The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brian Burke on how to promote more goal scoring without changing goalie equipment and net size

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Sorry Alf buddy,  got to respectfully disagree,  goalies are arguably already the best athletes on every team in the NHL and it makes zero sense to hang them out to dry by simply widening the nets because owners won't retrofit their rinks to accommodate a slightly wider ice surface. 

^ QFT.

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

"I thought the size of the ice surface affected my team's ability to excel. That's where it started for me."

Proves my point exactly.

It's all about his teams ability to excel, not about improving the game. Classic Burke.

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Sorry Alf buddy,  got to respectfully disagree,  goalies are arguably already the best athletes on every team in the NHL and it makes zero sense to hang them out to dry by simply widening the nets because owners won't retrofit their rinks to accommodate a slightly wider ice surface. 

Just play 4 on 4.  The game started at 6 on 6.  Then went to 5 on 5.  Maybe it's time for 4 on 4?  Making the ice bigger is only going to make it harder to score.  the game will be played out on that new ice, because the defending team will be coached to not go out there.  Sooner or later the attacking team will have to get closer to a scoring area.  The defending team will just wait for them.  

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Proves my point exactly.

It's all about his teams ability to excel, not about improving the game. Classic Burke.

??????????????????????????????????????????????? 

the ducks were a big team with only like one small guy who put up 80 points in andy mcdonald

why would he still be lobbying then if it won his team a cup?

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

??????????????????????????????????????????????? 

the ducks were a big team with only like one small guy who put up 80 points in andy mcdonald

why would he still be lobbying then if it won his team a cup?

What's with the question marks?

The Flames are small and speedy. The Ducks were big and slow.

The point is pretty obvious.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It would benefit some teams and not others.

You think the Kings want bigger ice with the way they play? Probably not.

Well that's not really a valid point at all. Same logic can be applied to making equipment size smaller/making nets bigger.

You think teams with average/non-star goalies want bigger nets and smaller equipment size so they can let in more goals than they already do? Probably not. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It opens up ice that NO ONE CAN SCORE FROM.  It won't open up the scoring areas.  

it sure would as D men have to open up more meaning passes will get by them more and create more goals!If you don't think so look at olympic ice and how it is harder to defend!

Just now, TheRussianRocket. said:

Well that's not really a valid point at all. Same logic can be applied to making equipment size smaller/making nets bigger.

You think teams with average/non-star goalies want bigger nets and smaller equipment size so they can let in more goals than they already do? Probably not. 

Every goalie would have to adjust, not just the star ones. It would affect every team the same.

Ice surface would benefit certain teams more than others on the other hand.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It would benefit some teams and not others.

You think the Kings want bigger ice with the way they play? Probably not.

Could be some real home ice advantage of only a few arenas had this size of a rink. 

If implemented for all rinks it would certainly give larger teams to adjust and move some players. I would also be thrilled to see the Kings struggle. 

The larger rinks would benefit our young skilled players as well! 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Every goalie would have to adjust, not just the star ones. It would affect every team the same.

Ice surface would benefit certain teams more than others on the other hand.

Kinda just contradicting yourself here and running around in circles.

...likewise, every team would have to adjust. It would effect every team the same.

Equipment/net size would benefit star goalies more than others on the other hand.

Just now, DeNiro said:

The point he is trying to make is that he lobbied to the Penguins while being the GM of the Ducks. The Ducks were a big team yet he was lobbying for a larger ice surface. Hence it seems he has consistently held his position regardless of the team he has managed. Thus refuting your argument that he is doing this because it benefits his team. 

Now I wish you would actually discuss the issue at hand rather than the various motivations of Brian Burke. 

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

his stance didn't change when he won the cup with the big ducks, is my point.

you're trying to imply something based off an assumption that doesn't even make sense because he was lobbying while he was GM of the big slow ducks who would have been worse off with bigger ice.

1 minute ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Kinda just contradicting yourself here and running around in circles.

...likewise, every team would have to adjust. It would effect every team the same.

Equipment/net size would benefit star goalies more than others on the other hand.

Not at all. You're comparing two things that aren't really similar.

Ask Luongo if he wants equipment changes. Not every star goalie would benefit. Some would probably struggle quite a bit.

The easiest way to create more offence would be to switch to ball hockey blue lines, where the attacking team needs to get the blue line to gain the zone but the defending team needs to clear the red line to clear the zone.  This would mean the attacking team doesn't have to tag up as much creating more offence.  And it doesn't cost anything its just a rule change no need to build new rinks or renovate existing ones.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not at all. You're comparing two things that aren't really similar.

Ask Luongo if he wants equipment changes. Not every star goalie would benefit. Some would probably struggle quite a bit.

45 minutes ago, McCannon said:

I don't like that idea - its against the tradition of the game and only addresses the issue of goalies equipment marginally.

In my view it doesn't address all the root causes

1. Reality is goalies are better athletes today, trained better, and more importantly most are BIG! Most starters are 6'2 and over so is changing the net size going to make much of a difference? not in my opinion, unless its material then its just weird.

2. The game is so tight now because (as with goalies) players are bigger, faster, and better athletes than decades past, there is simply less time and space to allow creative players to be creative, for speed to be as effective as it used to be because teams have strategies to stop it (that's how the neutral zone trap emerged / left wing lock).

3. A larger ice surface isn't that against tradition and international ice has always been bigger, this is a slight adjustment

4. Adjusting the ice would make the game itself faster, more exciting for fans vs simply hoping for more goals vs 6''2 goalies who will adjust, as will systems.

5. Realize this, these players, the elite ones and even average ones, if you give them 1/2 a second more to take a look at a net, they can snipe, its the lack of space and time that is the cause- address that first and I bet scoring goes up.

Archived