The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petition to dump Mike Milbury from NBC gaining steam.

nuckin_futz

There’s a petition to remove NBC Sports analyst Mike Milbury

YB-Milbury.jpg

Disgruntled hockey fans have started a petition for the removal of NBC Sports Network analyst Mike Milbury that is starting to gain serious traction.

The petition currently has over 5,000 signatures (and counting) from fans who are not fond of Milbury and his role with the network.

According to the petition:

“His rude and demeaning matter has not only made many of the NBCSN Intermission reports significantly less enjoyable but has also caused many of the fans to call for a change, something that NBC has failed to do. Many believe he is a disgrace to the sport of hockey everywhere and he has proved it once again during the 2016 NHL All Star Weekend.

Milbury has said several incredibly disrespectful comments regarding the fan voted captain for the Pacific Division, John Scott. No player no matter what the circumstances should blatantly be made fun of, especially a fan voted player during the All Star Weekend, a weekend said to be for the fans.”

Fellow hockey enthusiasts are chiming in with their own opinions in the comments section of the petition.

One fan wrote:

“Mike Milbury is a classless human being, whose repeated failures as both a player, general manager, and commentator have demonstrated his clear ineptitude regarding the entire sport of hockey.”

Another chimed in:

“Always has negative attitude and lack of class which was epitomized tonight. Time to “move along.”

For those who missed what Milbury said of Scott, check out the video below for a brief example.

****The video would not embed, so click the link below if you like to hear it****

Clearly fans are not happy with Milbury if they are pleading for NBC to make a change. The question remains: “Will this get pushed aside, or will NBC take some sort of action?”

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/theres_a_petition_to_remove_nbc_sports_network_analyst_mike_milbury/s1_7466_20273227

link to the petition (which sits at 11,800 signatures) is here : https://www.change.org/p/nbc-nhl-nbcsn-a-petition-to-remove-nbc-sports-network-desk-analyst-mike-milbury

Just now, Down by the River said:

Being able to give an opinion shouldn't be what qualifies someone for a job in television.

True. I suppose his "expertise" and experience is what separates him from others. I just feel like having an unpopular opinion shouldn't mean the end of his job. 

18 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

“Mike Milbury is a classless human being, whose repeated failures as both a player, general manager, and commentator have demonstrated his clear ineptitude regarding the entire sport of hockey.”

That pretty much sums it up for me.

8 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I don't really like the guy, but isn't he just doing his job -- giving his opinion on matters?

Yeah, it is, but I figure passionate hockey fans want to hear the opinion of someone with a clue. 

10 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I don't really like the guy, but isn't he just doing his job -- giving his opinion on matters?

Giving opinions is fine. It's taking cheap shots and dropping snide comments that people have a problem with.

Nearly 12,000 signatures is nothing to sneeze at.

In a sports entertainment business that features commentating, it is extremely important to employ a select few commentators that will say controversial things.  This is vital to keep the non-game entertainment fresh and exciting, while sparking discussion among the fanbase.  It is improved upon when there is an actual on-air argument with two colorful personalities, such as this:

In which two 'bad cops', or in this case, 'loud cops' go at it and appear to get enraged over a topic.

But the typical scenario is where this is one 'bad cop' who has to voice his opinions against the flow of thought portrayed by the panel of other 'good cops', who are usually on the side of the fans themselves.

If there is now a petition to have Milbury removed from a panel, then that means he his doing his job exceptionally well.  He had the league's fanbase excited, engaged, and entertained. 

While the NHL has attempted to look displeased with the John Scott all-star game appearance, it has very much been approved and fully utilized by the league as another engaging sports entertainment experience.  The NHL all-star game has been a testing ground for new game play, marketing and broadcasting innovations for several years now.  Every year now there is something new for the fans to discuss, debate and enjoy.  The John Scott appearance is just the latest in what will hopefully be a whole new exciting branch of interesting developments and entertaining events to come.

I don't think Milbury will be leaving NBC soon, but if he does go, the formula will have to remain the same and he will be replaced by another colorful personality.

I signed the petition. Milbury's remarks during the All Star Game were out of line. There's a fine line between stirring up controversy and discussion and then there's making a complete and utter ass of yourself by what is spewing out of your mouth. Milbury has absolutely no couth, no integrity, no idea of courteous and polite behavior. He's an asshole pure and simple......a bombastic, arrogant, patronizing excuse of a human being who should not be allowed to get away with the crap he was spewing during the game. Or in any other game, for that matter. He's the biggest bloody hypocrite to sit behind a commentator's desk. For shame, NBC.

mike-milbury-shoebb-1.jpg

29 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

True. I suppose his "expertise" and experience is what separates him from others. I just feel like having an unpopular opinion shouldn't mean the end of his job. 

But its not that his opinions are unpopular despite being rooted in reason. These guys just say stupid $&!# for the sake of saying stupid $&!#.

29 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Giving opinions is fine. It's taking cheap shots and dropping snide comments that people have a problem with.

Nearly 12,000 signatures is nothing to sneeze at.

I dunno, I think petitions in general are a bit stupid and childish. It's more or less a bunch of adults crying about something, and demanding that the higher powers do something about it. No more meaningful than people "liking" a Facebook post.

I'm not gonna comment on this particular one, though, I don't really listen to this person much at all. If he's saying blatantly offensive things, then I'm sure his employers will handle it appropriately.

Archived