The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should Nucks do if they get #2 pick in 2016 draft

By sea and land

6 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

these conversations only make me for confident that our future is a bright one .   this is the strength that jim benning brings to the table  .     I truly believe this guy has a great eye for young talent and that he will make the right choice for this this team when he is on the clock .   no matter what number we pick at 

He's had two drafts in Vancouver, and so far you could make a case that he's missed on all his 1st round picks. He's taken good players, but honestly, it's looking like he's passed on a few better options. 

2015- Boeser over Konecny, Aho or Roslovic...tough to say who the better player will be out of those four. I think most experts would have taken Konecny there...we'll have to see If Benning missed with Boeser

2014- Personally I would have taken Virtanen to, so no issue with the pick, but it will be fun to see how he stacks up against Nylander, Ehlers and Ritchie who were the other top options at No. 6. 

And then McCann at No. 24, while it isn't a bad pick, David Pastrnak, Brendan Lemieux and Ivan Barbashev  were there. I had all three ranked above McCann on my draft board. And Benning likely knew a ton about Pastrnak, having likely given the Bruins insight on him all season long. 

Again, I don't think he's bad at drafting, but he's also not the God a lot of people making him out to be. 

Give anyone on this message board those three picks, I bet most of us make out just as well in the first round. 

6 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

He's had two drafts in Vancouver, and so far you could make a case that he's missed on all his 1st round picks. He's taken good players, but honestly, it's looking like he's passed on a few better options. 

2015- Boeser over Konecny, Aho or Roslovic...tough to say who the better player will be out of those four. I think most experts would have taken Konecny there...we'll have to see If Benning missed with Boeser

2014- Personally I would have taken Virtanen to, so no issue with the pick, but it will be fun to see how he stacks up against Nylander, Ehlers and Ritchie who were the other top options at No. 6. 

And then McCann at No. 24, while it isn't a bad pick, David Pastrnak, Brendan Lemieux and Ivan Barbashev  were there. I had all three ranked above McCann on my draft board. And Benning likely knew a ton about Pastrnak, having likely given the Bruins insight on him all season long. 

Again, I don't think he's bad at drafting, but he's also not the God a lot of people making him out to be. 

Give anyone on this message board those three picks, I bet most of us make out just as well in the first round. 

So far you could make the case that he has nailed all of his first round picks as well. But it's wayyyyyyy too soon to make such assumptions either way.

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

So far you could make the case that he has nailed all of his first round picks as well. But it's wayyyyyyy too soon to make such assumptionshort either way.

I agree, it will take 3-4 years to know what you have - pretty much any scout will tell you that. But really, the only team I would call great at drafting is the Red Wings. And even they miss from time to time. 

9 hours ago, bp79 said:

tkachuck  like the op said is the sake pick., which is fine virt was a safe pick and I think he will be great, just like horvat. Another safe pick. id like us to draft lainedont usually agree with button but that kid just has another gear I think the other finn is gonna be great as well  don't think we should trade down I like our Centre depth as for trading up to get a coveted  d I say after 3 there is a huge drop off in talent even chcrin sorry bad spelling I know has been losing favour besides if we can somehow snag 2 additional 1sts and one can pray bowey  honka or carrick plus sign yandle demers or goligoski in the summer I think were able to build our d that way. a line of 2 swedes and a fin    sounds good to me trust in trader jim      

That's the only bit of grammar you're apologizing for?  Lol

10 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

You draft a number 2 pick and maybe trade for the 3rd overall and have a pair of Finns to replace a pair of swedes

That would be awesome, but Burkie pulled off a miracle that day and I just don't see it ever happening again.

IMO, anyone picking in the top five is going to end up with a terrific player and I would be happy with any of Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk or Chychrun. If we don't get in the top five, then I think it makes sense to draft the best defenseman left in the draft. Sergachev would be my preference, but Juolevi would be good as well.

14 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

Is that the best you can come up with? I didn't realize we were being graded for our work. typical cdc. Instead of giving an opinion on my post, you make a pointless grammar comment. Did my few mistakes that were written while half asleep have any detriment to my overall point. I hate to start back and forth word wars but you are a facetious dick its no wonder everyone hates nucks fans. a select few of you remind me of those guys in high school who couldn't get laid  or got ur ass kicked every day. so no you go around pointing out other peoples mistakes, instead of contributing to an actual dialogue   

30 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

I looked at your recent post. Wow can you write more the 2 consecutive sentences. And whats with the word weird all the time. At least I can write a paragraph with some valid points and insights. you on the other you use about 10 words on average 4 out of the five posts I looked at had weird in them. news flash you are a weird and for 38 you look about 60. weird huh. 

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Who's the BPA at the 2 spot? 

Some people say Laine, some say Puljujarvi. Either way the top 3 picks are going to be great picks. Mathews and the two Fins will all be great players. 

I think Puljujarvi is better than Laine; Laine is a shoot first ask questions later kind of player, I think Puljujarvi is more well rounded and more generous with the puck

I can't say this with certainty because I've only been a member here for a short time, but you all have lost your damn minds! Trading down in a deep draft? Why the hell would you want to do that? Pick high and have the ability to trade the rights to that pick. Besides, its time that the elephant in the room is discussed: Who is going to replace the Sedins on the top line?

When looking at current win/loss point percentages....which I tend to look at when ranking who gets what, in terms of draft positions.

I see it as follow

Picks 1 through 6 seem to be separating themselves form the pack.....CBS/EDM/WINN/BUFF/TOR/CAL.......with Ott and Montreal head full steam towards that group

So as today, I see the second group being 7 through 11, and which is the group we are in.

Followed by the 12 to 16 group, which we have a very outside chance of

I am thinking 9 to 11 is probably where we pick at........

From that view point.........we are looking at picks 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11

If we get a 1, 2, 3............I think we trade down to 5, 6, 7 and get an extra pick, and in the wheel house of Sergachyov/Juolevi, which I think are both gone by #10

Interesting dilemma, of which there are so many variables at this point

So tanking won't get too much higher towards drafting higher really, but would probably stop us from falling closer to a mid-round 1st round pick.

But it is probably too late now to trade with Montreal or Ottawa for their first rounders

So.......we probably pick...................9,10 or 11   

I personally like Segachyov, Juolevi early  and later on Bean

We still need that late 1st round pick.............Hamhuis to one of  Washington, Dallas, Tampa, Florida, or Chicago is my guess

Only 25 more sleeps and we will know for sure!

2 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

LAINE 

Leaning slightly towards Laine. His size and shot have elite NHL goal scorer all over it. I think his IQ is over looked too. He can score but when you watch him with the puck he's great at skating it in to the Ozone and making the best suited play (Snap'n it top cheese).

Obviously anyone in the top 1-5 this draft should be pretty lights out. You always take best player available as much as this team needs a blue chip d-man. Hoping moves at the deadline will solve that issue.

PATRICK LAINE!

Archived