The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the worst thing ever created by man?

nuckin_futz

3 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Money and Corporations which has led to too much being controlled by too few. Corporations has allowed people to hide behind them without having to answer for their actions. Money has created debts which snowball because of onerous interest rates. Simplistic I know, but you get my drift.

A lot of people have said taxes, central banking, money, corporations, credit etc.

I'll cast my vote for the all encompassing "capitalism". It exists to enslave people. It's a system invented by those who would have failed and died under the original "survival of the fittest" system that governed this planet. Under capitalism we've gone from survival of the fittest to "survival of the fattest". I can't imagine that's healthy for the long term survival of our species.

Capitalism has affected more people negatively than probably anything else created by man including war.

Secondary vote goes to the "legal profession". Not laws in general but the legal profession and especially lawyers. There is nothing fair and just about this system. It's simply a nasty bi-product of capitalism. Have money and you can get justice and even escape justice. Have no money to defend yourself with and you will get the short end of the stick.

I think I would have liked justice better 10,000 years ago where if you had a beef with someone you went over to their cave and beat them with your club.

34 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

A lot of people have said taxes, central banking, money, corporations, credit etc.

I'll cast my vote for the all encompassing "capitalism". It exists to enslave people. It's a system invented by those who would have failed and died under the original "survival of the fittest" system that governed this planet. Under capitalism we've gone from survival of the fittest to "survival of the fattest". I can't imagine that's healthy for the long term survival of our species.

Capitalism has affected more people negatively than probably anything else created by man including war.

43 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I think I would have liked justice better 10,000 years ago where if you had a beef with someone you went over to their cave and beat them with your club.

You like the idea of physical might makes right?!

We don't have to go back to 10,000 years ago for that as even 500 years ago in the West that was the standard operating procedure, aka feudalism.

1 hour ago, CanadianLoonie said:

You like the idea of physical might makes right?!

We don't have to go back to 10,000 years ago for that as even 500 years ago in the West that was the standard operating procedure, aka feudalism.

Loonie, isn't "might makes it right" what human beings were supposed to be? Survival of the fittest. The strongest, fastest, most powerful propagate their genes and the weak ones die and don't. Thus making the species stronger, ensuring long term survival. Feudalism wasn't physical might makes it right. It was financial might makes it right. One group hires fighters to do their fighting for them in exchange for land or gold or whatever. Sounds an awful lot like capitalism doesn't it?

indulge me if you will as I get a little philosophical. Think back to whomever put human beings on Earth. Be it some celestial power, Mother Nature of whatever one chooses to believe. Human beings really need only three things to survive. Food/water, shelter and oxygen and in some climates clothing. We do not need money.

We were originally governed by the laws of survival of the fittest. Now we are governed by the laws of capitalism. Where the weak and useless (think Lloyd Blankfein) are now in charge. How did that happen? I find it hard to acquiesce that the human body which was designed to carry heavy objects and walk 25 miles a day. Was ultimately intended to sit at a desk 8 hours a day and shuffle paper. In return for pieces of paper backed by nothing.

We're the only species on the planet that is no longer governed by survival of the fittest. Imagine how hard you'd laugh if you saw a pride of lions walk into a supermarket pull out their wallets and buy some zebra meat with pieces of paper backed by nothing. You'd say "wtf are they doing" wouldn't you? Yet that's the system we have had imposed on us.

In the words of Todd Bertuzzi "It is what it is".

Thanks for indulging me, keep in mind I am on my 3rd Gin & tonic. :P

Greed....and, while not tangible, it is something created by a desire for 'more' than what is necessary/needed.

It truly is the root of all evil because people lose sight of things when they are caught up in greed.  We're seeing it in action here...where it trumps all else and could be at the expense of things equally important (I'd say even more so) as money.  Environment.  Community. 

Something that has always been...but people can learn from past mistakes.  A little peace/love mentality, but I truly believe greed drives many of our problems.  Oh, and religion that goes astray.  Religion should be personal, NOT something to drive at others.

10 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Survival of the fittest.

Define 'fittest'.
Loonie emphasized physical.
We became the dominant species when we stopped being physical and started being intelligent. We improved when we started using tools (weapons in particular) and harnessed fire. Ever since then our advancement as a species has been based on what is between our ears - not how fast we could run or what we could wrestle into submission.

Archived