The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) The MOTHERLODE !? (Stamkos,Lucic,& Byfuglien)

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Definitely on board for Gudbranson but we'd likely have to offer a bit.  I'd proposed Edler + vbrata (retained cap) for Gudbranson + pick

But with Miller, Ducks already have Gibson, who's again younger and already better than miller.  Kesler already signed his extension like 4 months ago. He's getting a 6.8 cap hit for 6 years.  Ducks biggest problem this year has been scoring goals.  They have the lowest goals for in the league and are averaging 2 goals per game.  

As much as miller would like to go to the pacific, the pacific doesn't want miller. Best case is we deal him next TD to a playoff team looking for a vet goalie.  We'd likely have to retain cap but it would only be for a 1/3 of a year..

.. You must do this for a living ?! ;)     Those teams in Las Vegas, Portland and Seattle can't come quick enough ;) 

im still hopeful that we get 2-3 key moves done for what now is an exciting movement of youth.  And I'm sure Stamkos will here ALL offers.. That could be be the game changer in this city.

You are better off Peddling Burrows and Higgins to a team like New Jersey or Arizona, since :

a) they have the cap-space

b ) both teams have a ton of expiring contracts at the end of the season ( NJ has 12 roster spots signed for 2016-17, Arizona has 10) 

And that too, is a bad contract being ditched, so we'd have to do something like Burrows + Higgins + 3rd round 2016 for a 2nd round draft pick or something of that sort.

15 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

why would sj want Miller don't they have a goaltender for much cheaper?

Then if that's the case, somewhere else on this coast that he would waive his NTC, or a cup contender.. We are presently a first round team.  dropping that 6m leaves us options abound when added to a possible Capspace of aprx 15m.  Markstrom will be good to go 70% of the games next year.. Bachman or Canata as Backup.   The bigger test for management is upgrading to a contending D core,  add 2 beauty's to Tanev, Hutton, Biega, Bartowski, and we becoming physically strong in that position. Hamhuis has gone weak since his attempt to hit Lucic,. Edler has gone soft since a world tournament that he was suspended in. . .but Edler has value.   

Dont take my first round team comment to heart.  . Just a realist who optimistically cheers for the underdog,   Canuck Fan. :)

15 hours ago, oldnews said:

Yes desi - Martin Jones - who SJ gave up their 1st in this draft to acquire.

Imo none of those trade proposals have any traction.

Heya oldnews ,  just expressing for "discussion"  my opinion of 3 players that hold value to us in moving them, they are almost over ripe actually, like Hamhuis, Weber, Higgins, etc.   As in a discussion, I welcome your interest and knowledge, but perhaps there is something that makes sense to you that you would like to add. 

Again im not trying to propose anything, I just think my discussion and input of others helps us see the possibilities that exist to get us out of the mediocre hockey we have had.   The exception to that being the fantastic and exciting play of our prospect core.. Add any 3 key vets to that core and the horizon changes significantly.   I've Hypothetically brought 3 up for discussion, and a possible way to have the funds to get them here,.  Perhaps there are others?

"Dare to dream". . seems to be a window of opportunity for some rampant pessimism here on CDC,. I like to think "open minded" where all possibilities exist through calculation of risk and reward.   I'd like to think you do too..   

11 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Boom or bust it sounds like.  that's a serious gut.     I think some of our current contracts are untradeable, like burrows and miller right now, next deadline sure but I think youd be hanging on to a good portion of their contracts and are better off just keeping them on the roster for 395 or so more days.    Edler for another proven dman that needs new scenery sure.   Byfuglin might be one of those dmen caught in the speed transition I would be cautious of any long term signings of the big boys that aren't that mobile.

I heard rumours that Lucic wouldn't come here.   why would he this is transition time, hes more than likely staying in cali or going to the bright lights.   As for Stamkos I haven't looked at what teams can be in his market of roughly 9.5 to 12 , but I believe there is 3 or 4 teams that can do it..   then of course there is the Canadian dollar, which will spook everyone including bettman who may not raise the cap, which the players may be thinking which might make them lock in early in the short term as opposed to risking it in the open market which like last year was not a payday for the UFAS. look at franzen hanging around all summer without a nibble.  I don't think the market is good for dabbling around for highest bidder considering the Canadian doller

Chilli ! Appreciate your post,  I just think that players like Burrows and Miller might have 3 years left in them tops,. this may not be the best time to move them, but it might be the only time we can move them.. (Pre-2016-17). I see the league pairing down its age average to 24-26 year olds, and the quality and quantity of good young players is what the Teams are capitalizing on (more bang for the buck).   Burrows and Miller I'm sure are ready to cut bait and head to a Fishing Lodge in the not too distant future. Would be nice to move em, some great inexpensive young players as well as outstanding talented vets out there. 

