The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Byfuglien Likely To Stay With Jets Over Ladd

Boddy604

Byfuglien is the talent that opposing teams cannot stop even if they try?

He is the hulking matchup that no team can handle!

He is the body with electrifying skills which dazzle & brings every fan to the edge of their seat in their home arena. The girls root for him because he is the bad boy who does things he should not. Busting heads and breaking rules. And who can do what about it? Guys are fans because he can do what they can not. And they pay for the jersey's with his name on the back because he is the guy they love to cheer for!

I'd like to see Winnipeg get Ladd as well. He is also a great player. But not on the same scale.

They are making the right decision. Buff is the guy they should prioritize first!

On 1/26/2016 at 4:21 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Far from a done deal, though:  all Winnipeg has done is shift their priorities.  Buff is going to be expensive and demand term.  We'll see if Chevaldayoff can stomach it.  I'm not giving up hope yet!

Wow Chevaldayoff may have just given up a strong hand an weakened his bargain position here by shifting priorities on signing who over who.

Clear choice is Buff but it may have just upped the bidding anti to sign him an thrown the jet cap out of wack.

I still see Buff as a possible signing here yet players like him are rare indeed an I hold out hope yet

If there is one team that would jump all over ladd like no other should he be moved by the TDL it's the Panthers and Tallon.

That is almost a no brainer for sure.  Tallon would gobble up a chance to have Ladder again, if I remember after the 2010 cup win Talon was asked about the dismantling of the Hawks and said something about Ladd being one of the biggest character losses

4 hours ago, bobbyg43 said:

Wow Chevaldayoff may have just given up a strong hand an weakened his bargain position here by shifting priorities on signing who over who.

Clear choice is Buff but it may have just upped the bidding anti to sign him an thrown the jet cap out of wack.

I still see Buff as a possible signing here yet players like him are rare indeed an I hold out hope yet

He won't. Winnipeg will extend him.

Contrary to popular belief from people who live in BC, some people actually prefer the quiet, prairie life. Buff grew up 2 and a half hours away from Winnipeg. Has a cottage nearby and travels back and forth between Winnipeg and Roseau constantly during the season and off-season to see his family. From a pure family point of view, Winnipeg already has that benefit.

Now, as far as the numbers and how the Jets will easily be able to retain him from a financial point of view.

Right now, the Jets have the second lowest salary cap in the NHL. Next season, the Jets have $43,074,167 committed to 15 players. Of those 15, only Postma and Peluso are regular healthy scratches (which every team has). If the cap were to remain at $71.4M (unlikely), that gives the Jets $28,325,833 to fill out the remaining 8 roster spots. Let's just say the Jets were to give Buff $7.5M (unlikely), Trouba $4.5M, and Scheifele $4.5M. That would leave the Jets $11,825,833 left for 5 more roster spots. One of those would be Lowry, who will come in around the $2M(ish) mark. Assuming they give Lowry $2M, that gives Winnipeg $9,825,833 for the remaining 4 roster spots. At which point, they may look to bring in one player via free agency to fill that role. But I'm sure Winnipeg would rather leave the final 4 spots available for players in their system to win the job. Likely candidates to come in immediately (in order): Joel Armia, Nic Petan, JC Lipon, Tucker Poolman, Brendan Lemieux, Kyle Conner, Jan Kostalek, Josh Morrissey.

Again, those above numbers are assuming that Buff gets $7.5M (unlikely) and the cap not increasing (unlikely). Regardless, Winnipeg has everything they need in order to get a deal done with Buff. Whereas Vancouver...

On 25/01/2016 at 4:52 PM, tas said:

i'll be very surprised if the canucks walk out of free agency this summer without (at least) one of milan lucic, andrew ladd, david backes, or troy brouwer. 

edit: to directly address your post, ladd has also stated (if memory serves, during a hnic segment during the 2010 playoff series between the canucks and hawks) that trevor linden was his favourite player growing up (brouwer said the same), and is presumably why he wears 16. 

so that helps too. 

for those curious, i found the video i referenced.

i mixed up a couple things (it was after the hawks won and not during the series against the canucks, and colin fraser was the other one who listed linden as his favourite, not brouwer. i knew that it was a bc boy that wasn't keith or seabrook and totally forgot about fraser. ) but it's kind of interesting anyway. 

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Not that I disagree with your overall assesment and that Buffy is staying put in WIN but care to finish that sentence for fun? ::D

For you? Anything.

So let's assume that the cap doesn't go up. The Canucks will have $15,896,249 to spend on 8 positions. Let's assume that Shink is making the jump to the main squad, that leaves the Canucks with $15,032,916 to fill out the remaining 7 spots. Now, let's say CDC gets their collective wish and Lucic signs here in the off-season. What's that, $6M to be safe? So that leaves the Canucks with $9,032,916 to fill out the remaining 6 spots. Now, let's say CDC gets their wish again and sign Buff, for again, $7.5M. That gives the Canucks $1,532,916 to fill out he remaining 5 spots. Yup.

