The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Syrian Refugees Feeling Hopeless

Stanky Legs

This is what I'm talking about. The government rushed into things at the expense of these poor people. Sort this out JT!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/programs/metromorning/syrian-refugees-hotel-toronto-1.3418220

Some government-sponsored Syrian refugees staying at a budget hotel in Toronto say they feel like they're "trapped in a prison" without hope due to a lack of communication, supplies and assistance. 

Virginia Johnson, one of two volunteers working at the hotel, joined CBC Radio's Metro Morning on Monday to speak to host Matt Galloway. 

Johnson said the refugees have been at the hotel for weeks and have no idea when they will be able to leave. Some of the 85 government-sponsored refugees say they're not getting much help, and would rather go back to their refugee camps in Jordan and Lebanon. 

1 minute ago, Stanky Legs said:

I don't know what's your point but we should have prepared better for the refugees. See, they wanted to go back to Jordan and Lebanon!

It's not truly JT's fault.

Anywho, when you want to take in 25000 people by February starting in November, there's bound to be hiccups.

Just now, thejazz97 said:

It's not truly JT's fault.

Anywho, when you want to take in 25000 people by February starting in November, there's bound to be hiccups.

We had time to prepare, Canada made its own deadline just because they promised. The refugees are not in immediate danger as they're not in Syria. 

Now, we the people, have to do something to help!

7 minutes ago, Stanky Legs said:

This is what I'm talking about. The government rushed into things at the expense of these poor people. Sort this out JT!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/programs/metromorning/syrian-refugees-hotel-toronto-1.3418220

Some government-sponsored Syrian refugees staying at a budget hotel in Toronto say they feel like they're "trapped in a prison" without hope due to a lack of communication, supplies and assistance. 

Virginia Johnson, one of two volunteers working at the hotel, joined CBC Radio's Metro Morning on Monday to speak to host Matt Galloway. 

Johnson said the refugees have been at the hotel for weeks and have no idea when they will be able to leave. Some of the 85 government-sponsored refugees say they're not getting much help, and would rather go back to their refugee camps in Jordan and Lebanon. 

There are talkers and then there are doers.  I'm thinking the government officials responsible for helping these refugees fit into Canadian life are talkers.  How about those responsible for helping these people all shut their traps, and get to work?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There are talkers and then there are doers.  I'm thinking the government officials responsible for helping these refugees fit into Canadian life are talkers.  How about those responsible for helping these people all shut their traps, and get to work?

I agree! Now, We here at CDC has a lot of support for the refugees. I suggest we contact the government agencies to help out in our own small way!

6 minutes ago, Stanky Legs said:

Johnson said the refugees have been at the hotel for weeks and have no idea when they will be able to leave. Some of the 85 government-sponsored refugees say they're not getting much help, and would rather go back to their refugee camps in Jordan and Lebanon

The "not getting much help" part is understandable, given how frankly the government needed to rush a response in response to the humanitarian crisis there's bound to be problems/ shortcomings.  It's also reasonable to say that they feel trapped if they don't have communication or assistance (hope they at least have Syrian interpreters to assist them as needed).  Given time those problems should improve.

That being said, they must be saying the "rather go back to their refugee camps" comment out of spite.  Those areas being their homelands aside, it's awfully short-sighted if they actually meant what they said as they were essentially driven there by ISIS as they were fleeing for their very lives.  Regardless of how poor the situation may be here, if I was in their shoes I'd be grateful to have gotten out of the war zone, as many of their relatives and friends could still be stuck there without receiving international support (not wanting to judge them but just saying it as I'd see it, as they pretty much got a new lease on life in a good place to live, and our country had no duty other than moral duty to accept them).

Also agreed with the comments about providing the support we can for these new immigrants.

Was Harper right all along?  

I think solution should be multi-pronged:  

1. Bring some over but make sure we have support for them - housing, sponsorship, schools, community, jobs, etc.  

2. Find ways for those who rather stay in that region to do so safely, with a certain degree of stability, and help them rebuild their lives - housing, jobs, education, etc.  

3. Political and military.  Stop ISIS.  Reevaluate foreign policies - like getting rid of dictators and then anarchy ensues, creating hotbed for radicals - Iraq.    

8 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Was Harper right all along?  

I think solution should be multi-pronged:  

1. Bring some over but make sure we have support for them - housing, sponsorship, schools, community, jobs, etc.  

2. Find ways for those who rather stay in that region to do so safely, with a certain degree of stability, and help them rebuild their lives - housing, jobs, education, etc.  

3. Political and military.  Stop ISIS.  Reevaluate foreign policies - like getting rid of dictators and then anarchy ensues, creating hotbed for radicals - Iraq.    

Canada declined to participate in the USA's invasion of Iraq. Not sure how us re-evaluating our foreign policy would change the USA's foreign policy.

1 minute ago, taxi said:

Canada declined to participate in the USA's invasion of Iraq. Not sure how us re-evaluating our foreign policy would change the USA's foreign policy.

True, that might not be our foreign policy but unfortunately, we reap the consequences of our mighty neighbor.  Not sure if Canada could have done anything to stop Bush II's personal vendetta.    

Just now, Neversummer said:

True, that might not be our foreign policy but unfortunately, we reap the consequences of our mighty neighbor.  Not sure if Canada could have done anything to stop Bush II's personal vendetta.    

The USA was advised not to proceed with the invasion by several of their allies, including Israel, France, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, etc... However, it was one of those political situations that quickly spiraled out of control to the point that the Bush government could not back down from their invasion plans. Canada could not have done anything to stop them.

I'm thinking if they really want to go back, maybe the government can use the C130's. Probably get a survey or something so that we can send them back in groups. We make them happy and we save money on commercial flights.

Probably they can advise other people in refugee camps back home in what to expect and if they want to go through with it.

Archived