4 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

I agree the league is going young fast.  burrows 2 years at 4 mil?  if so your gonna takes your beats on that one.     Miller maybe if some playoff bound team loses their number 1 goalie near the deadline, like say Washington or florida or La then if its there take it and squirm around for a temp.   I was never big on miller but I think he is playing his best as a canuck right now.

I would be willing to ditch a number of players to have gudbranson on the team

Yes, Gudbranson is only just starting to prime,. Strong, quick getting smarter.

Maybe our beloved 1st pick Mr Dale Tallon needs a little more experience in his D core?    ..... And I do think that Florida State has become the Swedish Valhalla .. Almost a family reunion if Edler, Mitchell, Ohlund, and Jovo got together ;) 

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Yes, Gudbranson is only just starting to prime,. Strong, quick getting smarter.

Maybe our beloved 1st pick Mr Dale Tallon needs a little more experience in his D core?    ..... And I do think that Florida State has become the Swedish Valhalla .. Almost a family reunion if Edler, Mitchell, Ohlund, and Jovo got together ;) 

I hear the meatballs at the local IKEA uses gator meat too.  Swedes love their Gator Berger.

4 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

they used to be our farm team , now we are their farm team . lol

Hey, look at it this way.  It could be worse.  We could be supporting them with millions in equalization payments, for the honor of being their farm team?:o

45 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

hammer vrbata a pick or prospect.     ya florida is going for it this year just look at the core groups age, they have to go now or never, so I think there is a deal to be had down there.  ya or edler, lol I seem to be squirming at that , but thinking of how many times I swore at him through the tv , maybe he should go. lol  it because of him my kids have learned swear words geebuz , he has to go

LMAO.. and I threw my iPad :) 

41 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

ha ha , if we make playoffs then the payoffs, at 35 percent off the top on home games . lol

And we need to factor in 35% of a Canuck's gate compared to 35% of a Panther's gate.  Gee, I wonder which one is more?

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

lol  16.50 for a seat beer and burger, times about 6000   hmm just off the top of my head isn't that 99000 so say 34 and change.   that might pay the hydro bill, but we might have to switch to rollerblades.

I accept the we as Canadian team fans drive the league revenues, but it does hurt seeing our dollars going for those fans to celebrate cup victories.  Do we pay for their victory parades too?

people are throwing out numbers about burrows contract that are not accurate

he has a 4 year contract that has one more year to run after this year

his salary cap hit for each of these 4 years is 4.5 million per year

the amount he actually gets paid in each year of the contract declines by 1 million each year

he got paid 6 million 2 years ago, 5 million last year, 4 million this year, 3 million next year

a decline in his play was somewhat projected when looking at his salary

there is also some sense that he was overpaid in the 1st and likely 2nd years of this contract to reward him for good service and underpayment in his previous contract

so burrows is expensive from a salary cap hit perspective next year, but his $3 million salary is not really that bad given his veteran status

i doubt he will be traded, but i don't think the amount he will be paid is as prohibitive to a trade as many state so strongly on here

edit: and edler has an annual salary cap hit of $5 million and his contract is back loaded, unlike burrows contract, which was front loaded. 

On 24/01/2016 at 7:36 PM, qwijibo said:

How does a 14 point 34 year old $4.5 mil/year 3rd liner help a team that has limited cap space that has trouble putting the puck in the net? Montreal has tons of bottom 6 guys that actually fit the team speed model Bergevin has built. Burrows is useless to them. In fact he's worse than useless because he has another year on his contract at $4.5m 

I think if we eat some of the cap, he's a VERY useful player. 

Clutch in the playoffs, great 2 way player, great on the Pk, veteran, currently in off year but playing at home could jump start him

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

... burrows  ... has a 4 year contract that has one more year to run after this year

his salary cap hit for each of these 4 years is 4.5 million per year

the amount he actually gets paid in each year of the contract declines by 1 million each year

he got paid 6 million 2 years ago, 5 million last year, 4 million this year, 3 million next year

i doubt he will be traded, but i don't think the amount he will be paid is as prohibitive to a trade as many state so strongly on here

I agree that the bare cap hit overstates the problem with Burrows' contract for the reasons you state.

Of course, the salary vs cap hit difference doesn't extinguish the issue, merely makes it less than the salary cap number makes it appear.

The salary/cap hit differential makes Burrows most attractive to a relatively small market team that needs to reach the cap floor.  They can pay him $3 mill while recording a cap hit of $4.5.

Most contenders are at or near the cap.  For at least some of them it may be a simple matter of whether Burrows' cap hit of $4.5 mill is attractive relative to the value of his anticipated contributions to the team during the remaining term of his contract.

His ntc also comes into play somewhat.  He may be more inclined to waive for a contending team than a non-contending team, but many of the contending teams are teams that have to juggle to stay under the cap.  His actual salary, while relevant, isn't as big a consideration to some of them as the cap hit.

Archived