The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van NJ

So, apparently Shero is now rumoured to be wanting scoring help because of the devils surprising push thus far especially in the face of so many injuries.  Shero is a GM known to make ballsy moves, As per a few years ago loading up with Neal Murray Iginla Jokinnen etc

Gelinas is apparently being well underutilized there for whatever reason.  Severson and Larssons coming out possibly?

How About

Van Trades:  Vrbata 30% retained,  Weber 20% retained 4th and 7th round pick 

Jersey Trades:  Gelinas 2nd round pick 2015 

Before people jump on the Weber issue, understand I don't entirely know Jersey's blue line or if this would even be attractive.  But if it is true that Gelinas is expendable and Jersey needs help scoring, it is possible that could be an offer that might entice them, especially knowing Shero is a trigger happy kind of guy with the knowledge that his injured players will all be coming back over the next 8-10 weeks before the playoffs

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is likely closer to Vrbatas value then the majority of Vrbata proposals.

Well to be fair I almost threw in Higgins for poops n giggles.  But I don't see him alone getting more than a 2nd and if lucky a 3rd.  If there's a deal with Shero and Gelinas could be coming back I'd jump on it.

Rumours only, but based off of Shero's trade history I'd give it a shot

He's young (only 24) but has been under-performing (1-3-4 in 30 games, -4) despite being known as an offensive D, hence his availability (he's also been a frequent healthy scratch).  Scouting reports describe him as a project in terms of defensive ability and physical play.  That said, he's not far removed from a 29 point season in 60 games, when he did that two seasons ago.

Sticking with the core pieces of the deal (Vrbata and Gelinas), I think that a deal could be made without much salary retention (Devils have around $9 million in salary), and maybe even without giving the spare parts, but that would be dependent upon how desperately Shero wants to get rid of him.  Seeing how Jim likes buy-low candidates I wouldn't be surprised if he looked to get someone like Eric, although hope he looks at other candidates to fix the right side D first.

Overall, doesn't seem like a bad proposal.        

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

He's young (only 24) but has been under-performing (1-3-4 in 30 games, -4) despite being known as an offensive D, hence his availability (he's also been a frequent healthy scratch).  Scouting reports describe him as a project in terms of defensive ability and physical play.  That said, he's not far removed from a 29 point season in 60 games, when he did that two seasons ago.

Sticking with the core pieces of the deal (Vrbata and Gelinas), I think that a deal could be made without much salary retention (Devils have around $9 million in salary), and maybe even without giving the spare parts, but that would be dependent upon how desperately Shero wants to get rid of him.  Seeing how Jim likes buy-low candidates I wouldn't be surprised if he looked to get someone like Eric, although hope he looks at other candidates to fix the right side D first.

Overall, doesn't seem like a bad proposal.        

I just recall last season people were claiming he was the reason Larsson may be available but this year he's become the odd man out.

I'd take a shot at him as a reclamation for sure

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So, apparently Shero is now rumoured to be wanting scoring help because of the devils surprising push thus far especially in the face of so many injuries.  Shero is a GM known to make ballsy moves, As per a few years ago loading up with Neal Murray Iginla Jokinnen etc

Gelinas is apparently being well underutilized there for whatever reason.  Severson and Larssons coming out possibly?

Van Trades:  Vrbata 30% retained,  Weber 20% retained 4th and 7th round pick 

Jersey Trades:  Gelinas 2nd round pick 2015 

This isn't unreasonable by any stretch as far as immediate team needs go I suppose.

What I want to know however, is why Virbata even entertains the thought of waiving his NTC to a team that is only marginally better off in the standings than Vancouver - thereby potentially moving himself and his family 2x in 6 months if he ends up signing somewhere else July1st?   I mean, as far as chances for the playoffs go - NJ is not significantly better than Van at this point and Virbata can just stay in the place he wanted to be when he first came here without uprooting his family.   

Wsh/Chi/Dal/NYR and a couple others I understand - they're going to the show pretty much guaranteed, but NJ? 

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This isn't unreasonable by any stretch as far as immediate team needs go I suppose.

What I want to know however, is why Virbata even entertains the thought of waiving his NTC to a team that is only marginally better off in the standings than Vancouver - thereby potentially moving himself and his family 2x in 6 months if he ends up signing somewhere else July1st?   I mean, as far as chances for the playoffs go - NJ is not significantly better than Van at this point and Virbata can just stay in the place he wanted to be when he first came here without uprooting his family.   

Wsh/Chi/Dal/NYR and a couple others I understand - they're going to the show pretty much guaranteed, but NJ? 

Maybe cuz he's peeved (speculating here, very admittedly) that he's not playing with the Twins as alluded when hired? And he gets to live in Metropolitan NY...

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think the answer to that might be, Jersey needs upfront scoring and has a penchant for signing guys like Vrbata to post rental deals.

