The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was the loss to Nashville the deathblow for the 15/16 season?

19naslund19

Just now, PLOGUE said:

On topic, Benning probably would love to sell off older expensive assets, but, his boss wants to get his 2 games of playoff revenue.  This teams goal is to make the playoffs, not win in them, just make them.  I'll be shocked if we see the Canucks trade anyone other than Prust (if they can).

FULLY AGREE.  Playoffs = several million dollars in the pocket of the owner, even if we get swept.  And probably Benning and Linden as well.  I would assume that JB and TL have performance bonuses for making the playoffs built into their compensation packages?   The problem with that is that it is short term thinking.  If you build a team that can go 2 or 3 rounds every year, you can make a LOT of money.  And the Canucks are not there at this point, so we have to be sellers and rebuild.  

I am firmly on the SELL side at the TDL...get whatever we can for Vrbata, Hammy, Prust, whomever is deemed expendable.  But I'm not at all confident that JB and TL will do that, given the dual mandate.   Fingers crossed.  

If we do start selling the vets, we might actually start playing better...

The team clearly plays harder when Markstrom is in net. Miller is not the answer.

Radim Vrbata? UFA with potential 1st round return. Shinkaruk will be a better replacement in the top 6.

Brandon "no show" Prust? Rather have Brendan "Big Time" Gaunce in there.

Bartkowski would bring in a middle-late round pick. Pedan is far more physical anyways.

UFA Hamhuis could potentially bring in an early round pick. Fedun could probably fill in the way Hammer has regressed.

OUT:

Miller
Vrbata
Prust
Bartkowski
Hamhuis

IN: (Potentially though trades)

2 - 1sts (Vrbata, Hamhuis)
2 - 2nds (Miller)
4th (Bartkowski)
7th (Prust)
Prospects included in the deals

IN: (From within the organization)

Shinkaruk - Best player in the AHL right now.
Rodin - Was the best player in Europe until injury, out 6 weeks
Gaunce - NHL ready in terms of overall game, plays in the dirty areas.
Pedan - Physicality we need if we want to succeed. He crushes the other team's biggest players.
Fedun - Potentially a solid bottom pair D.

Getting rid of those vets would improve our team drastically. No more overpaid has-beens.

A loss in game # 50 can hardly be described as the deathblow. Our biggest concern is getting wins in regulation. Only Edmonton(9), Philly(11), and Calgary(12) have less than our 13 regulation wins. Toronto also has 13, while Ottawa(14), Columbus(16), Buffalo(17), New Jersey(17), and Detroit(17) are the next closest teams. That and our abysmal OT record is a concern if we do somehow squeak into the Playoffs. That doesn't bode well for our Playoff success.

Management probably looks at players returning to the lineup as a positive and will still consider us a possible Playoff team. Hopefully they still try to move as many assets as possible and let the young players do the competing. That would be better than holding on to aging assets and losing out on possible future young assets.

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Driving home, listening to the post game radio after watching the game at my sons place last night, Dave Tomlinson was saying what record we would need in our final games to get a wildcard spot. I agree with him.

When I saw this "deathblow" thread, I thought it was pertinent info.

I listen to the radio a lot but I absolutely refuse to listen to Pratt and Bro

Yes as soon as I pressed 'submit' I realised it was from post game, which is my morning show, and not Pratt and Jake which is my afternoon drive time show. I listen to the 2 doofusses (sp) because there's not much else for me over here.

Canucks are going to have to be smokin hot to get in, and as I said, I don't think it'll happen. Here's hoping for a really high pick!

1 hour ago, Screw said:

The bolded is a loser point.

The old school system was  Win 2pts,  tie 1pt,  loss 0pts. Simple 

What you are referring to is not as it always was.

the old system was 2 points for a win, one point for a tie, no points for a loss, as you said.  If a game was tied after regulation, both teams got a point and there was no ot.  

