The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks - Who is our next Core ?

kingofsurrey

Lets face it . We are a transition team.  Vets too old . Prospects too young.

Who on our current roster is part of next Core - IE - we can not trade. 

Category 1  - CORE -  Do not trade. These assets are appreciating 

Forwards. -  Vey, Etem Horvat, Baertschi, Virtanen,McCannn , Markstrom 

Defence  - Tanev and Hutton

Category 2  - need these guys for the transition ) only trade if we get a seriously good offer. 

Spare parts to save for a bit -  Dorsett, Hansen, Sutter. Sbisa 

Category 3  Move ASAP - preferably at the deadline this year any or all - 

This year  clean out   - Prust  ( for a  5th rounder ) , Vrbata  ( 2nd rounder ) , Burrows  ( 5th rounder ), Cracknell ( bag of pucks ) , Bartkowski ( 7 th rounder )    Edler ( 3rd rounder )  Hammer (  2nd rounder ) , Miller  ( 3rd  rounder )  

These players may also be moved for 20-22 year olds that were drafted in a similar spot but have stalled in development....... Eg. Sven B's 

Category 4  - untradeable due to NTC and likely retirement. 

Now match our next core with some other teams: Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Buffalo, etc and we don't have the elite skill those other teams do.  Just how in hell are we going to even compete for a Cup (let alone win one) with getting some elite pieces?  Our next core looks middle of the pack, which means we draft middle of the pack, which means we get more middle of the pack players, which means...you see the pattern forming?  We got the Twins top three.  We need some top three (five even) elite talent, or we are going to be stuck forever in the middle!

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Now match our next core with some other teams: Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Buffalo, etc and we don't have the elite skill those other teams do.  Just how in hell are we going to even compete for a Cup (let alone win one) with getting some elite pieces?  Our next core looks middle of the pack, which means we draft middle of the pack, which means we get more middle of the pack players, which means...you see the pattern forming?  We got the Twins top three.  We need some top three (five even) elite talent, or we are going to be stuck forever in the middle!

We have Draft King Benning now though :)

Virtanen (6th)

McCann (24)

Boeser (23)

Demko (36)

All off a sudden i could care less about picking 15-30 :)

LOVE ME SOME BENNING!!!

9 minutes ago, xereau said:

Edler for a 3rd rounder?  Are you high?

Canuck fans consistently rate their players too high.

Edler was a 3rd round 91 st overall draft choice.   That is all he is worth on the market.  His stock has dropped the last 2 years.

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Edler was a 3rd round 91 st overall draft choice.   That is all he is worth on the market.  His stock has dropped the last 2 years.

Dude Edler is a top 4 Dman on any contending team. He is worth a 1st and a prospect IMHO. I may be over valuing him a bit but you my friend are majorly under valuing him

Lack got us a 3rd AND a 7th!

Bieksa got a 2nd!

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So then Datsyuk and Zetterberg should be worth 6th and 7th round picks...

I think pretty much any player on our team  ( prospects ) could be traded if the right offer came in.

The only players i would most likely not trade would be

Horvat, McCann, Markstrom, Virtanen,   from prospects Demko. Boeser 

7 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

Dude Edler is a top 4 Dman on any contending team. He is worth a 1st and a prospect IMHO. I may be over valuing him a bit but you my friend are majorly under valuing him

Dude Edler is a top 4 Dman on any team ranked 25 - 30th  in the league.

He has declined in play and production for 4 consecutive years now. If he was your car, you should have traded it in a few years ago.

Archived