The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brian Burke on how to promote more goal scoring without changing goalie equipment and net size

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Every goalie would have to adjust, not just the star ones. It would affect every team the same.

Ice surface would benefit certain teams more than others on the other hand.

Every team will have to adjust to the larger ice surface. Certain teams that rely on speed and skill will benefit.

Every goalie will have to adjust to larger nets. Certain goalies will benefit more than others. Maybe smaller goalies may end up out of a job.

What exactly is the difference between either scenario?

Here's my suggestions to create more scoring/excitement in the game.

1) Double minor penalties should result in a 2 min 5v3 rather than a 4 min 5v4. Have someone else serve the extra penalty. Double minor penalties aren't called all that often and I think it would have a huge impact and give teams a much better chance to get back into a game if it resulted in a 5v3 or build on a lead.

2) Now this one kinda sounds crazy, but...........  if icing the puck in the last minute of a period was called delay of game, it would force teams to skate the puck out and gain the red line or flip it high and out, meanwhile it allows the opposing team to sustain momentum in the last minute and give them good opportunities to tie up the game or get within a goal or perhaps take the lead.

I have also thought about increasing the ice size for the past couple years, or increasing the size of the nets or shrinking the equipment, but to me if you do anything to the ice size/nets you are pretty much changing the game entirely and no longer is that same sort of hockey we all grew up playing and knowing.

Shrinking the equipment on goalies is just dangerous, the speed the puck travels nowadays is just too risky for goalies to not have the equipment they are using. The biggest problem is that goalies are friggin giants now and they just take up a lot more of the net. Changing the size of the net changes the game of hockey completely and I for one am not a fan of changing the history of the game the way it was from the beginning. Besides, players are so skilled and strong they are able to pick corners much more accurately than before. 

47 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

it sure would as D men have to open up more meaning passes will get by them more and create more goals!If you don't think so look at olympic ice and how it is harder to defend!

the players on d will not leave their positions and chase where there is no threat to score.  The gaols need to be bigger by what ever % needed to create as much open net as there was prior to puffed up goalie pads.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

the players on d will not leave their positions and chase where there is no threat to score.  The gaols need to be bigger by what ever % needed to create as much open net as there was prior to puffed up goalie pads.

This reply is for all your comments not just the one I quoted. 

Thats just not how it works out. We see how it works on the international ice surface. Its much harder to defend and much easier to make passing plays, stretch plays and blow around defenders. Imagine the Sedins and how much that extra space would do from them along the wall. You're arguing hypotheticals that arent true when we already have evidence of how it works out. It definitely would create significantly more scoring and significantly less congestion. 

5 minutes ago, Raph said:

It's so short sighted of the NHL owners to think a few premium seats is worth it over making a better game that will increase worldwide viewership.

They don't lose any front row seats as row 2 would now be row one. Only the top, cheap,  row of seats would go "missing".

Going to have to agree with Burke on this one.

I've also been a proponent of a bigger ice surface for about 10 years or so now, allowing the players to have a bit more space before their check is in their face can only be a good thing for the entertainment factor.

It would also force NHL coaches to re-think their various 'lockdown' strategies that have choked the life out of the game since the 90's.

Probably won't happen for decades but you have to start somewhere.

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

They have said they would make pads smaller for next year,but more should be done like making the ice bigger.I am not saying only make the rink bigger,but to me that makes the most sense plus letting goalies play the puck as it creates more offense and when wrong more goals.Goalies like Markstrom have played pucks and know how,but the rules restricts them,why do that???

15 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

They have said they would make pads smaller for next year,but more should be done like making the ice bigger.I am not saying only make the rink bigger,but to me that makes the most sense plus letting goalies play the puck as it creates more offense and when wrong more goals.Goalies like Markstrom have played pucks and know how,but the rules restricts them,why do that???

I'm okay with your idea of freedom for the goalies to roam as they want.  It's silly they can play the puck in the corners, like a gimmick to me.  If the ice a few feet wider then making the net a couple inches wider and taller wouldn't appear like a change.  The proportions should stay similar.  Plus, goalies could still wear the bigger pads, but I'm thinking they would need to move more, and the big pads would become a deterrent.  

5 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

I didn't realize we needed more goal scoring.

Some of the best games I have ever watched were 1-0 or 2-1.

It's not about goal scoring. The quality of the game has declined to the point where it almost feels like we are back in the dead puck era. Of course the consequences of that is the reduced goal scoring. It's not uncommon to see guys get mugged away from the play with no calls being made. Some times you may not see it on TV but you can see it when you are at the game.

Do we really need to make the ice bigger? More goals happen in OT in 4v4. Heck, let's go 3v3 to open up even more space! It's not the net size or goalie equipment, it's the "space" on the ice that creates more scoring. Yes, we really do need bigger ice...100ft wide though, not 90. 90 is being lobbied only to smooth it over the rest of the league owners.

I can see this being a CBA issue soon. Bigger ice or fewer players on the ice at a time? Which option does Jacobs pick? :wacko:

7 hours ago, Toews said:

It's not about goal scoring. The quality of the game has declined to the point where it almost feels like we are back in the dead puck era. Of course the consequences of that is the reduced goal scoring. It's not uncommon to see guys get mugged away from the play with no calls being made. Some times you may not see it on TV but you can see it when you are at the game.

Seems like the logical choice to fix that would just be enforcing the rules that are already in place.

experimenting the removal of  the trapezoid at the ahl or echl level should be looked at , goalies being able to pass along the width of the ice along the goal line by a goalie that thinks his passing ability is good enough he,ll do it. goalie,s that don't have that ability i.e. loungo won't do it as much unless there,s time for him to do it and get back,  hextall used to be able to the 6th player involved and could change the game, martin broudeur had the same ability. lack as well . also reduce,s relieying on the hybrid icing rule as well

look at the goalie equiptment from the early nineties. make that the standard size. That bullcrap about it being less safe is just ridiculous. guys were shooting the puck pretty hard back then too. And if thats the case, and i highly doubt it, then explain to me why it got wider overtime? doesnt make sense. 

Archived