The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Backes rejects 3 years $5.5mil AAV contract from Blues

watch him end up with the pens as part of a deal to land one of Malkin or more likely Crosby.

STL has a lot of talent. Shattnkirk Backes + be a nice deal. Maybe a Fabbri or a pick. 

I know the mere thought of one of them being dealt for good not great players would surprise many.  Look what the pens need tho.  #2 center to hold down the middle a young prospect and a quality top 3 d man back. Sounds decent. 

I hope pens keep Malkin. Always felt he was the better player.  Especially post concussion Sid.

9 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

5.5mil/year, 3 years, is the most any team should pay for Backes. 

50 point scorer who probably wont be producing at the same pace when he is 35 years old. 

Yea, but like Lucic he brings a certain aspect of size and nastiness that teams will pay more for.

He'll get at least 6.5, as will Lucic.

7 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Poor man's Kesler. I don't think that offer is that far off.

Kesler and Backes are pretty much in the same category. Career second liners. Neither has a cup. Backes and Kesler should be about the same cap hit.

Kesler 782 gp 461 Pts

Backes 699gp 433 pts.

12 hours ago, Rush17 said:

watch him end up with the pens as part of a deal to land one of Malkin or more likely Crosby.

STL has a lot of talent. Shattnkirk Backes + be a nice deal. Maybe a Fabbri or a pick. 

I know the mere thought of one of them being dealt for good not great players would surprise many.  Look what the pens need tho.  #2 center to hold down the middle a young prospect and a quality top 3 d man back. Sounds decent. 

I hope pens keep Malkin. Always felt he was the better player.  Especially post concussion Sid.

Malkin and Tarasenko on the same team....scary good

17 hours ago, 70seven said:

issue here is term.  he should easily squeak out 5-6 years on the open market.

5.5 is very close to his appropriate number.  this is why they started with 3 years.  its a bargaining chip.  if he wants more, theyll want to drive the $ aav down.

personally i think backes is overrated.  not that creative offensively, not great defensively, and average on the draw.  hes a grinder that can pot 50-60 points.  he got value for sure, but I wouldnt want to break the bank on him.  

for a guy who seems like he should be the prototypical playoff performer, hes got a whopping 5 goals and 13 points in 29 career games and has led his team to the 2nd round once in 9 seasons.  I hope they overpay for him.

He's having a bad year for sure, and he isn't worth that money, but the way you describe him- a grinder with 60 pts isnt anything to scoff at. If Virtanen or Horvat gets 60pts in their prime, I'd be excited

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That Kesler contract really screwed things up for alot of teams I think.

Now 50-60 point guys are going to use him as a comparable for what they should be making.

Kesler's overpaid in term and $$$, so that should be a warning to anyone trying to negotiate a similar deal. Same with Bieksa's contract they hammered out after the trade, the Canucks were right to not want any part of that (although I doubt he would have gone for so much here).

Backes is still pretty steady but is definitely not an improving commodity at this point and the Blues would be smart to keep him on a shorter deal (3-5 years) without going too much higher (~$6-6.5M). And that's without having a look at any cap issues that might create for them, so factor that in as well.

Not much reality going around.

Backes will get more than 6 and easily 4 or more.

People going on about his scoring pace this year....he started slowly (6pts in first 17 games - and his regular self since)  - he's a 55-60 pt player.   Guys that score in that range and are creampuffs get the kind of contracts St Louis is offering.

He's playing a shutdown role with Brouwer.  39% offensive zone starts and they're facing the strongest quality of competition on their team.

7th in the NHL in hits, always has a strong turnover differential, always plays a solid two way game.

And he's their captain.  I really don't care for the guy, but realistically....

3 x 5.5  is a pipe-dream lowball.  

On 1/25/2016 at 0:05 PM, Pyrene said:

He's having a bad year for sure, and he isn't worth that money, but the way you describe him- a grinder with 60 pts isnt anything to scoff at. If Virtanen or Horvat gets 60pts in their prime, I'd be excited

Definitely not scoffing at all.  But being 31 and playing that style, one would assume that the decline is on the way.

On 1/24/2016 at 3:49 PM, MJDDawg said:

Poor man's Kesler. I don't think that offer is that far off.

I'd say Kelser is more of a poor man's Backes.  Kesler is very unlikely to break 50 points on his 6.85mil 6 year deal (NTC too!). 5.5mil and only 3 years for a guy always put up 50+  is laughable.

Archived