The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question About Waivers

Boddy604

When a player is placed on waivers, are they then instantly removed off of the active roster then reassigned after 24 hours or do they remain on the team for that 24 hour waiver period and are then reassigned? I couldn't find a clear answer. Was just curious cuz if Henrik and Hammer are supposed to play vs CBJ then 2 guys need to be gone by Thursday. If it's not by trade and by waivers and they do need to clear before being off the active roster, then they need to be on waivers on Wednesday. If Hank and Hammer aren't ready or a trade is happening then it's all moot anyways but I wasn't sure how this situation would work. Anyone got any idea?

5 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

When a player is placed on waivers, are they then instantly removed off of the active roster then reassigned after 24 hours or do they remain on the team for that 24 hour waiver period and are then reassigned? I couldn't find a clear answer. Was just curious cuz if Henrik and Hammer are supposed to play vs CBJ then 2 guys need to be gone by Thursday. If it's not by trade and by waivers and they do need to clear before being off the active roster, then they need to be on waivers on Wednesday. If Hank and Hammer aren't ready or a trade is happening then it's all moot anyways but I wasn't sure how this situation would work. Anyone got any idea?

No. The player stays on the active roster unless claimed. If claimed, by any team, a roster spot opens up immediately. 

8 minutes ago, theminister said:

No. The player stays on the active roster unless claimed. If claimed, by any team, a roster spot opens up immediately. 

And if they clear, only once the player is actually assigned to the AHL are they off the roster. Some teams put players through waivers but keep them on the roster for a period before making a decision on them.

5 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

I just looked on General Fanager and saw Sutter was taken off LTIR and Hamhuis put on LTIR.

We do have some Cap issues and roster issues

I think we'd be ok cap wise since our only additions were Etem and Vey and we cut Higgins salary down by waiving him. It'd be right maxed out though or just over. Roster size is definitely an issue though. We're already at max without Hank and Hammer.

16 minutes ago, theminister said:

6 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

And if they clear, only once the player is actually assigned to the AHL are they off the roster. Some teams put players through waivers but keep them on the roster for a period before making a decision on them.

Thanks for the clarification. So if we don't see 2 guys on waivers by noon on Wednesday then either Hank and Hammer aren't returning yet or a deal is about to happen.

22 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Thanks for the clarification. So if we don't see 2 guys on waivers by noon on Wednesday then either Hank and Hammer aren't returning yet or a deal is about to happen.

Actually I believe we will be over the roster by one when Hank and Hammer return, so either Prust, Cracknel or Vey would have to be traded or go on waivers.

1 minute ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Actually I believe we will be over the roster by one when Hank and Hammer return, so either Prust, Cracknel or Vey would have to be traded or go on waivers.

With everyone healthy, we're currently with 3 extra forwards (McCann, Prust and Hank sited last game) and 2 defenseman (Weber and Hammer). That makes 25 players. Vey already played 16 games with the team, so he would have to go through waivers, right? Something will happen anyway, that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

No cuz we have 14 forwards (Cracknell, Prust as extras) 7 dmen (Weber as extra) and 2 goalies. 23 players. Weber waived for Hamhuis is the obvious one. And I'd assume Prust as the forward but who knows.

1 hour ago, Boddy604 said:

Just one. We're allowed a 23 man roster. We have 14 forwards, 2 goalies and 8 D on the roster. Including Hamhuis & Hank who are still listed on the IR.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Personally I'd waive Prust? If he's really made comments that the youngsters need to learn to take care of themselves!

But odds are we'll risk putting Cracknell on waivers.

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Just one. We're allowed a 23 man roster. We have 14 forwards, 2 goalies and 8 D on the roster. Including Hamhuis & Hank who are still listed on the IR.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Personally I'd waive Prust? If he's really made comments that the youngsters need to learn to take care of themselves!

But odds are we'll risk putting Cracknell on waivers.

For whatever reason, Vey was never added to their roster list. So there's him too. I noticed a couple weeks ago

Archived