The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid sent to AHL(sort of)

Mackcanuck

Edmonton Oilers center Connor McDavid said Sunday he's been cleared for full contact. He will practice with Bakersfield of the American Hockey League during the NHL All-Star break but won't play in any games.

McDavid participated in the shooting accuracy portion of the Oilers' annual skills competition Sunday and hopes he'll be ready to return when the Oilers resume their season Feb. 2 against theColumbus Blue Jackets at Rexall Place.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=799365

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Not even a conditioning stint, just to practice during all star break. Probably don't want to play him in any AHL games because some guy trying to make a name for himself might end up hurting McDavid. 

Yep, exactly right. Actually, I can almost guarantee that more than a couple players would take a run at him if he played even a handful of games down there. The opportunity to get noticed by higher-ups is too good a reward to pass up. 

18 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Yep, exactly right. Actually, I can almost guarantee that more than a couple players would take a run at him if he played even a handful of games down there. The opportunity to get noticed by higher-ups is too good a reward to pass up. 

This kinda of stuff is just a wive's tale. Oh boy the hotshot from the NHL is coming, lets kill him to get noticed. Just like all those guys who were gunning for Virtanen at the WJC but mysteriously didn't.

1 hour ago, Boddy604 said:

Same reason Kassian and a couple other guys were sent down too. Go down for ice time instead of getting a week or so vacation. Smart move by the Oilers.

In Kassian's case it's likely just to keep him on task. He shouldn't be left up to his own devices right now. He needs to be surrounded by external focus at all times. His last all-star break wasn't a good time for him.

That and he hasn't earned a vacation.

50 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

This kinda of stuff is just a wive's tale. Oh boy the hotshot from the NHL is coming, lets kill him to get noticed. Just like all those guys who were gunning for Virtanen at the WJC but mysteriously didn't.

Just to clarify, I'm not explicitly talking about dirty hits. I'm talking more along the lines of that popular Virtanen hit on McDavid in preseason. If NHL players are trying to give him a rough ride, why wouldn't AHL players do the same, and more? They're the ones fighting for roster spots...

But nonetheless, your Virtanen example is quite poor. What teenager in their right mind is gonna take a run at him? Perhaps an agitator. But most of the teens in that tournament are trying to get into the NHL through skill, rather than causing trouble. 

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Not even a conditioning stint, just to practice during all star break. Probably don't want to play him in any AHL games because some guy trying to make a name for himself might end up hurting McDavid. 

And perhaps,.  Just perhaps , Drouin's point can be taken ?

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

And perhaps,.  Just perhaps , Drouin's point can be taken ?

Oh yeah. albeit Drouin is no McDavid but injury could happen anytime. Drouin was told it was a conditioning stint and Yzerman said it himself. I read a report where Y said even though in the paperwork it's not a conditioning stint technically it is. Y had no intention to recall him, that's why Druin sat after playing 7 games.

Why risk injury for 30k for rest of the year. It could cost Drouin 10's of millions  if it's a major injury. I'd do the same thing.

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Oh yeah. albeit Drouin is no McDavid but injury could happen anytime. Drouin was told it was a conditioning stint and Yzerman said it himself. I read a report where Y said even though in the paperwork it's not a conditioning stint technically it is. Y had no intention to recall him, that's why Druin sat after playing 7 games.

Why risk injury for 30k for rest of the year. It could cost Drouin 10's of millions  if it's a major injury. I'd do the same thing.

Really seems like Yzr commands respect as a GM ,. Where others have earned the respect... Interesting to note the roster below is what he inherited when he arrived in the Summer of 2010.. The team was only minus a coach. Not a bad situation to walk into,. One that could make Alf look like King Kong ;) 

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TBL/2011.html

12 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

you mean kinda like virtanens hit on McDavid in preseason.  ya it does happen.

I don't equate a #6 pick hitting a #1 pick with a solid check the same thing as some AHL jabroni taking a run at a star player.

Archived