The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Syrian Refugees Feeling Hopeless

Stanky Legs

7 hours ago, TheFirstLine said:

I'm sure everyone can see every post stanky has made on this topic is sarcasm to the next level. Pushing his negative agenda once again, mods locked his 10 other threads ... Obviously he was going to take another shot it by using a whole different angle.

Don't shoot the messenger. I merely posted the article from a reputable source.

Im proposing a solution so they'll be happy because I read somewhere that being disgruntled is one of the root cause of extremism. That's what happened to radicals in Europe. Hardship in life causes them to look unto radical imams who took advantage of the situation.

1 hour ago, Stanky Legs said:

Don't shoot the messenger. I merely posted the article from a reputable source.

Im proposing a solution so they'll be happy because I read somewhere that being disgruntled is one of the root cause of extremism. That's what happened to radicals in Europe. Hardship in life causes them to look unto radical imams who took advantage of the situation.

If you don't want to get shot, then don't deliver the message.  I see this message delivery metaphor as similar to the tragic events in Europe perpetrated by some refugees.  The Euroes delivered the message to the refugees to come stay in their countries. They got shot.  

Should we be delivering similar messages?  

4 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

They're good, hey? I was thinking of checking into them...

The books in general are not as sophisticated / complicated as the show, but they get straight to the point quicker. So it depends on what you like. 

For instance, there is a lot of mistrust between the Rocinante members on the show, but in the books they don't really fight. The last episode where Holden was gonna shoot Amos? Nothing like that ever happens in the books.

21 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

The books in general are not as sophisticated / complicated as the show, but they get straight to the point quicker. So it depends on what you like. 

For instance, there is a lot of mistrust between the Rocinante members on the show, but in the books they don't really fight. The last episode where Holden was gonna shoot Amos? Nothing like that ever happens in the books.

Make an Expanse Thread, please. I got bored on the 1st episode. Does it get better? Don't answer that. Put it in the new thread. I'll follow you there.

20 hours ago, TheFirstLine said:

"Our" homeless don't deserve free housing or any type of accommodation. Majority of the people that are homeless is because they're strung out on drugs etc rather have respectable people (refugees) from a prominent background live off my tax money then some bum who if given the opportunity would most likely blow any little cash on more drugs and be on the streets once again. 

This opinion illustrates my point perfectly. Double standard based on race.

White homeless people on drugs, no empathy whatsoever. White drug addicts deserve our scorn, not our support. Unless they happen to belong to some foreign group, then it's not their fault, and we should be sympathetic, not critical,because "reasons."

Notice how TheFirstLine puts "our" in parentheses. What are you implying? Homeless people aren't REAL Canadians?

I guess only those from the "prominent" (whatever the hell that means) Islamic background deserve Canadian tax money.  

Here's a better deal: instead of just accepting refugees, we will trade. For every refugee Canada takes in, Canada sends one self-hating Canadian to Syria in exchange. That way they can gain some prominent background. I would sign off on that.

18 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

How about you switch places with the homeless people since it is the same thing. Those refugees weren't homeless in the first place, they probably had houses big enough to fit your own house inside it. So no, its not really about getting a perspective on things when the West screwed up Syria. They don't all of a sudden become poor because of their own decisions since it wasn't their decision to get bombed.

I was homeless at one point, didn't like it. When I was homeless though, I didn't get all pissy with a guy I worked with when he gave me a place to stay.  I knew I could easily be much worse off.

Point being, they are much better off than the homeless in Canada.

3 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

I was homeless at one point, didn't like it. When I was homeless though, I didn't get all pissy with a guy I worked with when he gave me a place to stay.  I knew I could easily be much worse off.

Point being, they are much better off than the homeless in Canada.

The thing you don't get is that you made some decisions in your life that resulted in you becoming homeless. So you had control over you life and you ended up homeless under your own control. These Syrian refugees became homeless and refugees not because of their own decision, so they went from 100 to 0 overnight because of the conflicts, their government's corruption and the West's influence in the middle east. Do you think that they wanted to become refugees or homeless? No. Do you think that they had control over their own life when the bombs dropped on their houses? No. Do you think that they could've controlled the rebels and ISIS? Nope.

4 hours ago, Mustapha said:

This opinion illustrates my point perfectly. Double standard based on race.

White homeless people on drugs, no empathy whatsoever. White drug addicts deserve our scorn, not our support. Unless they happen to belong to some foreign group, then it's not their fault, and we should be sympathetic, not critical,because "reasons."

Notice how TheFirstLine puts "our" in parentheses. What are you implying? Homeless people aren't REAL Canadians?

I guess only those from the "prominent" (whatever the hell that means) Islamic background deserve Canadian tax money.  

Here's a better deal: instead of just accepting refugees, we will trade. For every refugee Canada takes in, Canada sends one self-hating Canadian to Syria in exchange. That way they can gain some prominent background. I would sign off on that.

Homeless people should be supported but not the ones that got to become homeless due to drugs. If you are doing drugs, its your own fault and no one else. Drug addicts who become homeless because of their addiction don't have my sympathy because they are the ones that gave in to their urge and craving. It doesn't matter if they are black, white, blue etc., its just that drug users should not be given a free pass until they go to rehabilitation under their own will. Now the unfortunate homeless people who lost their jobs and couldn't find jobs and had to support their family deserve to have government support. Canadian tax dollars should be used for people who are deserving or prove to be deserving of it whether its new refugees who are escaping war torn countries or innocent homeless people who lost their job but were previously great contributors to our society and aren't criminals or druggies. 

