The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Panthers re-sign Aleksander Barkov

Fair deal for both sides. Starts at 4.5 mill and ends @ 7.75 mill in his UFA year. FLD get a year of UFA and have control with limited NTC, so if they can't come to an agreement he could be traded at the trade deadline. 

Not sure why people are saying Tallon passed on Drouin to select Barkov, it was never going to be Drouin. It was Seth Jones or Barkov. Yzerman passed on Jones to take Drouin which was obviously a mistake. 

How about Monahan, taken 6th, he's got the most NHL goals and 2nd most Pts behind Nathan MacKinnon. Look for him to get a bit more. 

I think Tampa is the only one unhappy with their pick. Everyone else in top 10 is pretty happy.

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Barkovs just starting to break out this year. This deal is magic for the Panthers. Add 2-3 more key pieces and Panthers is a team to fear for years to come. 

That tells you how long rebuilds take. It's been 6 years since FLD started theirs the same time as Oilers. They've had 4 top 3 picks in last 6 years and they still need 2-3 more key pieces. It's difficult to get 1 key piece in this league. 

Still a couple of years away from being contenders when the kids grow in age and experience. 

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

That tells you how long rebuilds take. It's been 6 years since FLD started theirs the same time as Oilers. They've had 4 top 3 picks in last 6 years and they still need 2-3 more key pieces. It's difficult to get 1 key piece in this league. 

Still a couple of years away from being contenders when the kids grow in age and experience. 

Lol.  Well, they blew it then.  Too good now to tank for the extra key pieces they need.....and god knows that's the only way.

Thanks for coming out Florida - better luck next time.

I like the contract, I like the player, just HATE that they call him 'Sasha'. I know a few female Sashas and all I can think of is Barkov getting dressed up at weekends.

21 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

I like the contract, I like the player, just HATE that they call him 'Sasha'. I know a few female Sashas and all I can think of is Barkov getting dressed up at weekends.

Every Aleksander is called Sasha in Russia, including Ovechkin, Semin and Radulov. It's like calling him Alex in North America.

Nickname in Russia add "sha" at the end.

Aleksander sha = Sasha 

I'm not sure I like this deal for Florida.

All signs point to Barkov being a great player. For the moment; we (Florida's management, Lou in his comments this is a Datsyuk skill package in our hands) see this guy blossoming. And know what he will do?

But Bjugstad led the team in scoring as a rookie. And has, until just recently, been better for the team during their tenure. He also took a lot less money to re-sign just last year. But of course there is the magic of talent in Barkov that is surfacing. Coaches, management and fans who watch know he is growing and will be the better player. So why do I not like the deal?

Everybody also thought Stamko's contract was a bargain. As was Tavares. I like Subban's package better!

Subban was held out. And with acrimony. And after his 3 year ELC, part of that acrimony was his (underpaid) 2 year bridge deal which carried him through his development to the point he was a superstar. And they had to "overpay" PK? Note that Florida believes Barkov will be and is signing him before they have to pay him like Montreal had to pay Subban. So many believe it will be a bargain! Also the tact with Tavares, Stamkos and unfortunately for Edmonton, as they have not developed as much, with Hall, Eberle, RNH. So again, why do I like Subban's deal better???

Its because Subban, in spite of some acrimony, is now a Montreal Canadian through a much longer period of his prime. They achieved 3 years, a 2 year bridge and an 8 year hero deal. Through the period where Subban will be absolutely great! 13 years of service and his deal will expire at 32 years of age. Montreal leveraged a much longer period from which they could extract value from their great player.

Stamkos and Barkov alike will be UFA's at virtually the youngest possible age! When Stamkos walks on Tampa at years end, 6 years younger than PK Subban, you will know why I don't like this deal for Florida!

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Every Aleksander is called Sasha in Russia, including Ovechkin, Semin and Radulov. It's like calling him Alex in North America.

Nickname in Russia add "sha" at the end.

Aleksander sha = Sasha 

While I know that, having studied Russian at college and spending 6 weeks living there in my early 20s, I've never understood that explanation. It's like saying that Wayne Gretzky should be known as 'Wayne' Gretzky. Why take the 'sa' part?

Archived