Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - NJD

To NJD:
Radim Vrbata (half of salary retained)
5th rounder

To VAN:
Josh Jacobs
3rd rounder

Vancouver gets a solid RHD D prospect with top 4 potential, with some offensive upside. He was played in all situations last year but he's had an up and down year this year, so his price shouldn't be sky high. I highly doubt we can get a 1st rounder for Vrbata even at the trade deadline because he's really having an off year, but he definitely still has some value.

New Jersey does it because they're 26th in the league in scoring as it stands so they could use the help of a top 6 forward. They're currently in the playoff hunt just outside of a wild card spot. They have lots of good young Dmen already integrated on the backend there led by Gelinas and Larsson, plus some good Dmen prospects in their pipeline. They have capfriendly reports that they have just over 9mil in salary cap so the cap hit isn't an issue but VAN retaining salary helps their ownership quite a bit.

Vrbata waives because they're more likely to make the playoffs than the Canucks, and playing in the East might turn his fortunes around for this season so he can end it on a good note and get some contract offers in the summer. Plus the prospects of playing with fellow countryman Elias when he returns from injury might excite Vrby.

This would fill in some of the depth we lack on D. But I'd rather have a 1st coming our way no matter what.

Vrbata
2nd

for

Jacobs
1st

Also, why would we need to retain any salary? They have about 10 million in cap space and it would be for an expiring contract. Vrbata is streaky, I say he goes on a little point streak here and there before the TDL and we get what we deserve for him, a 1st.

Vrbata's one of those guys who I think is becoming criminally underrated on these boards (esp. in this proposal IMO, no offense OP).  Not saying he'd get a 1st at this stage of his career, but if he was a guy the Canucks want he'd be labelled on the forum with buzzwords like "top-6", "sniper" and "rental", and even in real life the returns would honestly be higher than what's being suggested.  Jacobs seems like a decent return (good young righty D with potential), but the going price for comparable players seems to be 2nd round pick + average young asset (ref. Vanek and Cole returns), and that's what I'd think he gets, especially if there's salary retained.  

Archived