The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] McCann for Dumba

Provost

I posted this idea as a response in another thread, but here it is on its own for folks to flame.

To Minnesota:

McCann + Shinkaruk (or a 2nd/3rd round pick if they don't want Shinkaruk)

To Vancouver:

Matt Dumba

We give up a top prospect in a position where we have organizational depth, and we get a top prospect in a position that we are the thinnest.

Before folks say it is an overpayment, keep in mind that there are rumours that Dumba and Drouin may get swapped... and that Tampa would have to throw something in on top of Drouin to make it an even trade.

"Dumba has the potential to be an electrifying player in the NHL, but he still needs to round his game into form before taking that next step.  He is an energetic player who can score the big hit or the big goal, with his offensive game being more advanced than his defensive play.  Dumba has good speed and uses it to rush the puck up the ice, and once in the offensive zone, he has a quick release and a good shot.  His defensive game could use some work, but that may not be his ticket to the NHL, anyway." - Hockey's Future

As for McCann, we are solid at centre with Sedin, Sutter, and Horvat on the top three lines.  Moving anyone to wing as more than a temporary stop gap is wasting players at a position which is one of the toughest to fill.  Skilled wingers are plentiful, centres are rare like defence are.  I don't see us moving anyone else out (unless there is a deal for Horvat that just blows Benning out of the water, and there are only so many roster spots in that position.

Sending McCann back to junior next year is an option but seems like an unusual step for someone who played an entire season in the NHL.

Why trade 2 of our promising prospects? JB and TL says we're not trading top prospects. We should be focused on trading UFAs Vrbata, Hamhuis, and Prust. I doubt we're re-signing them, except possibly Hamhuis at a home discount price. Hammer will get a chance to prove himself when he returns.

Also, who would fill Dumba's void in the top 4 in Minny?

I'd love to have Dumba on board but I wouldn't be willing to pay that price.

Nah, wouldnt even do McCann for Dumba. McCann has a lot of potential! Yrs from now were gonna have a  1-2 punch in Horvat and McCann. TBH Dumba is over rated af. You really think if Dumba gets traded to TB, Drouin is not enough? Wow... Did Drouins value really DROP that much??? Damnnnn!!!!

Also IF it is a possibilty for them to get drouin for 

dumba, they why would they trade him for mccann with some picks on the side if they could have a player with higher ceiling.

25 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

Why trade 2 of our promising prospects? JB and TL says we're not trading top prospects. We should be focused on trading UFAs Vrbata, Hamhuis, and Prust. I doubt we're re-signing them, except possibly Hamhuis at a home discount price. Hammer will get a chance to prove himself when he returns.

I think what they meant was they would not trade top prospects for older players. A player like Dumba is not a bad target. He has top pairing potential. 

Still the above trade is far too steep a price IMO. I can see the Wild asking for something like that but I don't think the Canucks can afford that price. That is potentially two top 6 forwards.

I wouldn't touch McCann, even for a future top-4 defenceman. I'd consider it for someone with a bit more top-2 pairing quality but Dumba is close, just not quite there though.

I'd do Shinkaruk + 2nd round pick in a heartbeat for Dumba, unless they want defensive depth in which case Hamhuis + Shinkaruk + 4th rounder

I'd not do that if Minnesota added their 1st round pick, never mind without. I doubt Minnesota looks to deal him now anyway, they'd wait until the summer.

9 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

I don't think you can rely on that statement (not going to trade prospects or picks) when getting back a prospect or very young player in return.  The Forsling for Clendening trade, for example, involved trading a prospect for a prospect.  The Canucks will also trade picks for prospects as can be seen in the trades that brought Vey, Pedan, Baertschi and Etem to the Canucks.

I've always taken the statement to say the Canucks won't give up assets valuable in the future for assets that will only help in the present (i.e. no picks or prospects for older immediate help.)  The rule hasn't been absolute, either, as the Canucks gave up a pick for Dorsett.

I haven't seen enough of Dumba to guess whether the proposal is a good one, but certainly a talented RHD who can hit and rush the puck out of his zone is, on the face of it, something that the Canucks might target.

10 hours ago, Provost said:

I posted this idea as a response in another thread, but here it is on its own for folks to flame.

To Minnesota:

McCann + Shinkaruk (or a 2nd/3rd round pick if they don't want Shinkaruk)

To Vancouver:

Matt Dumba

We give up a top prospect in a position where we have organizational depth, and we get a top prospect in a position that we are the thinnest.

Before folks say it is an overpayment, keep in mind that there are rumours that Dumba and Drouin may get swapped... and that Tampa would have to throw something in on top of Drouin to make it an even trade.

"Dumba has the potential to be an electrifying player in the NHL, but he still needs to round his game into form before taking that next step.  He is an energetic player who can score the big hit or the big goal, with his offensive game being more advanced than his defensive play.  Dumba has good speed and uses it to rush the puck up the ice, and once in the offensive zone, he has a quick release and a good shot.  His defensive game could use some work, but that may not be his ticket to the NHL, anyway." - Hockey's Future

As for McCann, we are solid at centre with Sedin, Sutter, and Horvat on the top three lines.  Moving anyone to wing as more than a temporary stop gap is wasting players at a position which is one of the toughest to fill.  Skilled wingers are plentiful, centres are rare like defence are.  I don't see us moving anyone else out (unless there is a deal for Horvat that just blows Benning out of the water, and there are only so many roster spots in that position.

Sending McCann back to junior next year is an option but seems like an unusual step for someone who played an entire season in the NHL.

McCann and a third round for Dumba would be reasonable

tumblr_lyvtpxXRlf1rnzjqfo1_500.gif

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about something radical and use our 1st round pick to try and find a norris calibre d-man? 

That would also be of interest, but there are only 3-5 Norris calibre guys in the league and those teams aren't getting rid of them.

We are also in a position that we can go for a top pairing veteran defenceman (30 or under) instead because we have salary cap to spare and already have a young D and aren't hurt by having a guy a littler older there.

Most of the above responses to the tune of "we will never trade McCann"... I got the same responses when I said Hodgson was going to be traded before anyone else had even considered the idea.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

That would also be of interest, but there are only 3-5 Norris calibre guys in the league and those teams aren't getting rid of them.

We are also in a position that we can go for a top pairing veteran defenceman (30 or under) instead because we have salary cap to spare and already have a young D and aren't hurt by having a guy a littler older there.

Most of the above responses to the tune of "we will never trade McCann"... I got the same responses when I said Hodgson was going to be traded before anyone else had even considered the idea.

Sorry, meant using our first to you know, draft a norris calibre d-man and develop him instead of trying to trade for one which never seems to work. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sorry, meant using our first to you know draft a norris calibre d-man an develop him instead of trying to trade for one which never seems to work. 

Trading for the 21 year old Dumba would be the equivalent of drafting a top defensive talent. The offer above looks good to me but I would rather push the inclusion of the 2nd/3rd rounder instead of Shinkaruk only because I would like the current depth to remain intact.

Archived