8 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

The thing you don't get is that you made some decisions in your life that resulted in you becoming homeless. So you had control over you life and you ended up homeless under your own control. These Syrian refugees became homeless and refugees not because of their own decision, so they went from 100 to 0 overnight because of the conflicts, their government's corruption and the West's influence in the middle east. Do you think that they wanted to become refugees or homeless? No. Do you think that they had control over their own life when the bombs dropped on their houses? No. Do you think that they could've controlled the rebels and ISIS? Nope.

It's called pick up the weapons that grow on trees over there and fight, instead of having others do it for you while you sponge off people thousands of miles away.

9 minutes ago, Electro Rock said:

It's called pick up the weapons that grow on trees over there and fight, instead of having others do it for you while you sponge off people thousands of miles away.

yes, because everyone has the balls here to pick up their weapons and go fight against ISIS and eventually be killed. Its really easy to say these things but when it really happens, I doubt you would be the one picking your 9mm to shoot a militant with an RPG given by the US military. Maybe the Jews should've done the same against the Nazi regime eh? So many delusional people here who have said the same things as you while in their comfort of their own Lazy chairs, telling others how to play hero. If only the US and other Western countries never created those rebels to fight the Syrian government, none of these would've happened. So yes, its really the fault of the West's meddling in middle east politics that has resulted in the influx of refugees into Western countries. 

5 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

yes, because everyone has the balls here to pick up their weapons and go fight against ISIS and eventually be killed. Its really easy to say these things but when it really happens, I doubt you would be the one picking your 9mm to shoot a militant with an RPG given by the US military. Maybe the Jews should've done the same against the Nazi regime eh? So many delusional people here who have said the same things as you while in their comfort of their own Lazy chairs, telling others how to play hero. If only the US and other Western countries never created those rebels to fight the Syrian government, none of these would've happened. So yes, its really the fault of the West's meddling in middle east politics that has resulted in the influx of refugees into Western countries. 

If I had an enemy like ISIS on my doorstep, lived in a place where just about every kind of portable weapon is readily available, you'd bet I'd fight, especially if I had the likes of Russia, Iran, France and the Kurds as allies.  

The situation is far different than where you have a group of people being attacked and oppressed with little means to fight back.

One thing I wouldn't do is run away to another country so I can complain about not being treated like a tourist while I rape the local women!

A lot of it has to do with homesickness. At the end of the day though, they chose to come here, and at they're safe, which is what really matters.  Perhaps we must accept that the logistics may not be perfect in exchange for saving a greater number of people.

5 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Homeless people should be supported but not the ones that got to become homeless due to drugs. If you are doing drugs, its your own fault and no one else. Drug addicts who become homeless because of their addiction don't have my sympathy because they are the ones that gave in to their urge and craving. It doesn't matter if they are black, white, blue etc., its just that drug users should not be given a free pass until they go to rehabilitation under their own will. Now the unfortunate homeless people who lost their jobs and couldn't find jobs and had to support their family deserve to have government support. Canadian tax dollars should be used for people who are deserving or prove to be deserving of it whether its new refugees who are escaping war torn countries or innocent homeless people who lost their job but were previously great contributors to our society and aren't criminals or druggies. 

It's really much more complicated than that.  Many people are born into poverty, many have mental illness, many were abused etc.  These factors not only contribute to poverty, they contribute to drug problems.  A ton of people use drugs, middle class people, rich people, and everyone in between.  The ones who end up on the street because of it are more likely to be the vulnerable ones with underlying problems as I mentioned above.  The mandatory rehab thing may or may not work, but at the very least these people deserve our sympathy and our help.

19 minutes ago, Electro Rock said:

If I had an enemy like ISIS on my doorstep, lived in a place where just about every kind of portable weapon is readily available, you'd bet I'd fight, especially if I had the likes of Russia, Iran, France and the Kurds as allies.  

The situation is far different than where you have a group of people being attacked and oppressed with little means to fight back.

One thing I wouldn't do is run away to another country so I can complain about not being treated like a tourist while I rape the local women!

Im sure you would fight ! You probably whine and complain when you miss breakfast or your electricity goes out let alone fight in a war. Judging by the majority of the posts on this topic seems like every single refugee all the way down to the babies signed a petition stating that they are better off going back home. Again a FEW people made comments that they maybe shouldn't have and people will sill manage to lump every single Syrian refugee that laid foot on Canadian soil. Keep them coming.

5 minutes ago, Electro Rock said:

The most ridiculous post I have read on this forum in a while. It is so easy of you to sit on a couch and say that you would fight back. I am sure playing Call of Duty and Battlefield make you think that you are more than prepared to go out and fight in a real war. You totally and completely ignore the circumstances that these people face. They have a responsibility to to protect their families, children, spouses, etc. 

2 hours ago, Toews said:

The most ridiculous post I have read on this forum in a while. It is so easy of you to sit on a couch and say that you would fight back. I am sure playing Call of Duty and Battlefield make you think that you are more than prepared to go out and fight in a real war. You totally and completely ignore the circumstances that these people face. They have a responsibility to to protect their families, children, spouses, etc. 

Our grandparents didn't just fight for Canada, they went overseas and fought for the freedoms of others.

The problem with youth today is they don't have to fight for their freedoms. They take them for granted.  They dishonour their dead ancestors by prostrating themselves as 'privileged white folks'. 

Our freedoms were bought and paid for with the blood of our families, lest we forget. 

I dont have delusions of Call of Duty or whatever,  but if I need to fight for my country, I will. I am not a soldier, but I would do my best.

What does it say about the character of a group of people who would rather run for a handout than stand against oppression? They care only for themselves, not for the freedoms of their own fellow Syrians left behind to suffer the tyranny.

Once they are here, if the time comes to defend our individual liberties once more, can you honestly say to me that you would trust them to fight alongside us as Canadians and not flee, or take the side of our enemies?

Taking a handout is not what makes you a Canadian, it's what you give to your country. I see people prepared to take, but with nothing to give.

Archived