The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]VAN-EDM

KB3RK17

Canucks acquire: D Nikita Nikitin

Oilers acquire: LW Chris Higgins

Why Vancouver does it: We add a bit of depth on defence and get rid of the contract of Chris Higgins which has another year remaining after this year at 2.5 m. Also, Nikitin's contract ends by the end of this season freeing up cap space. Worse come to worse, he can play in Utica for the remainder of the season. I also wouldn't mind retaining a bit of Higgins's contract to make this go through.

Why Edmonton does it: Edmonton gets rid of the contract of Nikita Nikitin who is not in their plans with their log jam on defence. They also add a depth veteran bottom six forward in Chris Higgins who can be a good mentor to their younger players. Also, Higgins should definitely benefit from a change in scenery.

13 minutes ago, KB3RK17 said:

Why Vancouver does it: We add a bit of depth on defence and get rid of the contract of Chris Higgins which has another year remaining after this year at 2.5 m. Also, Nikitin's contract ends by the end of this season freeing up cap space. Worse come to worse, he can play in Utica for the remainder of the season. I also wouldn't mind retaining a bit of Higgins's contract to make this go through.

Why Edmonton does it: Edmonton gets rid of the contract of Nikita Nikitin who is not in their plans with their log jam on defence. They also add a depth veteran bottom six forward in Chris Higgins who can be a good mentor to their younger players. Also, Higgins should definitely benefit from a change in scenery.

No team wants Higgins.  I like Higgins too, but there comes a time when guys just can't keep up anymore.  His time has come and gone.  

29 minutes ago, KB3RK17 said:

If indeed Nikitin is contract free and UFA at years end, Edmonton has no reason to trade him with the massive amount of injuries they've suffered lately.

Like at all

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No team wants Higgins.  I like Higgins too, but there comes a time when guys just can't keep up anymore.  His time has come and gone.  

could,nt agree more,  as a fan watching certain players you can't help wondering how much their heart remain,s in it. looking at it that way the usual suspects surface again,  making me think its bordering on selfishness,.suspects are in order..higgins, burrows, vrabata, elder coincidence? 

Nikitin is terrible. He was cut at the beginning of the season, but was called up due to injuries.

Basically, he couldn't even crack the last place defence the Oilers have. Oilers would do this trade in a heartbeat. I'd rather keep Higgin's positive attitude in the minors than bring in that plug they call a defenceman.

There are far better players that have come through the waiver wire.

To be fair, I think that OP's trade proposal came due to the notion that Nikita is also a buried contract and so it might make sense (given team needs) to swap the dead weights to see if either one could pan out for their new team.  

On paper, both guys have skill-sets (Nikita being the puck-mover who put up numbers with Columbus, Chris the third-line guy and strong PK option who could be more alongside skilled guys) that the other team could desire but at this stage neither player should be seen as more than a low-risk, medium-reward gamble to see if their new player regains their form.  There are definite reasons why neither team would pull the trigger though (Nikita could be signed for cheap next season if we did want him, while Higgins has another season; both are aging and struggling with inconsistency).

Should this trade happen, that sound you hear is that of NHL GM"s scraping the bottom of the barrel.    

33 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

Nikitin is terrible. He was cut at the beginning of the season, but was called up due to injuries.

Basically, he couldn't even crack the last place defence the Oilers have. Oilers would do this trade in a heartbeat. I'd rather keep Higgin's positive attitude in the minors than bring in that plug they call a defenceman.

There are far better players that have come through the waiver wire.

No one wants Higgins. No one wants Nikitin. Nikitin's is only under contract for the next 30 games or so. Higgins still has a year left. The Canucks  make this trade in a heartbeat. The Oilers quite easily decline.

Just now, Toews said:

No one wants Higgins. No one wants Nikitin. Nikitin's is only under contract for the next 30 games or so. Higgins still has a year left. The Canucks  make this trade in a heartbeat. The Oilers quite easily decline.

