The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks - Who is our next Core ?

kingofsurrey

4 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

We have Draft King Benning now though :)

Virtanen (6th)

McCann (24)

Boeser (23)

Demko (36)

All off a sudden i could care less about picking 15-30 :)

LOVE ME SOME BENNING!!!

Mcdavid

Eichel

Bennett

Barkov

I like JBs job so far too, but it would be nice to add a guy (or two) of this level up front too.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Mcdavid

Eichel

Bennett

Barkov

I like JBs job so far too, but it would be nice to add a guy (or two) of this level up front too.

While its great to have them players its also not to great. Great players come with huge price tags. Just think about edmonton for a second. 

When McDavids ELC is up he will get 8-10M. So between him, Eberle, RNH, Hall that will be pushing 30M for 1 1/3 of a line. Then u think about draisitl, nurse, and all the other young stars they will be forced to make a bold move that may come back to haunt them. If i were them i would move RNH, Eberle, and Yakupov now and try and fill out their D, because if they wait too long they will be in a situation where said players will HAVE to be traded and other GMs will use that as a negotiation tactic to low ball them.

Not saying i wouldnt want a top 3 pick but its not a for sure need.

For example: Call me crazy but i wouldnt pay 10+M for Stamkos. Too much $on 1 player, But thats just my opinion and we all got our own. Not trying to argue your point, it is a good 1 and theres nothing wrong with it.

7 minutes ago, LateNightBus said:

Agree but I would like to see an Aaron Eckblad type D added^_^

Yes, that's a must too.  Often the top d guys come from the second round too.  Doughty and Ekblad were top picks, but Keith and Weber were second rounders.  We deserve to get lucky with one of our picks, and get that star d man.  ::D

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canuck fans consistently rate their players too high.

Edler was a 3rd round 91 st overall draft choice.   That is all he is worth on the market.  His stock has dropped the last 2 years.

Man, if only Gillis knew about this deal in 2013, we had Cam Barker (third overall in 2004) we could have flipped him for the third or fourth overall pick and gotten Seth Jones!

2 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

While its great to have them players its also not to great. Great players come with huge price tags. Just think about edmonton for a second. 

When McDavids ELC is up he will get 8-10M. So between him, Eberle, RNH, Hall that will be pushing 30M for 1 1/3 of a line. Then u think about draisitl, nurse, and all the other young stars they will be forced to make a bold move that may come back to haunt them. If i were them i would move RNH, Eberle, and Yakupov now and try and fill out their D, because if they wait too long they will be in a situation where said players will HAVE to be traded and other GMs will use that as a negotiation tactic to low ball them.

Not saying i wouldnt want a top 3 pick but its not a for sure need.

For example: Call me crazy but i wouldnt pay 10+M for Stamkos. Too much $on 1 player, But thats just my opinion and we all got our own. Not trying to argue your point, it is a good 1 and theres nothing wrong with it.

i accept what you are saying, but I think the Oilers way overpaid their young guys.  

OP, no way Sutter gets traded in the near future.  He was signed to a 5 yr deal and called a foundational player by JB.  Our struggles with faceoffs with him out of the lineup shows just how important he is to the team.  He's a great two way player.  He's a vet, a character guy, and a leader that the Canucks need to mentor the young players during this transition.  Sutter stays.

For anyone who watches Utica and shinkaruk more than me... could he be reverted to right wing? Is he versatile like Hansen and Burr or is he a left winger and that's that? Cause if Shink with his nose for the net and aggressive offensive abilities could swap sides.. I think he would be perfect with Horvat and Baertschi, or Etem and Vey (if he sticks) but I know he needs to earn his spot like anyone else.

Depends what you mean by core. I like the example of Chicago in defining the core because they have traded away excess players several times and the good players who have remained constant are clear.  Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook and Crawford.

Who fits the bill on the Canucks?

Horvat, McCann.....more to be determined......Demko?

2011 team:  Sedin, Sedin, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Luongo

Only including players currently on the roster or were very recently. Utica guys can't be considered core... yet.

Core:

Sedins, Sutter, Horvat, Baertschi, McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, Tanev

Potential to be core but still need more time to prove themselves:

Vey, Etem, Zalewski

Very important to the team but could be moved for the right return:

Hansen, Dorsett, Edler, Miller

Should be moved:

Vrbata, Prust, Weber, Bartkowski, Higgins, Cracknell

Stuck in that grey area between valuable for the team and should be traded ASAP for the right return:

Burrows, Hamhuis, Sbisa

I'd like to consider Hansen as core but if Hansen could land us a player like Hamonic, Vatanen, Okposo, or something that addresses an area of concern, I'd be on board for that move.

your nuts edler is a top 2 dman gets around 30 points a season on a cheap salary could be paid 7m if on free agency  hes worth alot more than a third rounder   more like a top ten first a second and a nhl ready prospect  but hes got a ntc so hes here to stay    our  future core consists  of sedins edler hansen sutter hutton virtanen horvat mccann boesser gaunce shinkaruk markstrom demko  tanev if another team wants any of these guys  theyd need to massively overpay rest of team  could all be gone tho

Archived