The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brian Burke on how to promote more goal scoring without changing goalie equipment and net size

"...teams are no hurry to rip out prime or premium dollar seats and reduce hockey-related revenue to make the ice bigger."

Uh.....to the writer, you do know that if you take out the first two or three rows that it would mean that the third or fourth row now become the front row don't you?

This may slowly happen as arenas are torn down and new ones built

But a good portion of us will be long gone before that ever happens.

There has to be some other ways to increase scoring and deal with this issue.

Any ideas

Like going to a three goalie system where you have to play two of your three goalies each for half of the game. 

Take away the blue line when on the power play.

Just off the top of my head 

23 hours ago, linden17 said:

look at the goalie equiptment from the early nineties. make that the standard size. That bullcrap about it being less safe is just ridiculous. guys were shooting the puck pretty hard back then too. And if thats the case, and i highly doubt it, then explain to me why it got wider overtime? doesnt make sense. 

Goalies are much bigger now than they were in the 90s. 

11 hours ago, Toews said:

Goalies are much bigger now than they were in the 90s. 

kirk Mclean was 6 foot 2 when he played. Sean burke even taller. Go google pics of them and their equipment. Look at ryan Miller. He is as skinny as they come. You cant tell me he needs those size of padding to protect his body. its not for safety, its for net protection. if you believe anything but that then you probably believe in the easter bunny too. I love those cream eggs. they need to try this before they do anything drastic like net and rink sizes. And for the record, I love ryan miller.

Archived