The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Syrian Refugees Feeling Hopeless

Stanky Legs

1 hour ago, Mustapha said:

Our grandparents didn't just fight for Canada, they went overseas and fought for the freedoms of others.

The problem with youth today is they don't have to fight for their freedoms. They take them for granted.  They dishonour their dead ancestors by prostrating themselves as 'privileged white folks'. 

Our freedoms were bought and paid for with the blood of our families, lest we forget. 

I dont have delusions of Call of Duty or whatever,  but if I need to fight for my country, I will. I am not a soldier, but I would do my best.

What does it say about the character of a group of people who would rather run for a handout than stand against oppression? They care only for themselves, not for the freedoms of their own fellow Syrians left behind to suffer the tyranny.

Once they are here, if the time comes to defend our individual liberties once more, can you honestly say to me that you would trust them to fight alongside us as Canadians and not flee, or take the side of our enemies?

Taking a handout is not what makes you a Canadian, it's what you give to your country. I see people prepared to take, but with nothing to give.

The situations are not even close to comparable. 

It's easy playing the victim.  every Refugee should have their head down learning to speak English or French and integrating with our society not bemoaning how bad they have it.  They should be doing everything they can to get work and be self sufficient otherwise go back.

I hope Germans and Swedes fight back against this invasion of rapists that have infected their counties.  the 1st century and 21st century do not mix.

19 minutes ago, Dittohead said:

It's easy playing the victim.  every Refugee should have their head down learning to speak English or French and integrating with our society not bemoaning how bad they have it.  They should be doing everything they can to get work and be self sufficient otherwise go back.

I hope Germans and Swedes fight back against this invasion of rapists that have infected their counties.  the 1st century and 21st century do not mix.

Wow!  You think the refugees are an infection?  Try walking in someone else's moccasins for 6 moons before passing judgement. Yes, we all should work to achieve our best, but sometimes circumstances don't allow for that.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  You think the refugees are an infection?  Try walking in someone else's moccasins for 6 moons before passing judgement. Yes, we all should work to achieve our best, but sometimes circumstances don't allow for that.  

He's right. They shouldn't bother trying to fit in. Just come and try to bring as many ideas from their home country here in hopes it grows another ghettoized community.

47 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

He's right. They shouldn't bother trying to fit in. Just come and try to bring as many ideas from their home country here in hopes it grows another ghettoized community.

Since you put it that way...:lol:. You guys are too funny.

Pretty disgusting reporting by the CBC on this one. They don't even give an accurate number of refugees being quoted. "Some of the 85 sponsored refugees" could be 2-84. Chances are it's only a few since they so disingenuously omitted the real number. If you factor in the thousands of refugees brought in, it is a small minority of them who have complained. Honestly if those few want to go back, let them. The remaining majority of refugees are probably still very glad to be away from the turmoil. Too many people are willing to judge an entire group based on the opinions and actions of a few. 

12 hours ago, Toews said:

The most ridiculous post I have read on this forum in a while. It is so easy of you to sit on a couch and say that you would fight back. I am sure playing Call of Duty and Battlefield make you think that you are more than prepared to go out and fight in a real war. You totally and completely ignore the circumstances that these people face. They have a responsibility to to protect their families, children, spouses, etc. 

Says the hipster from his parents basement...

The situation they face is their problem not ours! They can't clean up their own backyard, they have no business whining or trying to mess up ours!

16 hours ago, Electro Rock said:

If I had an enemy like ISIS on my doorstep, lived in a place where just about every kind of portable weapon is readily available, you'd bet I'd fight, especially if I had the likes of Russia, Iran, France and the Kurds as allies.  

The situation is far different than where you have a group of people being attacked and oppressed with little means to fight back.

One thing I wouldn't do is run away to another country so I can complain about not being treated like a tourist while I rape the local women!

A lot of generalizations you made there about the Syrian refugees. In fact those rape cases that happened during the New Years Eve in Germany weren't caused specifically by the Syrian refugees, because what you are basically saying is that either all Syrian's are rapists or all the refugee's are rapist.

3 hours ago, Electro Rock said:

Says the hipster from his parents basement...

The situation they face is their problem not ours! They can't clean up their own backyard, they have no business whining or trying to mess up ours!

Actually the situation they face is our problems too, its the problem of the West. They caused this mess so they are responsible to clean it up, just like how the US invaded Iraq and Afghanistan and they left those two countries in a worst state than ever before so they could install a puppet, get some oil and establish the central bank that is controlled by a certain elite group. Whether you like it or not, it will be our problem because we will be affected by either refugees coming in or the terrorists attacking Western countries. 

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Actually the situation they face is our problems too, its the problem of the West. They caused this mess so they are responsible to clean it up, just like how the US invaded Iraq and Afghanistan and they left those two countries in a worst state than ever before so they could install a puppet, get some oil and establish the central bank that is controlled by a certain elite group. Whether you like it or not, it will be our problem because we will be affected by either refugees coming in or the terrorists attacking Western countries. 

If you haven't noticed I'm antigovernment and anti Zionist, and am well aware of destabilization efforts in the Middle East.

However inviting these people in is just playing into the hands of the above.

On 2016-01-27 at 1:42 AM, DefCon1 said:

The thing you don't get is that you made some decisions in your life that resulted in you becoming homeless. So you had control over you life and you ended up homeless under your own control. These Syrian refugees became homeless and refugees not because of their own decision, so they went from 100 to 0 overnight because of the conflicts, their government's corruption and the West's influence in the middle east. Do you think that they wanted to become refugees or homeless? No. Do you think that they had control over their own life when the bombs dropped on their houses? No. Do you think that they could've controlled the rebels and ISIS? Nope.

It actually wasn't under my own control. I was seriously injured through someones carelessness and I required back surgery. Wasn't able to work.  Not really the point though.  We have no obligation to help these people. It's a shame what has happened to them but they should be thankful they are getting the level of help they are getting.  Homeless aside, they are still living better off than many Canadian who are not homeless.

On 1/27/2016 at 7:51 AM, etsen3 said:

A lot of it has to do with homesickness. At the end of the day though, they chose to come here, and at they're safe, which is what really matters.  Perhaps we must accept that the logistics may not be perfect in exchange for saving a greater number of people.

A lot of immigrants have a skewed idea of what life in North America is like. They assume everyone is rich and lives a glamourous lifestyle in a large house. Upon arrival they realize with poor language skills and a high cost of living, they are confined to menial roles - such as janitorial work - and smaller apartments.

However, to put this whole thread in perspective, the majority of Syrians are very grateful to be here:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/in-his-own-words-a-syrian-refugees-first-month-in-canada

Archived