thought like that either.  It's a fabrication by those who feel like they have something to lose.

Estelle Freedman defines feminism as the belief that women and men are inherently of equal worth.  Jessica Valenti defines it as the belief in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes.  A lot of idiots here on this forum think that somehow means women are supposed to be as good as the men, and that females should be fighting the men in the UFC or something.  Going forward, keep in mind the words "equal worth".  Modern feminism isn't BLIND to gender nor does it advocate female supremacy.  It recognizes the fact that power isn't some finite resource where different parties have to play a tug of war.  It recognizes that women are different than men but are equally important in today's society.  Being equal to men doesn't mean being the same as men or being like men.

If you think that it's unfair that a woman who's equally qualified as a man earns less, if you're pissed off to see women getting raped, or that women are constantly judged by their appearance... you are a feminist.  Again, you don't have to be the man-shaming bra-burning Amazon female to be one.

Thanks mate. That clears up a lot.

16 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Sigh.  Okay.

Mmmmmmm

bra burning Amazon women.

4 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

This thread is not as amusing as I thought it would be. Quick, someone start a contraversy or a drawn out argument based on disrespecting the opinions of others!

Anyways, I think war is probably a strong candidate.

War? What a ridiculous opinion. We need war to offload all of our out-dated weaponry? Man if I had my way I would carpet bomb you into Bolivia.

18 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

War? What a ridiculous opinion. We need war to offload all of our out-dated weaponry? Man if I had my way I would carpet bomb you into Bolivia.

Hey, stop disagreeing and ultimately mocking me in a public space! I'll fight you IRL M8, I go to the gym every morning. I'll pillage your whole village and drink wine from the skull of your firstborn offspring!

4 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Hey, stop disagreeing and ultimately mocking me in a public space! I'll fight you IRL M8, I go to the gym every morning. I'll pillage your whole village and drink wine from the skull of your firstborn offspring!

Good luck with that. I grew up in a time of promiscuity and no protection. I could have young'uns anywhere. It might even be you. Who's your momma?

8 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I haven't seen that movie in ages. One of my favourites back when.

"For a moment there I thought we were in trouble"

It's a beaut'

the movie is so fun and then toward the end you're just dreading what you know will be the inevitable...goes dark so quick but with great lines like that one which become gallows humour....and you just want them to make it out.

im a western movie nut....

Archived