The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ducks F Horcoff suspended 20 games for PEDs

Philthy

Well, pushing 40 years old and only 10pts on the season, one has to suspect that's the end of his career or it's quite nigh.

I really wonder who else does drugs to stay at the top of their game, but yeah, if it's discovered it isn't fair to the other players who compete. Is it fair the Sedins face these people? No, not really. I'm sure if the Sedins did performance enhancing drugs they'd be near the top still even moreso than they've put up w/ impressive points thus far, there should be 0 tolerance.

20 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I don't think they do it necessarily for the performance enhancing effects but more for injury recovery.

Where you are bound to see more usage is in the minors where guys are trying to improve and get into the NHL.

But it's debatable how much better you can be at hockey with PEDs. Most hockey players are tall and lean. Adding extra bulk can slow you down. Sure you might get a slightly harder shot or be stronger in the corners but is that really worth it?

Adding extra bulk in the form of fat will slow you down.  Using steroids to increase muscle mass and strength (and decrease fat making which actually makes you leaner) will only make you faster, at least to a point.  

And WHL Rocks is correct that there are many many different types of PED's used for different types of goals.  Injury recovery, fat loss, retaining strength while losing weight, increased endurance, etc. There are tons of PEDs that would benefit a hockey player.

Hockey players are probably more jacked than you think too.  They don't always look huge because they would wanna keep their body fat low, and don't really focus on "beach muscles".  But if you look at a guy like Marty St. Louis, he has a very strong core and he has legs like tree trunks.  That is the ideal physique for a hockey player.  (I'm not accusing MSL of using PEDs).

Archived