The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Byfuglien Likely To Stay With Jets Over Ladd

Boddy604

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/decisions-on-byfuglien-and-ladd-can-make-or-break-jets-future/

Reports saying Byfuglien is a priority in contract negotiations over Ladd. So Ladd could be the guy headed to free agency over Byfuglien. 

If that's the case, might be a decent replacement for Vrbata. He's from Maple Ridge too so he'd be moving back home. He could effectively replace Burrows and Vrbata in one swoop. Produces points, is a leader, is local, pretty much everything Benning wants. Probably could be aquired for slightly more than Vrbata money.

Unfortunate times for the Jets organization though. One way or the other, they're losing a guy that makes them a lot better.

i'll be very surprised if the canucks walk out of free agency this summer without (at least) one of milan lucic, andrew ladd, david backes, or troy brouwer. 

edit: to directly address your post, ladd has also stated (if memory serves, during a hnic segment during the 2010 playoff series between the canucks and hawks) that trevor linden was his favourite player growing up (brouwer said the same), and is presumably why he wears 16. 

so that helps too. 

I think the Jets are making the right decision. Ladd has been pretty stubborn in negotiations, thought I can't blame someone for wanting a bit more money.

It will be tough to replace Ladd's leadership, but eventually they will. Big Buff is a special type of player.

I'm not sure if I want the Canucks to pursue Ladd right now, I'll have to think about it.

If it's one or the other for the Jets Buff is the right choice. He's a rather unique player on the back end with his combination of size and talent. Easier to pick up another forward than replace one of your top D as well.

Ladd would be intriguing depending on what he'd want, would be worth inquiring at least.

12 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

why one over the other ... cap?  Why not both?  

Technically they could keep both but they have another 8 expiring contracts on top of these 2 and they're all young guys they need to keep. Keeping both Buff and Ladd would force them to ice a team largely out of their farm team.

Ladd would be my priority, seeing as he is the captain.  Likely he wants out.  I expected both to want out, actually, but perhaps Buff's agent feels his chances for a too-high salary are better in Winnipeg.  I feel that Byf's best days are behind him and he's already overpaid.  Ladd's not overpaid yet, but perhaps another long playoff run will see to that.  Does he have a ntc?

4 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Ladd would be my priority, seeing as he is the captain.  Likely he wants out.  I expected both to want out, actually, but perhaps Buff's agent feels his chances for a too-high salary are better in Winnipeg.  I feel that Byf's best days are behind him and he's already overpaid.  Ladd's not overpaid yet, but perhaps another long playoff run will see to that.  Does he have a ntc?

I think the issue is Ladd is looking for like 6 (which is definitely fair) but Jets can't afford that. I'd keep Buff over Ladd if it's one or the other. Offense is easier to compensate for than a 6'5 260 pound d man who puts up tons of points.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If that's the case, we're either 'settling' for someone like Demers or we're going to have to move Edler if they're going to actually fix this defense IMO.

P.S. Shouldn't this be in Trades & Rumours?

Far from a done deal, though:  all Winnipeg has done is shift their priorities.  Buff is going to be expensive and demand term.  We'll see if Chevaldayoff can stomach it.  I'm not giving up hope yet!

1 minute ago, Boddy604 said:

I think the issue is Ladd is looking for like 6 (which is definitely fair) but Jets can't afford that. I'd keep Buff over Ladd if it's one or the other. Offense is easier to compensate for than a 6'5 260 pound d man who puts up tons of points.

The Jets could realistically afford both.  I think with all that bulk Buff's lugging around will come a quicker decline.  We will see.

Biggest mistakes of the year are usually made on free agency day. Almost all the UFAs get over paid with lengthy contracts.

Ladd is going to finish with around 17 goals 45 points this year, Hansen will produce more than Ladd on offense this year. That's not someone I want to pay $6.83 million over 6 years which he's asked for from the Jets. If he takes much less Jets will sign him.

Some sucker GM will make a mistake, hope it's not JB. 

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If that's the case, we're either 'settling' for someone like Demers or we're going to have to move Edler if they're going to actually fix this defense IMO.

P.S. Shouldn't this be in Trades & Rumours?

It could be in Trades & Rumours I suppose but aside from my own opinion, it's just news from around the NHL. 

Ladd could probably be had for something like 6 million aav. Leaving 6 or 7 still available after resigning Etem, Baertschi, and maybe Vey. Still enough to grab a D man. Plus getting Ladd would make Burrows redundant so there's another 4.5.

Still waiting for Monty's input on this.

I would have chosen to keep Ladd however, and tried to trade Byfuglien at the deadline because Ladd brings more to the table in terms of leadership and showing the way to all the young guns on their team. However, they haven't had as much success as they probably could have with their lineup, so I can't blame management if they want a change in leadership on the ice.

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Biggest mistakes of the year are usually made on free agency day. Almost all the UFAs get over paid with lengthy contracts.

Ladd is going to finish with around 17 goals 45 points this year, Hansen out produces Ladd on offense. That's not someone I want to pay $6.83 million over 6 years which he's asked for from the Jets. If he takes much less Jets will sign him.

Some sucker GM will make a mistake, hope it's not JB. 

I'm looking at Ladd as a replacement for Burrows. Look at it that way and it's not a bad idea. Ladd-Sutter-Etem, Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen.

3 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

It could be in Trades & Rumours I suppose but aside from my own opinion, it's just news from around the NHL. 

Ladd could probably be had for something like 6 million aav. Leaving 6 or 7 still available after resigning Etem, Baertschi, and maybe Vey. Still enough to grab a D man. Plus getting Ladd would make Burrows redundant so there's another 4.5.

You'd have to find a taker for Burr though...

6 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

I'm looking at Ladd as a replacement for Burrows. Look at it that way and it's not a bad idea. Ladd-Sutter-Etem, Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen.

First you'll have to trade Burrows, you'll eat up to 2 mill on him so Ladd would cost you 8 to 8.5 mill for next year. Why do that?

Why replace a bad contract with a worse contract? Ladd at 6+ mill over 6 years is going to be an albatross of a contract. 

29 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Ladd's skillset is replaceable. They are already well on pace to draft a player like Tkachuk, Laine, etc and  already have Ehlers and Kyle Connor in the system. Big Buff would leave a big hole in their D core and brings a skillset that can't be replaced anytime soon. As for captaincy, the Jets have more of a "lead by committee" system anyways and Wheeler would easily fill that role.

Keep in mind Winnipeg is still a budget team, and with the crappy Canadian dollar (contracts are paid in USD) as well as Trouba + Scheifele as RFA's it's probably the best thing long-term for them NOT to sign Ladd, especially if he's asking for the moon.

Archived