The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Berlin teen admits fabricating migrant gang-rape story

Toews

A Berlin teen who claimed to have been abducted and gang-raped by migrants, sparking angry protests and an international row with Russia, has admitted making up the story and was found to have been staying with a German man instead, an official said Monday.

The 13-year-old girl -- a member of Berlin's Russian-speaking community -- made the rape claim to police when she returned after a 30-hour absence last month. She alleged that three men of Arabic and Turkish descent had dragged her into a car at a train station and abused her.

Stories of the girl's ordeal circulated in Russian media and on social networks, prompting street demonstrations by Russian-German communities and right-wing groups.

Even Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov weighed in, accusing German authorities of a politically correct "coverup."

But Berlin prosecutor's office spokesman Martin Steltner said the girl withdrew her claim after a medical examination showed that she had not been raped.

Police determined through her phone records that she was staying with a German man on the night of her absence, Steltner said.

The man and his mother confirmed that the girl had been at the house. No sexual activity occurred that night, Steltner said.

From speaking to the girl, police determined that she had had sexual contact with two men months before her disappearance.

The men were being held for questioning because the girl is under the age of consent, and they admitted the sexual contact, Steltner said.

One of the men was a Turkish citizen, he said.

He said the girl had been experiencing problems at school.

Germany is reeling from a wave of mob sex assaults blamed on migrants on New Year's Eve.

More than 900 people reported being attacked by North African or Arab men during festivities in Cologne, with 523 of them reporting having been sexually assaulted. Similar attacks were reported in other German cities.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/01/europe/germany-teen-migrant-rape-false/

A result of the fear mongering? Reminds me of the South Park episode where "some Puerto Rican guy" gets all the blame. 

This should be a sign/lesson to never jump to conclusions especially when isolated stories like this hit the media and create tension between groups of people. Sure there will be a few that won't be able to adapt as well as the rest but people need to stop judging so quick, also this girl needs to be punished regardless of her age. If she can make up a bunch of lies at the age of 13 then she is clearly old enough to receive some type of discipline so that another person doesn't make this mistake.  

1 hour ago, Stanky Legs said:

I think 90% of migrant/refugee horror stories are fabricated. I think the NYE sex assault and swimming pool stories didn't happen. I think Germany or Sweden are quite ecstatic with their migrants.

When there's a 'coverup' angle presented from both sides of the argument on what actually happened then and there, it's hard to know what to believe.  From afar I guess you can't do much except move on with your established biases, and/or do nothing.

What is annoying however is how false information leads to violence, this leads to 'coverups' to prevent violence, which turns into oppression over the flow information, which sparks hate and mistrust of the government, which leads to further false information and violence.

All this migrant/refugee/right wing/media misinformation nonsense looks like an op to me.  A deliberate means of destabilizing the region.  Probably because the countries there are viewed as 'enemy welfare states' by those who would like their elitism to rise further.

No single example should be used to accurately gauge an issue as complex as what Germany is going through.  There will always be "champion" examples for both sides to promote their POV.  Without politicizing this issue specifically, one side would use this example to show that not all migrants are rapists.  The other side would focus on the perception of Islam's treatment of women and the examples of the "rape mobs" in Cologne.  One takes a micro-example and applies across a macro-environment, while the other takes a macro-example and applies it to a micro-environment.

I'm not making a commentary on the issue itself, in my opinion it is still too clouded an issue to accurately form as unbiased an opinion...which I prefer to have.  Right now I don't, because emotion is in the way.

My hope is that Germany gets a grip on this quickly to avoid public support for a charismatic,nationalistic leader with extreme policies.

2 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

I think 90% of migrant/refugee horror stories are fabricated. I think the NYE sex assault and swimming pool stories didn't happen. I think Germany or Sweden are quite ecstatic with their migrants.

Is this what you are accusing me of doing? Using a single instance to help promote my hidden agenda? It's understandable why you would think that.

People who make false rape accusations disgust me, simply because it cheapens the claims of those who have experienced actual assault.

Unfortunately,  sexual assault is one of those crimes that is harder to prove than say, murder (which generally leaves a body behind)

Thus,  it makes it easier to claim being victimized by a random attacker possibly in an attempt to gain sympathy and attention.

There's no easy answer for this - law enforcement has to attempt to take each claim at face value and try to gather as much corroborating evidence as possible. 

As for the 'politicizing' of the issue, it's one just false claim. 

If you want to use this as evidence to convince yourself that migrant mobs on New Years were a fabrication created by right wing xenophobes, that seems at best unlikely, and at worst, a crazy conspiracy theory.

I do find it odd that the 'Listen and Believe' camp of 3rd wave feminists are so quiet on this issue...identity politics in play I suppose.

8 hours ago, Toews said:

From speaking to the girl, police determined that she had had sexual contact with two men months before her disappearance.

The men were being held for questioning because the girl is under the age of consent, and they admitted the sexual contact, Steltner said.

One of the men was a Turkish citizen, he said.

He said the girl had been experiencing problems at school.

Unfortunate that this little girl has very clearly been taken advantage of.

Also unfortunate how her story is now being appropriated by smug, disturbed middle aged men on the internet as a pawn in their "I told you so!! I told you she was lying about getting raped!!" internet conversations

Just now, GLASSJAW said:

Also unfortunate how her story is now being appropriated by smug, disturbed middle aged men on the internet as a pawn in their "I told you so!! I told you she was lying about getting raped!!" internet conversations

Isn't that the case in nearly every thread on this subject that gets made in this forum? People using some unfortunate incidents as support for their agenda. Heck Stanky cannot go two days without making a thread about this subject.

I made this thread as the incident caused some unrest due to people not knowing all the facts. The fear mongering also contributed to this poor girl using the situation as an excuse to explain her disappearance.

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

Isn't that the case in nearly every thread on this subject that gets made in this forum? People using some unfortunate incidents as support for their agenda. Heck Stanky cannot go two days without making a thread about this subject.

I made this thread as the incident caused some unrest due to people not knowing all the facts. The fear mongering also contributed to this poor girl using the situation as an excuse to explain her disappearance.

That's not true. My last threads were about cauliflower and spit. Oh and if I made threads about the subject, I am pro-refugee even if they rape and pillage Europe. I'm trying to be PC.

2 minutes ago, Stanky Legs said:

That's not true. My last threads were about cauliflower and spit. Oh and if I made threads about the subject, I am pro-refugee even if they rape and pillage Europe. I'm trying to be PC.

giphy.gif

"Damn it Leslie shut your @#$%ing pie hole!"

Just now, Toews said:

sure, and while I personally find it irksome when the murder or rape or manipulation of children is used to make political points by said retarded middle aged men on CDC and elsewhere, I do understand that there is a clear agenda on this forum to either deny or play down the rampant misogyny perpetuated by hundreds of millions of muslims, just as there is an agenda to point out the absurdity of the religion and its followers. people pick their side, i guess

'the fact' that this girl was raped by men two months before she claimed, and (i guess?) the fact that only one of those men fits the profile she provided does not assuage my hostility towards the monkey minded, slow-to-adapt religious people of the world, that's for sure

43 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

100%

boggling posters on here at times who's lives are completely untouched by any of these stories.

wonder if they actually contribute to society in any real way

Archived