The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should Nucks do if they get #2 pick in 2016 draft

By sea and land

If in fact the Nucks could trade #2 overall for perhaps picks #8 and more..... Let's say they select Fin Dman Olli Juolevi.  Nice size at 6'2. Maybe they get a late 1st rounder for Verby or Hammer?  Could you not see Benning selecting Kitchener born Logan Stanley with that pick? After watching Chara for those handful of years I'm sure he can see similarities and the benefits of a BIG man.  Stanley stands 6'7 and 220lbs already.  I'm not saying he is or will be a Zdeno Chara but a guy that big and skates as well as he does would be welcome here as a late 1st rounder.  He has edge to his game also.

What else could Benning do with his extra picks from trading down?  This is a big draft year for us.

Juolevi and Stanley in this years 1st round would be great.  Pedan is big too but is probably more suited to be a 5-6 pair dman.  Juolevi and Stanley would be top 4.

2 hours ago, JohnLocke said:

Patrik Laine all the way. 

tkachuck  like the op said is the sake pick., which is fine virt was a safe pick and I think he will be great, just like horvat. Another safe pick. id like us to draft lainedont usually agree with button but that kid just has another gear I think the other finn is gonna be great as well  don't think we should trade down I like our Centre depth as for trading up to get a coveted  d I say after 3 there is a huge drop off in talent even chcrin sorry bad spelling I know has been losing favour besides if we can somehow snag 2 additional 1sts and one can pray bowey  honka or carrick plus sign yandle demers or goligoski in the summer I think were able to build our d that way. a line of 2 swedes and a fin    sounds good to me trust in trader jim      

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Not easy following the Nashville model since they have scouts that pick great D-men. Unless we somehow steal a couple of Nashville scouts so they could help us follow the Nashville model.

yes you need that 1a dman but  you also need elite scoring great goaltending and a few bangers like raffi and lap. Nashville hasn't come close to a cup they are not doing so good and some might say webber is slipping a bit I think Nashville's best chance was last year when forseburg lit up d like jhe was a man possessed.  and renne was vezina good this year there  barely holding onto a wildcard with renne and Philip both having off years. You always here about needing that stud d and people throw out doughty on la keith on Chicago. truth is hawks win cuz of elite scoring and above average goaltending kings because of quick       etc etc look at the habs before price got injured 44 out of 51 points since then 11 point out of 51.the year the canucks made it to game 7 our    best was edler (I happen to like) we scored the most goals and allowed the fewest y did we lose because lou crapped the bed in 3 of        the 4 games and Thomas was glorious there are many ways to  win a cup but the best way imho goaltending now its a little early to tell but we may have gotten the best goalie out of the lou trade and demko looks like he  may be a true future elite goalie will they one day bring it home for us who knows. but just for  fun go back and read the markstrom threads after we traded lack guess benning got that one  right

If you get the 2nd overall, you pick Puljujarvi and pour yourself a nice stiff drink and celebrate.

The effort he puts out is tremendous. Haven't seen that at the NHL level since Forsberg.

He might end up being the best player in the draft 10 years from now. 

these conversations only make me for confident that our future is a bright one .   this is the strength that jim benning brings to the table  .     I truly believe this guy has a great eye for young talent and that he will make the right choice for this this team when he is on the clock .   no matter what number we pick at 

5 minutes ago, mpt said:

Take the best player available, we definitely need a defender, but we also need a top line forward.   Either Finn works for me

Who's the BPA at the 2 spot? 

Some people say Laine, some say Puljujarvi. Either way the top 3 picks are going to be great picks. Mathews and the two Fins will all be great players. 

how much do you guys think expected draft positions will change by the time we get to the draft ?     i mean , there are always players who surprise us by raising their game and proving their worth ..  is there a possibility that a guy ranked outside of the top 5 or 10  could be ranked top 3 the by the scouts when all is said and done ?

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Don't follow jr's closely, with being away, but it seems similar to the 2013 draft-order. Sounds like the top-5 are shifting around a fair bit.

If that's the case 2013 might provide a cautionary tale(Seth Jones, Drouin, etc...). If it were redrafted today, Bo, Risto & Barkov all might be close to top-5? Even MacKinnon seems to have lost some prestige.

Might also be a sign that development(pro & farm situation; vets to insulate, etc...) is becoming increasingly important. This is where we've really improved.

Barkov was top 5 that year.

5 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

how much do you guys think expected draft positions will change by the time we get to the draft ?     i mean , there are always players who surprise us by raising their game and proving their worth ..  is there a possibility that a guy ranked outside of the top 5 or 10  could be ranked top 3 the by the scouts when all is said and done ?

I think memorial cup performance can change draft rankings. Horvat raised his game in the playoffs and that's why canucks went off the board and picked him. He was slated to go a few picks later (despite one scout having him super high on his list as well) 

Archived