Hard to say with his production thus far that he's going to be getting many offers next season, might be his best chance to endear himself to a new GM who might be willing to give him a few million for a season or two

16 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think its a good proposal.  Might not even have to retain salary as Gelinas is starting to lapse into the project category again, ala Baertschi, Vey...  But I would much rather toss Vrbata than a 2knd!

Gelinas is a big RHS, no?

Left shooting D man, 6 foot 4 218 pounds

Eric Gelinas – It’s been difficult for the 24-year-old defenceman to earn a regular spot on the New Jersey blueline, despite posting favourable possession numbers. He also has a bomb from the point on the power play, so if Gelinas isn’t a fit in New Jersey, then maybe he can be used to bring in scoring help for the Devils.

its too bad gelinas isnt a rhd, we could send them bart so he has a spot on roster, still allowing us to move weber for a conditional pick.

Vrbata or I thought even higgins for a less return could be a fit for NJ, Cammaleri is hurt again tho seems like he cant get over the injury or is it a new ailment?

I don't really see where Gelinas fits into the line-up (even if I want him just cuz he's related to Marty), with Pedan looking more and more like a lock for next year, Sbisa locked up and Tryamkin likely making it over the ocean. In this proposal I'd honestly rather the Canucks drop the 4th and 7th picks and get a 2nd and 3rd for Vrbata.

Saying that, the value is pretty much bang on for what Vrbata will bring in. If Benning made this deal and had Gelinas competing for spots with Sbisa, Pedan and Tryamkin next year, it wouldn't be the worst value. Gelinas has a lot of upside, but is on a 90 game sophomore slump so far. 

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I don't really see where Gelinas fits into the line-up (even if I want him just cuz he's related to Marty), with Pedan looking more and more like a lock for next year, Sbisa locked up and Tryamkin likely making it over the ocean. In this proposal I'd honestly rather the Canucks drop the 4th and 7th picks and get a 2nd and 3rd for Vrbata.

Saying that, the value is pretty much bang on for what Vrbata will bring in. If Benning made this deal and had Gelinas competing for spots with Sbisa, Pedan and Tryamkin next year, it wouldn't be the worst value. Gelinas has a lot of upside, but is on a 90 game sophomore slump so far. 

I'm thinking with an impending loss of Hamhuis and possibly 1 more D man on the left we could find room for Gelinas, alternatively it frees up someone else for a possible package trade while incorporating a larger mobile and younger D man in to the line up.

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm thinking with an impending loss of Hamhuis and possibly 1 more D man on the left we could find room for Gelinas, alternatively it frees up someone else for a possible package trade while incorporating a larger mobile and younger D man in to the line up.

Like I said, I don't think it's the worst trade and I could see Gelinas having some value, but I'd rather Vrbata straight up for a 2nd and 3rd than Vrbata, a 4th and a 7th for a 2nd and Gelinas.

Or trade him for another player who fits slightly better—NJD has 4 intriguing right-handed defensemen prospects 20 or under in Joshua Jacobs, Ryah Rehill, Steven Santini and Damon Severson (k maybe not so much a prospect anymore) that would help the Canucks depth rather than setting them up to manage assets. 

If that was the best fit Benning could find on the market though I wouldn't be angry with that trade. 

Just see his age size mobility and that point shot being more beneficial than a couple of middling picks is all.

Sure could possibly do better but certainly not the worst return for Vrbata, plus we'd lose Weber AND we'd gain another 2nd round pick, and that in itself is a plus in my books

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just see his age size mobility and that point shot being more beneficial than a couple of middling picks is all.

Sure could possibly do better but certainly not the worst return for Vrbata, plus we'd lose Weber AND we'd gain another 2nd round pick, and that in itself is a plus in my books

Yeah, but Weber is a ufa-to-be who can pretty much be buried in the minors for the rest of the post-deadline season. Doesn't really matter if he's a throw-in or not. 

Vrbata (with Weber or not) for a 2nd and Ryan Rehill or Joshua Jacobs makes more sense to me. 

1 hour ago, Green Goblin said:

NJD easily accepts this deal if this was offered right now. But if Vrbata can get going again, we can get a 1st for him straight up at the deadline.

While a 1st might be attractive, again that Gelinas represents the future 6 of our blue line, big mobile boy.  That 2nd represents whatever Benning wants it to as it will probably be a 40-50 middle 2nd rounder leaving us with a chance at drafting our own boy.

I mean I don't know about giving up the 4th and or 7th just seemed equitable for what we'd be getting back

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Yeah, but Weber is a ufa-to-be who can pretty much be buried in the minors for the rest of the post-deadline season. Doesn't really matter if he's a throw-in or not. 

Vrbata (with Weber or not) for a 2nd and Ryan Rehill or Joshua Jacobs makes more sense to me. 

I don't know either of those guys or their projected development curves, but watched Gelinas as a prospect a bit and I always liked him, and that last name alone is whispered right behind the word clutch when it comes to playoffs.

Weber buried or not, he represents a supposed "offensive d man" and Vrbata a supposed "offensive rw" and as Shero as per the rumour; is looking for offense...

Archived