The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks - Who is our next Core ?

kingofsurrey

I can only look as far forward as next season:

Henrik, Daniel, Edler, Tanev, Horvat, McCann, Dorset, Sbisa, Miller, Hansen - D core looks weak

FA signings: Lucic or Stall, Coburn and Brouwer.....who knows maybe even Stamkos!!

Trending upwards: Virtanen, Hutton, Markstrom and Pedan. I'd like love to see Pedan get the 5th dman position next year.

I would also like to see how Boeser and Demko progress, Tryamkin - I'm intrigued but I do not know very much about him. 

On 1/28/2016 at 10:22 PM, Crabcakes said:

Pierre McGuire referred to "the core seven" as the basis of a team today.

I googled and found this by Chip Kelly archived from 2013

Present                                       Future

1. all star centre 1...............................Sedin..........................................Horvat
  2. all star centre 2...............................Horvat.........................................McCann
  3. shut down centre / utility forward....Sutter..........................................Sutter
  4. power forward.................................Hansen.......................................Virtanen
  5. offensive defenseman.....................Edler..........................................Hutton
  6. shut down defenseman...................Hamhuis /Tanev........................Tanev
  7. goalie...............................................Miller..........................................Markstrom / Demko

Is this what we're talking about? 

Players listed are filling the role at present and may grow into it in the future

Great post. This is exactly what we are talking about. Shows how our top 2-D are both not strong enough .  Our  2 of our top 3 C are also not in their prime right now. 

I think the future list will just keep getting stronger and give us a better team than we have right now. Horvat, McCann Virtanen, Hutton , Tanev, Markstrom are all still improving.   Sutter is probably at his peak. Not bad when 6 out of 7 critical players are still getting better each season.  Canuck are on the right track.  Just need to move UFas and stale vets - keep adding pieces that fit the age range of our new core  - 18 - 23 yr olds. 

Maybe Pedan will become the shut down D man. 

Great post. 

Archived