The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Higgins | #20 | LW

Toyotasfan

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

He's not retiring until his contract runs out, which is June of 2017.  We are on the hook with this guy for another season.  Best just buy him out.  And buy out Burrows too.  Make Cap room for ?

I don't think it's all as easy as you make it seem.

I get Higgins but Burrows is a fan favourite and I don't think they'll just buy him out. When has that ever happened?

Besides, what's the logic behind buying him out when you can trade him for something? He's not nearly as useless as Higgins and has the bite to make him a competent third or fourth liner down the road.

On 28 January 2016 at 2:35 AM, beni said:

Higgins hasn't loved the game for a couple of years now. He certainly hasn't been enjoying it for two seasons. 

I have said for some time now there is definitely something wrong with him. 

I never liked him on the 2nd line, he was always a 3rd or even a 4th liner for me but he always seemed to be a grafter. Lately that has not been the case, far from it in fact. He doesn't seem to have any energy out there at all. Something's not right.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I have said for some time now there is definitely something wrong with him. 

I never liked him on the 2nd line, he was always a 3rd or even a 4th liner for me but he always seemed to be a grafter. Lately that has not been the case, far from it in fact. He doesn't seem to have any energy out there at all. Something's not right.

I posted a link to the Sportsnet article where he straight up said he hasn't enjoyed playing for a couple of seasons now.

This thread might get locked. I made 1 a few days after he got sent down and it got locked. Which makes no sense to me because we have an Etem thread and hes a 23 yo on this canucks as higgins is a comet so i dont get it? Lol. Dont mind me i just like to complain :P

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, McHortanen said:

This thread might get locked. I made 1 a few days after he got sent down and it got locked. Which makes no sense to me because we have an Etem thread and hes a 23 yo on this canucks as higgins is a comet so i dont get it? Lol. Dont mind me i just like to complain :P

Nah I get it.

Totally unjust for them to shut your thread down. The header for this clearly states Prospects and Utica Comets. Since Higgins is a Comet it should be within the rules to have a Higgins thread. 

There are threads dedicated to Canucks players in Canucks Talk so I don't see why it's any different here. 

First good look at Higgins tonight and he is a positive addition to the Comets.  I had no idea he was that creative with the puck.  Travis has him on 3d line with Carter Bancks and Wacey Hamilton, and I love those guys heart and soul play and will support them 100%, but in the first 5 minutes Higgins had thrown 3 passes where he was doing calculus and they were doing algebra.  And he can stop on a dime and is effective on the cycle.  He and Zalewski were clearly the best players on the ice tonight. 

He wasn't crashing the net too much but he is effective out there.  Playing some PP and some PK too.  Hopefully, things turn positive and he gets back to where he wants to be. He still has something to offer.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

First good look at Higgins tonight and he is a positive addition to the Comets.  I had no idea he was that creative with the puck.  Travis has him on 3d line with Carter Bancks and Wacey Hamilton, and I love those guys heart and soul play and will support them 100%, but in the first 5 minutes Higgins had thrown 3 passes where he was doing calculus and they were doing algebra.  And he can stop on a dime and is effective on the cycle.  He and Zalewski were clearly the best players on the ice tonight

He wasn't crashing the net too much but he is effective out there.  Playing some PP and some PK too.  Hopefully, things turn positive and he gets back to where he wants to be. He still has something to offer.  

He better be, if you're an established player you better have an advantage over the underdeveloped guys.  If he didn't exhibit superior play he'll pretty much be done as an NHL-er since he'll probably want to show he can still play.

Good for Abs to show what he can do though, hope some team takes notice and takes a flyer on him.

On 2016-01-29 at 10:12 AM, beni said:

I posted a link to the Sportsnet article where he straight up said he hasn't enjoyed playing for a couple of seasons now.

Wouldn't be surprised.  Sometimes the hockey life isn't as glamourous as we all think it is. 

Wake up early morning for practice, then off to the gym, reviewing plays, etc.  "Off-days" are probably spent at the gym or with the training/medical staff for treatment.  Your meal plans are probably laid out by nutritionists and dietitians.  Then there are meetings with sponsors, marketing departments, and other events around town you gotta attend to.  You're basically living out of a suitcase for half the season too.  All that and we haven't even included the actual games yet.  They put in more than the normal 40-hours work week like the rest of society, probably closer to 60-80 if you're factoring in travel too. 

Plus, Higgins is also a married guy with kids, so you still have to deal with the normal family things like the rest of society... except you're only home half the time. 

Chances are Chris Higgins and many players in the NHL are still in the game because they're good at it (good enough to make a very decent living) rather than the actual love of the game. 

On 2016/1/31 at 1:36 AM, Lancaster said:

Wouldn't be surprised.  Sometimes the hockey life isn't as glamourous as we all think it is. 

Wake up early morning for practice, then off to the gym, reviewing plays, etc.  "Off-days" are probably spent at the gym or with the training/medical staff for treatment.  Your meal plans are probably laid out by nutritionists and dietitians.  Then there are meetings with sponsors, marketing departments, and other events around town you gotta attend to.  You're basically living out of a suitcase for half the season too.  All that and we haven't even included the actual games yet.  They put in more than the normal 40-hours work week like the rest of society, probably closer to 60-80 if you're factoring in travel too. 

Plus, Higgins is also a married guy with kids, so you still have to deal with the normal family things like the rest of society... except you're only home half the time. 

Chances are Chris Higgins and many players in the NHL are still in the game because they're good at it (good enough to make a very decent living) rather than the actual love of the game. 

I really feel like they must love the game, otherwise the pay really wouldn't matter. Higgins very well could've retired the moment that he was sent down.

27 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I really feel like they must love the game, otherwise the pay really wouldn't matter. Higgins very well could've retired the moment that he was sent down.

Well.... I remember hearing how Alexandre Daigle actually didn't really enjoy playing hockey all that much.  Hence he never realized his full potential.  Yet, he was still skilled enough that he still played hockey for a living up until 2010. 

Then there's Bobby Hull who mentioned that he loved playing hockey, while his son Brett just only liked the game. 

Most of society probably don't really enjoy their jobs, but tough it out.  Imagine getting paid millions to do something you don't really enjoy and is very demanding.... most people wouldn't mind doing it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Well.... I remember hearing how Alexandre Daigle actually didn't really enjoy playing hockey all that much.  Hence he never realized his full potential.  Yet, he was still skilled enough that he still played hockey for a living up until 2010. 

Then there's Bobby Hull who mentioned that he loved playing hockey, while his son Brett just only liked the game. 

Most of society probably don't really enjoy their jobs, but tough it out.  Imagine getting paid millions to do something you don't really enjoy and is very demanding.... most people wouldn't mind doing it. 

In the end, Daigle didn't amount to much in the NHL or in Europe. I feel like he might have said it during his years of (immaturity), but later realized that it was too late. With no other skill, Daigle was forced to continue hockey.  I think it's kinda funny how that works.

There are some players that just don't enjoy the game, despite the paycheck. Or maybe they don't want to put in the physically and mentally demanding effort into it.

Victor Oreskovich comes to mind. He'd honestly rather be an Insurance Broker than a hockey player. That to me, says something.

On 30/01/2016 at 11:18 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Who's gonna start a John Negrin thread?

Do you have something you want to say about John Negrin? 

The difference is Higgins is a much more interesting talking point (evident by the 3 oages so far), so why shouldn't there be a thread for him?