The point awarded now, is a winner point as both teams were tied after regulation and would have, under the old system, still have been awarded a point for a tie.

58 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

If we do start selling the vets, we might actually start playing better...

The team clearly plays harder when Markstrom is in net. Miller is not the answer.

Radim Vrbata? UFA with potential 1st round return. Shinkaruk will be a better replacement in the top 6.

Brandon "no show" Prust? Rather have Brendan "Big Time" Gaunce in there.

Bartkowski would bring in a middle-late round pick. Pedan is far more physical anyways.

UFA Hamhuis could potentially bring in an early round pick. Fedun could probably fill in the way Hammer has regressed.

OUT:

Miller
Vrbata
Prust
Bartkowski
Hamhuis

IN: (Potentially though trades)

1st (Vrbata)
2 - 2nds (Hamhuis, Miller)
4th (Bartkowski)
7th (Prust)
Prospects included in the deals

IN: (From within the organization)

Shinkaruk - Best player in the AHL right now.
Rodin - Playoffs just ended in Europe, may have opportunity to play in the second half.
Gaunce - NHL ready in terms of overall game, plays in the dirty areas.
Pedan - Physicality we need if we want to succeed. He crushes the other team's biggest players.
Fedun - Potentially a solid bottom pair D.

Getting rid of those vets would improve our team drastically. No more overpaid has-beens.

add to your out column:

Edler

Hansen

45 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I find it hard to be excited about trying to squeek into the playoffs.. This isn't a cup contending roster, its a first round loss roster.

I just hope the other fringe teams think they can make the last playoff spots, and drive the price of rentals up.

Watching our young guys play and grow is what we are suppose to be excited about. Playoffs, whether one and done, is good for this team in a transition stage. Give the kids a chance to play with the big boys in the playoffs. And hopefully they feed energy to our vets to play better and maybe, just maybe, this team turns some heads.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

add to your out column:

Edler

Hansen

Not Hansen, unless it's for a 1st + prospects. At 2.5 million, Hansen is a steal. He is having the best season of his career thus far. Can't find many players than can play up and down the lineup while producing top line numbers.

Edler would bring in a nice return, but there's no way he's waiving. The only time management considers trading him is in his contract year, which is the same contract year for the Sedins.

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

I find it hard to be excited about trying to squeek into the playoffs.. This isn't a cup contending roster, its a first round loss roster.

So what. I like playoff hockey when the Canucks are in it. I'm ok with one and done because I believe there is value for our younger players in playoff experience. Plus it's the playoffs where anything can happen. Upsets do occur.

Take it easy....

The hardest hockey this team will have to play is coming up shortly.  Whether they squeak into the playoffs or not is really meaningless.  The effort they give up until the bitter end is going to be the barometer of what this team is actually made of.  

I don't understand this thread.

We should have buried the Pens and we were the better team imo in our "misfortunate" loss to the Preds. We even ran over Boston.

I don't know about some of you guys but that makes me feel excited for the future. There are a lot of games to go, we have one of our best players back and hopefully our best player back after the break.

Keep from committing any more silly mistakes, get some puck luck and lets face it, who can stop us? Consistency is key now, that is harder with a young growing team but I'm sure the addition of Sutter and Hank will help in that respect.

I'm excited. Why? Because we are actually playing at another level in spells now to our opponents and that will only increase. As I said before my only regret is we are not ruthless enough but Sutter and Hank may also add some of that down the line.

We are just about ready to kick some serious ass!!

A. Squeak into the playoffs, get nothing for our Vets (as always), get dominated in 4 games, exit, come back the following year as a mediocre team (yet again) that fights for a 8th seeded playoff berth, rinse and repeat.  <--- Bettman's Choice.

B. Or... Sacrifice a week and a half of hockey, stop acting like a kid with ADHD, draft higher for a chance to pick up a better prospect, sell our Vets for more future assets, build a strong foundation of talented youth, and become dominant for many years to come while ramping a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup.

