The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zalewski reassigned. Prust & McCann extras in practice

Boddy604

2 minutes ago, Heated Blue said:

Oh for sure.  I just hope he eases back into it and doesn't push too hard to quickly.  I have seen way too many players end up right back on IR by pushing too hard. 

Sutter will for sure take a couple games to find his niche again. He's been skating since before Christmas though. He might be just fine.

As others have said...pretty much means Prust is gone soon.  Pretty hard to have a guy who is supposed to play a tough-guy role sit for numerous games and then ask him to go out and fight for the team.

Hopefully he gets moved soon.

Maybe Prust and Vrbata packaged to Montreal?

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Got a feeling Zalewski will come back soon once we can resolve the Prust situation. Zalewski looks to be a much better fit for our 4th line.

I was thinking the same thing. I like Z. He has size, speed, and aggressiveness. And his hockey sense has improved a lot. I could see him as a valuable 4th liner.

5 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

As others have said...pretty much means Prust is gone soon.  Pretty hard to have a guy who is supposed to play a tough-guy role sit for numerous games and then ask him to go out and fight for the team.

Hopefully he gets moved soon.

Maybe Prust and Vrbata packaged to Montreal?

Unfortunately it was pretty hard to get Prust to play a tough-guy role and fight for the team even when he was in the lineup every night.

Very poor decision to not include McCann in the 3rd or 4th line.  This year is about development.   I hate to be debbie downer.... but we ain't gonna win lord stanley this year.......  McCann will be better developed is he is fully included in practise sessions and getting gametime....    Sometimes i do not understand Free Willy's decisions..... unless of course McFry is hurt....

Great to see Sutter will be back, and Hank soon. The centres:

(1) Henrik, (2) Sutter, (3) Horvat, (4) McCann.........goodbye Vey

Although, I'd probably start Sutter on the 3rd line until he gets up to speed.

Hopefully we'll get to see Zelewski with the team again soon, I thought he did well for a guy thrown into the fire like that.

49 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

nature of injurys.   that's why coming back from injurys most players don't light it up , and his particular injury I would say the rest of the season he will be marginal at best.   faceoffs are gonna be tough on him. same with slap shots

I don't think that is true and seems like more of an excuse when players don't perform right away. Plenty of players miss time and come right back into the lineup without missing a beat. Sure they might get tired sooner or their timing might be a little off but missing an extended period of time doesn't erode your skills that badly.

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I like the way Vey's been playing recently, I hope Sutter is on a short leash.

I agree about Vey except for the own goal the other game of course...that was bad.

As far as Sutter goes, it will likely take him a bit to get up to game speed after such a long time off so hopefully the leash isn't too short. 

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Very poor decision to not include McCann in the 3rd or 4th line.  This year is about development.   I hate to be debbie downer.... but we ain't gonna win lord stanley this year.......  McCann will be better developed is he is fully included in practise sessions and getting gametime....    Sometimes i do not understand Free Willy's decisions..... unless of course McFry is hurt....

Can't say I agree. McCann's overall game is very much NHL ready now. Hence why he's the 1st guy to get the 1st line. The problem is he's still small for the NHL level and as such, struggles on face offs. Giving him a night off vs a heavy team like Nashville isn't a bad thing. He just played a bunch of consecutive games, he's had world's more ice time than Virtanen.

Prust I'm hoping will be gone after the all star break and McCann needs some rest he is playing with no confidence and no energy so giving him a week and a half off will really help

zalewski showed some promise as a good 4th line centre...but will he be the next bolduc? I guess we'll see 

2 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

Agreed. When's the last time Weber even played? If there ain't someone calling for him, put him on waivers and be done with it. Wouldn't mind seeing a bit more Fedun

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Biega

Sbisa-Fedun

You're right: Weber has been out at least 4 games, or is it 5 now?  If no one wants him, send him to Utica, we can always bring up the young guns there while we're at it: Pedan in particular.  

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Have you been paying attention? If you have been following the team, you should know by now that McCann and Virtanen are both going to rotate in and out of the lineup. They are both very young and developing fine. Look at Horvat, he played 8-10 mins a game almost nightly last year. Not many people feared for his development playing in a 4th line role with limited minutes.

11 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Have you been paying attention? If you have been following the team, you should know by now that McCann and Virtanen are both going to rotate in and out of the lineup. They are both very young and developing fine. Look at Horvat, he played 8-10 mins a game almost nightly last year. Not many people feared for his development playing in a 4th line role with limited minutes.

I agree with everything expect for the fact people didn;t worry about horvats ice time - its cdc .. you know what went down! ahah 

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Hope Prust has played his final game as a nuck.  Next on my chopping block : Vrbata.

Weber,Prust,Vrbata,Hamhuis Edler, Miller and Burrows =  30 Mil in cap space = Stammer + Buff+ Lucic ++ FFS.

Sedin-Sedin-Stamkos

Lucic-Horvat-Virtanen

Baerschi-Sutter-Grenier

Shinkaruk-McCann-Hansen

Dorsett,Gaunce,Etem

Hutton-Buff

Sbisa-Tanev

Pedan-Tryamkin

Subban,Biega

Markstrom

Vet Back up @2M.5

We shouldn't expect much from Sutter until he gets 3/4 games under his belt though. Personally I would rather have McCann on the 4th before Cracknell.

Cracknell was getting too greedy for my liking, these players on the 4th HAVE to pass the puck if they are going to be effective.

Archived