The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Byfuglien Likely To Stay With Jets Over Ladd

Boddy604

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

First you'll have to trade Burrows, you'll eat up to 2 mill on him so Ladd would cost you 8 to 8.5 mill for next year. Why do that?

Why replace a bad contract with a worse contract? Ladd at 6+ mill over 6 years is going to be an albatross of a contract. 

By the time it might be a problem though, the Sedins and Edler would be off the books and Horvat, McCann, etc would be getting their RFA deals. 

Not saying aggressively pursue the guy. I wouldn't complain if we had him though, at this point our only guaranteed 40+ point guys are the Sedins.

10x out of 10 I keep Byfuglien

he is a rare beast in the league, he's huge, skates like he's 190 pounds, is defensively sound, has an amazing eye for defensive plays, plays forward AND defense

The guy is a literal athletic freak of nature and isn't even close to his proverbial prime and while his size may slow him down in years to come he's still going to be an unstoppable force on the ice.  Single handedly killed Pronger at his best in the finals to boot.

Ladd...sad to say is a by product of what he did in Chicago as he hasn't really been much in the way of a genuine leader looking disinterested more often than not and his production vs  his contract expectations means he's gone if the jets lose 5 or more games in their next 10 Ladder is outta there

And for good reason because the jets can replace Ladd from within their system, but no team can replace a Byfuglien

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ladd, Lucic, or Okposo?  

Okposo would probably be the best fit with the twins

Twins are good with anyone. Find someone to shore up the middle 6. Vrbata is gone this year and Burrows the next. That being said though, Okposo is a beast. Yes please. 

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

In order, Okposo, Ladd, Lucic for me. I thought Okposo was likely heading home to MIN though?

Yeah it sounds like that's where he wants to go, but it also depends on if MIN can shore up some cap space to give him a decent offer.  They have 63 mil tied up in 15 skaters.  That's not a lot of money left to fill 9 spots and sign okposo to a hefty raise.  

1 hour ago, Keslerific said:

Ladd is more of a character guy than Lucic, I think Benning would like him more.

Yeah I agree. If I had to choose between the two in terms of someone that I want playing for the team that represents our city and the province, I would prefer Ladd over Lucic. As much as we need Lucic's toughness, it's hard to respect the things that he does on the ice.

But when it comes to Ladd, his age is a bit of a concern. At 30 years of age, I don't think he is going to get much better so any long term contract could become a bevy burden in 2-3 years.

The Jets could keep both, and both want to play in Winnipeg. However, Ladd is looking for far too much money. And the Jets need to lock up Scheifele and Trouba as well. Once all is said and done, they want to ensure they are setting up their team for success in the future.

Buff isn't replaceable. Aside from all he brings to the ice, he also puts butts in the seats. At the end of the day, only two teams make it to the finals. While every owner and GM wants to, they also realize that those aren't the best odds, so you have to make sure you make money. Buff sells tickets. Ladd doesn't. Buff puts butts in the seats. Ladd doesn't. The Jets have Kyle Conner, Nic Petan, Jack Roslovic, and Brendan Lemieux coming up who can all fill in for Ladd in one way or another. Nobody can replace Buff.

Lastly, defensemen last longer than forwards. Buff will still be able to produce in his mid 30s. Ladd is a grinding forward who, like all forwards, is past his prime at 29. Fairly easy and smart decision for the Jets not to extend him.

I'm really curious to see what kind of contracts guys like Ladd, Backes, Okposo etc. - who I think of as the upper-middle class of nhl forwards - receive this year. The squeeze that was predicted after the latest lockout/cba signing is getting more real every year. The rich get richer, and there's more and more talented, budget elc youth. These guys will have jobs, they're not the ones who'll be squeezed out to Europe entirely, but I doubt they'll get the term + $$ they seem to be asking for.

I bet any forward approaching ufa status in their early 30s can't wait for expansion to happen.

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Biggest mistakes of the year are usually made on free agency day. Almost all the UFAs get over paid with lengthy contracts.

Ladd is going to finish with around 17 goals 45 points this year, Hansen out produces Ladd on offense. That's not someone I want to pay $6.83 million over 6 years which he's asked for from the Jets. If he takes much less Jets will sign him.

Some sucker GM will make a mistake, hope it's not JB. 

wow really  . that is his asking price $41 million over 6 years

that is sedin territory in terms of annual contract cost

i just don't see the value ladd brings to support that level of payment

i think $33 over 6 years is a bit more realistic, that is $5.5 average

there appears to be little hope a substantial cap increase this year

so i do not get the escalating expectations of some of these contract negotiations

6 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

Might have to retain salary. A 2 million dollar Burrows would have takers though.

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

First you'll have to trade Burrows, you'll eat up to 2 mill on him so Ladd would cost you 8 to 8.5 mill for next year. Why do that?

Why replace a bad contract with a worse contract? Ladd at 6+ mill over 6 years is going to be an albatross of a contract. 

alex burrows is under contract for the 2016/2017 hockey season for $3 million

i do not see any need to retain actual salary

an adjustment to the salary cap cost by retention might be necessary but there is not cost to that retention

some teams will not care about this issue though

just an equal shrink to the available salary cap by the amount of any such retention

i do not think burrows will be traded

20 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

alex burrows is under contract for the 2016/2017 hockey season for $3 million

i do not see any need to retain actual salary

an adjustment to the salary cap cost by retention might be necessary but there is not cost to that retention

some teams will not care about this issue though

just an equal shrink to the available salary cap by the amount of any such retention

i do not think burrows will be traded

Yes, true. Burrows contract was front loaded.

I wouldn't want Ladd at that salary no matter what , Burrows traded with retained salary or not. 

I'd rather go after Lucic, he's 3 years younger, he's a beast he will score more and bring much more to the table. The difference would be 1.5 mill and I'd rather pay that difference for Lucic. 

Ladd is a leader, a fighter, a proven playoff performer with two Cups to his name and is as consistent as they come. He's having a down year, potentially playing through an injury?

I'd love to see him in our top 6, but the price would have to be right. $6m for 4 years I could handle, but for 6-7 years? JB wouldn't do that.

Archived