Such dilemma.

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

the old system was 2 points for a win, one point for a tie, no points for a loss, as you said.  If a game was tied after regulation, both teams got a point and there was no ot.  

The point awarded now, is a winner point as both teams were tied after regulation and would have, under the old system, still have been awarded a point for a tie.

1. Pre-1983 NHL- No Overtime. 2 points for a win. 1 point for a tie. 0 points for a loss.

2. 1984-1999 NHL-  5 minute Overtime introduced. 2 points for a win. 1 point for a tie. 0 points for a loss in regulation or overtime.

3. 2000- present NHL- 5 minute Overtime. 2 points for a win. 1 point for an overtime or shootout  loss. 0 points for a regulation loss.

You call it winner point or I call it loser point. It makes sense to me that if you lose in OT you don't deserve a point at all. I guess that made more sense when OT was played like a hockey game and not backyard shinny.

Edit: spelling

11 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

So what. I like playoff hockey when the Canucks are in it. I'm ok with one and done because I believe there is value for our younger players in playoff experience. Plus it's the playoffs where anything can happen. Upsets do occur.

This is really not true. People may want to believe it is, but it's not the reality.

The only non-division winners to hoist the Cup in the last 20 years are NJ (5th seed in 1995 & 4th seed in 2000), Pittsburgh (4th seed in 2009), LA (8th seed in 2012 and 6th seed in 2014) and Chicago (4th seed in 2015). 

There can easily be a case made that while the Kings were seeded 8th and 6th in their two Cup wins, they were not really an 8th and 6th seeded team as in 2012 after firing Terry Murray before Christmas then hiring Sutter in January, they were the hottest team in the league going into those playoffs and clinched the 8th seed the last couple of days of the season. The Kings were expected to contend that year, which is why they fired Murray at Christmas.

Teams seeded 6th or worse have gotten to the Cup Final nine times and only two have ever won (the Kings in 2012 and 2014) and in both cases the Kings were not really a true 6th and 8th seed team. Sure upsets occur, but the reality is that teams that barely squeak in do not win the Cup.

I'll say it again though that if the Canucks get to the playoffs, I'll be right there cheering them on.

Benning has a plan. As a fan, I'm excited to see what happens from here on in. 

How the youth has been brought in to the team and how that has reinvigorated certain veterans performances already makes this a move in the positive direction for me, and the season a success. 

It looks like a really tight division. As mentioned, our rivals with games in hand will be tough to break. Especially Anaheim. And hey, McDavid's back too.

At this point an unintentional tank, if it happens... I'd be ok with it. As long as they try to win every night.

15 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

This is really not true. People may want to believe it is, but it's not the reality.

The only non-division winners to hoist the Cup in the last 20 years are NJ (5th seed in 1995 & 4th seed in 2000), Pittsburgh (4th seed in 2009), LA (8th seed in 2012 and 6th seed in 2014) and Chicago (4th seed in 2015). 

There can easily be a case made that while the Kings were seeded 8th and 6th in their two Cup wins, they were not really an 8th and 6th seeded team as in 2012 after firing Terry Murray before Christmas then hiring Sutter in January, they were the hottest team in the league going into those playoffs and clinched the 8th seed the last couple of days of the season. The Kings were expected to contend that year, which is why they fired Murray at Christmas.

Teams seeded 6th or worse have gotten to the Cup Final nine times and only two have ever won (the Kings in 2012 and 2014) and in both cases the Kings were not really a true 6th and 8th seed team. Sure upsets occur, but the reality is that teams that barely squeak in do not win the Cup.

I'll say it again though that if the Canucks get to the playoffs, I'll be right there cheering them on.

I'm being selfish more than anything. You are right though, the Cinderella teams tend to have the other shoe drop before the SC Finals.

If the Canucks get hot and surge into the playoffs, we will still have to deal with the legion of tankers and their proposed agendas.

Archived