Oilers accept this deal because they just claimed Clendenning off waivers. I live in Edmonton and they hate NIkitin over here. They will literally take anyone with term rather than risk putting him on the ice.

Just now, Green Goblin said:

Oilers accept this deal because they just claimed Clendenning off waivers. I live in Edmonton and they hate NIkitin over here. They will literally take anyone with term rather than risk putting him on the ice.

They are in the bottom 5 and there are 30 games left. They aren't making the playoffs. What risk are you referring to?

Oilers have multiple bad contracts on the roster like Ference, Fayne and Pouliot. Why do need to acquire another? Why not just wait a few months till Nikitin is gone?

Just now, Toews said:

They are in the bottom 5 and there are 30 games left. They aren't making the playoffs. What risk are you referring to?

Oilers have multiple bad contracts on the roster like Ference, Fayne and Pouliot. Why do need to acquire another? Why not just wait a few months till Nikitin is gone?

30 games is a lot of hockey left, 60 points on the line. For their fan's sake, I think they'd like to try and win their remaining games. 

Higgins' contract is a steal compared to their other bad contracts.

Higgins is easily top 9 on their roster. Higgins 2 years 2.5mil compared to Ference 2 years 3.3mil, Fayne 3 years 3.7mil, Pouliot 4 years 4mil. Plus they have 19mil+ plus in cap room so Higgins would barely affect their cap. They do this if they want to win (but they don't).

Considering this deal isn't actually on the table, it won't happen. But if it were, Edmonton does this. I mean, where else are they gonna find a proven experienced two-way forward? During free agency and overpay again? 2.5 is nothing compared to the money they've thrown at plugs.

2 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

30 games is a lot of hockey left, 60 points on the line. For their fan's sake, I think they'd like to try and win their remaining games. 

Higgins is easily top 9 on their roster. Higgins 2 years 2.5mil compared to Ference 2 years 3.3mil, Fayne 3 years 3.7mil, Pouliot 4 years 4mil. Plus they have 19mil+ plus in cap room so Higgins would barely affect their cap. They do this if they want to win (but they don't).

Considering this deal isn't actually on the table, it won't happen. But if it were, Edmonton does this. I mean, where else are they gonna find a proven experienced two-way forward? During free agency and overpay again? 2.5 is nothing compared to the money they've thrown at plugs.

Edmonton is rid of Nikitin at years end meaning they wouldn't make this trade. Great you live in Edmonton but no way PC makes that deal. If PC thought he was an upgrade in the top 9(which he isn't) he would have him by now.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Edmonton is rid of Nikitin at years end meaning they wouldn't make this trade. Great you live in Edmonton but no way PC makes that deal. If PC thought he was an upgrade in the top 9(which he isn't) he would have him by now.

This deal isn't happening because it was never on the table. Both players aren't going anywhere unless they improve their play and draw interest by the TDL. Higgins was Hansen last year, well actually Higgins was better with 36 points compared to Hansen's 33. It is possible that Higgins will find that spark again. Players can get going again under the right circumstances. Just because there is no current interest doesn't mean there won't be later on. Good players placed on waivers don't get claimed all the time.

2 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

Exactly which means they need less terrible contracts not more. The fact that Nikitin's contract is over is a huge relief to Chiarelli.

If Higgins was a UFA this year, the best he could hope for is a team giving him a 1 year contract at league minimum. Realistically all he would probably get is a PTO. 

Props for the effort though. You would make a decent used car salesman.

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

Exactly which means they need less terrible contracts not more. The fact that Nikitin's contract is over is a huge relief to Chiarelli.

If Higgins was a UFA this year, the best he could hope for is a team giving him a 1 year contract at league minimum. Realistically all he would probably get is a PTO. 

Props for the effort though. You would make a decent used car salesman.

Thanks I tried.
I used to be a new car salesman. Well it was actually called Product Advisor, but you know tomay-to tomato.

Archived