The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Byfuglien Likely To Stay With Jets Over Ladd

Boddy604

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

About what? The math? Lucic? Defense being a priority over forwards?

I'm going to 100% own this and say "I didn't even read it" and assumed you discussed Van getting Buff.

So,

Monty: 0

World: 1,293,997,371,117,192

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

I'm going to 100% own this and say "I didn't even read it" and assumed you discussed Van getting Buff.

So,

Monty: 0

World: 1,293,997,371,117,192

:rolleyes:

More that:

-We could easily afford Buffy if he did make it to market (he won't IMO).

-D should be a MUCH higher priority than forwards for Benning and Co. As our forward group while not world beating is 'good enough' (our D, clearly, is not).

-Lucic = meh

14 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You're spelling Lucic wrong.

You spell it like this:

Okposo

:P

Lol, can't argue with wanting Okposo. But I still want Lucic here, is there any way we could aquire both and still have enough for a quality defenseman? (Put Lucic and Okposo on each of the top two lines)

1 minute ago, Sweathog said:

Lol, can't argue with wanting Okposo. But I still want Lucic here, is there any way we could aquire both and still have enough for a quality defenseman? (Put Lucic and Okposo on each of the top two lines)

Maybe if we bought out Burr and moved Miller etc...

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I'd like Ladd, could he play RW? He's Left handed if memory serves. Baert and Bo got that second line on lock next season if everything goes well. Danny obviously isn't being usurped on the top line with Hank.

I'm not sure Bo has the 2nd on lock. We still haven't seen much of Sutter. If he's not with the twins, it'll be a nice rivalry for those 2. Something like Shinkaruk-Sutter-Etem vs Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen is entirely possible. Pretty solid middle 6 too. Actually, let's just do that. Get on it Benning lol

4 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

I'm not sure Bo has the 2nd on lock. We still haven't seen much of Sutter. If he's not with the twins, it'll be a nice rivalry for those 2. Something like Shinkaruk-Sutter-Etem vs Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen is entirely possible. Pretty solid middle 6 too. Actually, let's just do that. Get on it Benning lol

I said for next season if "everything goes well". There are no guarantees I understand this, and I really like Sutter on the wing. Gives whatever line he's on two players who can take faceoffs depending on the situation. We were one of the top teams in the league in the faceoff dot with him on Hanks wing. With Hansen's great play though, Sutter on Bo's RW sounds too good. Trade Vrbata, slap Sutter with Baer and Bo. We good to go.

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I said for next season if "everything goes well". There are no guarantees I understand this, and I really like Sutter on the wing. Gives whatever line he's on two players who can take faceoffs depending on the situation. We were one of the top teams in the league in the faceoff dot with him on Hanks wing. With Hansen's great play though, Sutter on Bo's RW sounds too good. Trade Vrbata, slap Sutter with Baer and Bo. We good to go.

That's a pretty decent top 6 just going off of improved play on Baer and Bo.  If the canucks secure a good top 4 damn things may not be so bad going forward. (Assuming hamhuis amd vrbata leave)

On January 25, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Neversummer said:

why one over the other ... cap?  Why not both?  

They have other expiring contracts but I think it's mainly due to the fact that the Jets are a budget team. They're not a team that will max out on the salary cap 

Those wanting 2 of Okposo/Lucic/Ladd need to remember that we still have prospects like Boeser coming up, and if you sign more than 1 of these guys we're going to be in the exact same problem now (Older vets with bad contracts that are taking up spots). PWF-style doesn't last very long, players like that usually fall off in their mid 30s. All three of those UFAs will probably get 7 year deals, considering it's probably Okposo/Ladd's last big contract.

You want 2 of 3 of these guys for 7 years? At probably like what, 6.5 mill at least each? Pass. I do think we should sign ONE of them, but TWO would just be too much. Shinkaruk/Virtanen/Boeser are three players that need spots in the top 6 in the future, and McCann/Horvat/Bart are already 3/6... Especially considering Virtanen is supposed to turn into a similar player to those 3. We don't need 3 powerforwards lol 

1 minute ago, Senpai said:

Those wanting 2 of Okposo/Lucic/Ladd need to remember that we still have prospects like Boeser coming up, and if you sign more than 1 of these guys we're going to be in the exact same problem now (Older vets with bad contracts that are taking up spots). PWF-style doesn't last very long, players like that usually fall off in their mid 30s. All three of those UFAs will probably get 7 year deals, considering it's probably Okposo/Ladd's last big contract.

You want 2 of 3 of these guys for 7 years? At probably like what, 6.5 mill at least each? Pass. I do think we should sign ONE of them, but TWO would just be too much. Shinkaruk/Virtanen/Boeser are three players that need spots in the top 6 in the future, and McCann/Horvat/Bart are already 3/6... Especially considering Virtanen is supposed to turn into a similar player to those 3. We don't need 3 powerforwards lol 

I just want one personally and just Okposo. The other two aren't going to be worth their contracts IMO.

Just now, J.R. said:

I just want one personally and just Okposo. The other two aren't going to be worth their contracts IMO.

That's my rationale as well. Lucic/Ladd will probably not live-up to their contracts, and I'd say Okposo might not as well. Signing one is fine, but we dont want to pull a Rangers (Drury/Gomez lol)

1 minute ago, Senpai said:

That's my rationale as well. Lucic/Ladd will probably not live-up to their contracts, and I'd say Okposo might not as well. Signing one is fine, but we dont want to pull a Rangers (Drury/Gomez lol)

Okposo is still young enough that a 5-6 year contract shouldn't see much of a production and hence value drop.

He's also comparatively a 'smaller fish' making it far more likely to actually get a 5-6 year term than the max 7 it will surely require for the other two (and at less $$). He's also got far less baggage/issues than Lucic and is a natural RW'er which we presently lack more so.

Fits our team and contract needs far better.

Archived