The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Hamhuis value

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I determine his value at...

1 quarter portion

th?id=OIP.M924c3a13183289ccc89bd364d3112

Oh come on! He's worth at least a full portion from Dallas.

But yeah, I think Hamhuis could get Dallas' first pick considering Nill has made it known they are looking for a veteran defender. So a 20-30 pick seems reasonable.

30 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What is Hamhuis's value, realistically. How much can we hope to get for him if we were to trade him some time at the deadline (assuming he's healthy by then) or in the offseason?

The problem with answering this is we don't know for sure that he'll make it back by the deadline or how his play will look.  It seems I'm far less optimistic about his value than most people answering on this forum, but then that's pretty normal. 

1.  Offseason, still unsigned while still holding exclusive negotiating rights, having returned to play at a reasonable level-maybe a 4th or lower round pick or something of similar value.

2.  Offseason, after an extension is signed-depends almost exclusively on the details of the extension.

3.  At or before the deadline if he's made it back and looked about the same effectiveness as before his facial injury-not much at all.   It's hard to imagine someone paying much for a 33 YO rental who isn't playing particularly well and hasn't spent much time healthy enough to play well the last couple of seasons.

4.  At or before the deadline if he's made it back and looked like he did at last year's world championships-well, it won't be as much as if he'd been healthy and effective the last two seasons, but could be quite a bit.  I don't see much point in speculating what this might be until we see what he does when he gets back in the lineup, though.

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What if we make him a boomerang?  Then, when he's a UFA, resign him?  

Arizona did this with Vermette.

I think it's probably what makes the most sense, give him a run for a few months somewhere else and then resign him in the summer to be a number 4-5 Guy.

I do understand that the Canucks need to make some moves at the deadline but why does everyone want hammer gone? We are already so weak on D as it is. People seem to forget that he made team canada 2 years ago. He's a very reliable top 4 guy and still has years of hockey left. I'm sure he would like to stay in BC being from Smithers. That's why we signed him in the first place. 

The injury, and subsequent lack of games, plus his underwhelming play, means we'd likely see a 2nd round pick at best in return (possibly only a 3rd).

Personally, as I've said all season, I'd re-sign him. Get him as cheap as possible - 5 years, $3.25m maybe - so that he's there as our Willie Mitchell throughout the growth years of Horvat, McCann, Shinkaruk, Boeser, Hutton, Demko, and whoever else we draft in those years.

9 hours ago, Ursel23 said:

I do understand that the Canucks need to make some moves at the deadline but why does everyone want hammer gone? We are already so weak on D as it is. People seem to forget that he made team canada 2 years ago. He's a very reliable top 4 guy and still has years of hockey left. I'm sure he would like to stay in BC being from Smithers. That's why we signed him in the first place. 

To get an asset/assets for him before we lose him for nothing.

Archived