The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should Nucks do if they get #2 pick in 2016 draft

By sea and land

Trade for the 3rd and draft both fins.. If only:wub:

Jesse Puljujärvi for sure though, Tkachuk might be a decent rout to though considering McBeavis will be in our division for a long time the physicality of Virtanen and Big T would be nasty to watch.

26 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

If we get #2, we'll have to draft the best player, most likely one of the Fins.

But I hope we can get around #5. Then it will be a no brainer to pick up Chychrun. Win Win situation.

So you don't want the #2 overall pick? That would be idiotic when they can trade down and accumulate picks if they wanted to pick at 5th. Also a #2 overall pick could net a franchise player whether by picking the player or by trading the pick. So you should hope we get as high pick as possible since we would get a better player out of that versus a lower pick.

Don't follow jr's closely, with being away, but it seems similar to the 2013 draft-order. Sounds like the top-5 are shifting around a fair bit.

If that's the case 2013 might provide a cautionary tale(Seth Jones, Drouin, etc...). If it were redrafted today, Bo, Risto & Barkov all might be close to top-5? Even MacKinnon seems to have lost some prestige.

Might also be a sign that development(pro & farm situation; vets to insulate, etc...) is becoming increasingly important. This is where we've really improved.

Offense wins games, defense wins championships.

The oilers have drafted crazy offensive talent, but are still mostly crap. Why? They have crap defence, crap goaltending.

It looks like our Goaltending is set for a bit barring weirdness, our forwards show promise at the very least but our defence is ... not great. So follow the Nashville model of draft a crapload of great defencemen and build out from there.

25 minutes ago, By sea and land said:

I was really disappointed watching Chychrun in the Orr/Cherry game.  Thought he played poorly vs his peers.  I know it's only one game but I'd like to trade a bit further down so the return we get would be even greater.

That depends on the return, if its a great young D-man like Pietrangelo. Otherwise you pick the player 10/10 with a pick since a #2 overall pick most of the time can play in the NHL right away and the contract would be cheaper in the long run. 

1 minute ago, brownky said:

Offense wins games, defense wins championships.

The oilers have drafted crazy offensive talent, but are still mostly crap. Why? They have crap defence, crap goaltending.

It looks like our Goaltending is set for a bit barring weirdness, our forwards show promise at the very least but our defence is ... not great. So follow the Nashville model of draft a crapload of great defencemen and build out from there.

Not easy following the Nashville model since they have scouts that pick great D-men. Unless we somehow steal a couple of Nashville scouts so they could help us follow the Nashville model.

Just now, DefCon1 said:

Not easy following the Nashville model since they have scouts that pick great D-men. Unless we somehow steal a couple of Nashville scouts so they could help us follow the Nashville model.

Do what it takes to win I suppose.

I mean in a perfect world Teflon Ron is long Gone and we have a scout who can... scout instead. Chibi and Gradin seem to be not so bad at picking guys. Maybe raiding the euro files isn't a bad idea.

1 hour ago, By sea and land said:

We all know Matthews is going #1.  If we were to land the #2 pick, what should Benning do?

A) make a selection - Tkachuk, either Finn winger

B) attempt to trade up for Matthews

C) trade away pick for roster players

D) trade down, accumulate assets and select Dman of your choice

Personslly I'd like to see us trade down so we can select a Dmen that Benning covets and acquire additional assets.  If Jim can't find a suitable trading partner then I hope we select Tkachuk.  I know those two Finn wingers were outstanding at the World Juniors and could very well turn out to be fantastic NHLers.  I'd pick Tkachuk however because I think it's very clear you know what you're going to get.  He's a very safe pick.  A true power forward in the making and a LWer at that which suits the Canucks.  Tkachuk and Virtanen on the same team would be incredible.  But my first choice would be to trade down and accumulate assets if Jim has his eye on a particular DMan.  I totally trust Benning.  I love the job he's doing.  Although it's early, 2nd rounders for Baertschi and Vey look like solid moves again.  Sutter and a 2nd for Bonino, Clendening and a 3rd?  Awesome return.  Bartkowski looks very solid and I hope he resigns.  Etem for a non Canuck hopefull?  Jury still out but low risk deal which looks good so far. No hesitation to get Kesler out of town.  Did an unbelievable job unloading Garrison and that term.  And, and he cuts ties with aging players when that player is deemed not useful enough to help the team any longer ( higgins, prust, weber).  

So what should Benning do should we select #2 overall?

Assuming the Canucks did manage to acquire the 2nd overall (and I'm not sure that they can achieve this) I'd prefer that they took Chychrun. The need for a top-flight d-man is too high for this franchise.

As I do believe that the Canucks will draft around 10th or lower, I'd want them to take Sergachev (assuming he was still available). Following that pick, and depending on who was still available, I'd like the team to see about getting a second 1st (perhaps from Carolina (LA's pick) or Boston (SJ's pick). If he was still available, I'd look at taking another d-man, perhaps Moverare or Mcavoy.

regards,  G.

21 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Assuming the Canucks did manage to acquire the 2nd overall (and I'm not sure that they can achieve this) I'd prefer that they took Chychrun. The need for a top-flight d-man is too high for this franchise.

As I do believe that the Canucks will draft around 10th or lower, I'd want them to take Sergachev (assuming he was still available). Following that pick, and depending on who was still available, I'd like the team to see about getting a second 1st (perhaps from Carolina (LA's pick) or Boston (SJ's pick). If he was still available, I'd look at taking another d-man, perhaps Moverare or Mcavoy.

regards,  G.

That's assuming you think Chychrun is a top flight D man...In my opinion....Top 4? likely.  top end game changer?...i'm not so sure.  

Trade down to 7-8 and take Sergachev would be my answer.  Teams I would be looking to deal with PHX, TO, and CAR as they all have multiple 1st round picks. But would consider a 8+38+prospect for the 2nd overall

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's assuming you think Chychrun is a top flight D man...In my opinion....Top 4? likely.  top end game changer?...i'm not so sure.  

Trade down to 7-8 and take Sergachev would be my answer.  Teams I would be looking to deal with PHX, TO, and CAR as they all have multiple 1st round picks. But would consider a 8+38+prospect for the 2nd overall

There is some merit to your position. Chychrun has lost some ground in the last while, but even so, he's still one of the top d-men available in the draft, and the Canucks do need d-men prospects with upside. I suspect that he will be picked before Sergachev, whether he merits being picked that high or not based on his play of the last while.

From the limited amount of stuff I've seen in the last while, Sergachev is looking pretty good and I'd be very pleased if he was available when the Canucks turn came up to pick. 

regards,   G.

Archived