2 minutes ago, Kraken70 said:

Byfuglien may be priority but the real question is; Does he want to stay in Winnipeg?

Considering he signed an extension when he came to Winnipeg, grew up 2 and a half hours away, and has not stated otherwise, I would say conventional wisdom and evidence puts Winnipeg more in his favor than Vancouver. Not saying that it's set in stone, because I'm not him. But like I said, all the evidence that media and fans have access to point to him enjoying Winnipeg, loving the city and area, as well as the proximity to his family.

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

For you? Anything.

So let's assume that the cap doesn't go up. The Canucks will have $15,896,249 to spend on 8 positions. Let's assume that Shink is making the jump to the main squad, that leaves the Canucks with $15,032,916 to fill out the remaining 7 spots. Now, let's say CDC gets their collective wish and Lucic signs here in the off-season. What's that, $6M to be safe? So that leaves the Canucks with $9,032,916 to fill out the remaining 6 spots. Now, let's say CDC gets their wish again and sign Buff, for again, $7.5M. That gives the Canucks $1,532,916 to fill out he remaining 5 spots. Yup.

I personally don't think we're signing Lucic (nor do I particularly want him, I'd rather Okposo). Regardless, the forward group is largely fine as is. Our D needs to be the priority and a guy like Buffy would fix a LOT of issues if he did make it to market. If he did, I'd think he'd be priority #1 for the Canucks and they could throw money at him. I also think it's VERY possible Burr is bought out.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter ($18.375m)
Baer, Horvat, Hansen (~$5m)
McCann/Shink, Vey, Etem (~$3m)
Dorsett, Zalewski, Virtanen (~$5m)

Grenier/Kenins (~$0.7m / $0.7m)

Edler, Tanev (~$9.45m)
Hutton, Sbisa ($4.5m)
Bartowski, Biega (~$2.5m)

Pedan (~$0.8m)

Miller ($6m)
Markstrom ($1.55)

That looks to me to be about $58m give or take with zero UFA upgrades. Tack on Burrows buyout, Higgins in the minors, Lu's retained and that puts us at roughly $63m. Never mind whatever would come off if we traded, waived or didn't re-sign some of those guys whose spots would be filled by said UFA's. Plenty of cap dollars there.

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I personally don't think we're signing Lucic (nor do I particularly want him, I'd rather Okposo). Regardless, the forward group is largely fine as is. Our D needs to be the priority and a guy like Buffy would fix a LOT of issues if he did make it to market. If he did, I'd think he'd be priority #1 for the Canucks and they could throw money at him. I also think it's VERY possible Burr is bought out.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter ($18.375m)
Baer, Horvat, Hansen (~$5m)
McCann/Shink, Vey, Etem (~$3m)
Dorsett, Zalewski, Virtanen (~$5m)

Grenier/Kenins (~$0.7m / $0.7m)

Edler, Tanev (~$9.45m)
Hutton, Sbisa ($4.5m)
Bartowski, Biega (~$2.5m)

Pedan (~$0.8m)

Miller ($6m)
Markstrom ($1.55)

That looks to me to be about $58m give or take with zero UFA upgrades. Tack on Burrows buyout, Higgins in the minors, Lu's retained and that puts us at roughly $63m. Never mind whatever would come off if we traded, waived or didn't re-sign some of those guys whose spots would be filled by said UFA's. Plenty of cap dollars there.

We'll see who's right

Spoiler

me

and who's wrong

Spoiler

you

soon enough.

5 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

^^ We can certainly afford Buff if he were management's top priority.  Whether the Canucks are Buff's top priority is another question.  I suspect we'd have to overpay a bit to get his attention.  Still worth it though.

I like the guy too, but I do worry about his off ice habits (getting fat and out of shape) effecting him long term, especially as the game continues to get faster.  

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Considering he signed an extension when he came to Winnipeg, grew up 2 and a half hours away, and has not stated otherwise, I would say conventional wisdom and evidence puts Winnipeg more in his favor than Vancouver. Not saying that it's set in stone, because I'm not him. But like I said, all the evidence that media and fans have access to point to him enjoying Winnipeg, loving the city and area, as well as the proximity to his family.

There are plenty of players in the NHL from BC, but it doesn't mean they all want to play here.

Just now, Alflives said:

I like the guy too, but I do worry about his off ice habits (getting fat and out of shape) effecting him long term, especially as the game continues to get faster.  

I know what you mean.  It's a miracle he's as fast and as durable as he is considering the lard he's packing and the strain it must put on his joints.  But I think you have to distinguish between being out of shape in a cardio sense and being overweight:  you can be strong, fit, fast, and still carry serious fat, like many NFL linemen do.  In any case, Buff is getting away with it so far:  the guy can move, hit and score with the best of them. 

10 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

Would rather have Lucic than Ladd. Having Lucic's physicality and toughness in the top 6 would go a long way to building a team that's designed for the playoffs. He should be the priority, unless a miracle happened and we were able to sign Stamkos. 

You're spelling Lucic wrong.

You spell it like this:

Okposo

:P

Archived