The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie On Team Performance and Virt/Vrby

Boddy604

The interview is on their twitter. Was a post game press meet.

When asked if McCann and Virtanen will be rotating in and out, he said no, Virtanen has been playing well and doesn't need to be off the ice so much. (So I'm not sure what that means for McCann.)

When asked if Vrbata seems engaged, he said when goals scorers aren't scoring, it's hard for them to play excited. (So Willie sees it too)

When asked if he's thought about putting Vrbata with the twins or juggling other lines, he said yes, he almost did in that game in the 3rd period. But feels Hansen has fit well with the twins, the Vey Burrows Etem line has looked good, and the Horvat line is producing so it's hard to split lines when they aren't playing poorly together. But it's something to consider.

Says Nucks need to play less perimeter and more aggressive to draw penalties.

Says they play too soft sometimes and allow themselves to be checked.

Was happy with Hamhuis.

When asked about playoffs being realistic he said it doesn't matter where they are, the team is going to go out and play hard every night.

He was visibly angry though. Good interview though. Gave some insight into things I was wondering about.

"When asked if Vrbata seems engaged, he said when goals scorers aren't scoring, it's hard for them to play excited."

"When asked if he's thought about putting Vrbata with the twins or juggling other lines, he said yes, he almost did in that game in the 3rd period. But feels Hansen has fit well with the twins, the Vey Burrows Etem line has looked good, and the Horvat line is producing so it's hard to split lines when they aren't playing poorly together. But it's something to consider."

Sounds like Willie's given up on Vrbata but keeps playing him because he can still help the Horvat line. Vrbata should probably be gone by the deadline.

39 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

The interview is on their twitter. Was a post game press meet.

When asked if McCann and Virtanen will be rotating in and out, he said no, Virtanen has been playing well and doesn't need to be off the ice so much. (So I'm not sure what that means for McCann.)

When asked if Vrbata seems engaged, he said when goals scorers aren't scoring, it's hard for them to play excited. (So Willie sees it too)

When asked if he's thought about putting Vrbata with the twins or juggling other lines, he said yes, he almost did in that game in the 3rd period. But feels Hansen has fit well with the twins, the Vey Burrows Etem line has looked good, and the Horvat line is producing so it's hard to split lines when they aren't playing poorly together. But it's something to consider.

Says Nucks need to play less perimeter and more aggressive to draw penalties.

Says they play too soft sometimes and allow themselves to be checked.

Was happy with Hamhuis.

When asked about playoffs being realistic he said it doesn't matter where they are, the team is going to go out and play hard every night.

He was visibly angry though. Good interview though. Gave some insight into things I was wondering about.

Good on WD, this is exactly what you want to hear. lots of respect for him saying that

Vrbata is dragging down the Horvat line at this point. He is a non threat and teams barely have to worry about him. Put Virtanen in his spot and rotate Cracknell and Mccann on the fourth line. Trade Vrbata to the Canadians for a pick or prospect. At this point, his value is going down with his terrible play.

31 minutes ago, Lastresort318 said:

Vrbata is dragging down the Horvat line at this point. He is a non threat and teams barely have to worry about him. Put Virtanen in his spot and rotate Cracknell and Mccann on the fourth line. Trade Vrbata to the Canadians for a pick or prospect. At this point, his value is going down with his terrible play.

Yes, I agree. Vrbata doesn't really add anything to that line and he's most likely going to be gone soon. Why not put Virtanen in there for the time being, see how he does. If he doesn't do well, then slot him out for someone else. It's really worth a try and it's not like it would hurt.

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

what is Vrbata worth at this point in time? he hasn't scored in forever. seems disinterested. would be lucky if we could get a second round pick for him. maybe a B level prospect? 

I'd be happy with a 2nd round pick. Would put us at 4 2nd rounders if CBJ gIves their pick to us this year and not later. That's some good ammo to trade up with.

Just now, Boddy604 said:

I'd be happy with a 2nd round pick. Would put us at 4 2nd rounders if CBJ gIves their pick to us this year and not later. That's some good ammo to trade up with.

would love for Columbus to give us their second round pick this year. but I doubt they do. most likely they keep it. and give us their second rounder next year. a less deeper draft than this year. if we have four second round picks. that would be quite the ammo in rebuilding and restocking our shallow prospect pool. would give this fan base a sense of greater hope for the future. maybe we can use those picks and move up on the draft? 

still dreaming of getting Laine or Puljujarvi. oh how I wish...

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

would love for Columbus to give us their second round pick this year. but I doubt they do. most likely they keep it. and give us their second rounder next year. a less deeper draft than this year. if we have four second round picks. that would be quite the ammo in rebuilding and restocking our shallow prospect pool. would give this fan base a sense of greater hope for the future. maybe we can use those picks and move up on the draft? 

Im the most interested in Tkachuk personally. But there's a few guys that look really good in the top 6 or 7. Hopefully we can snag one.

8 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Im the most interested in Tkachuk personally. But there's a few guys that look really good in the top 6 or 7. Hopefully we can snag one.

if we keep on losing. we may get a top ten pick. 

Why can't we have both? Hansen and Vrbata both split the ice-time with the Sedins in one game. Is it really that complicated to divide the ice time between our top 2 Right-wingers?

Vrbata has only proven to be a pure sniper on a consistent basis when playing with the Twins. But Hansen has the ability to play any role in the lineup.

The only logical explanation from an asset management standpoint is that we are trading Hansen for a nice package. But we should be inflating Vrbata's stats instead in order to maximize the return come trade-deadline.

No chance we get a second for Vrbata. If Benning can get a low or conditional 3rd for him, I'll erect a gold statue in his honour. People who think they can get a 5th for Prust, anything for Higgins, or a 2nd for Vrbata are probably setting themselves up for disappointment. No one wants our AHL caliber trash. 

4 hours ago, Lastresort318 said:

You miss the point. Vibrate even when he is not scoring, is smart and hard working. He is an intelligent player and he compliments that line. Jake doesn't have the experience to compliment it at present. Maybe you missed that part of the interview?

I bet you were not saying this on the recent road schedule where most night the Horvat line was our best line. 

Now when it has dried up it's all Vbratas fault. It can't be Bo's or Svens fault? No because they are considered the golden boys. 

I'd be putting Vrbata alongside the Twins hoping he'd score a few goals so we can get more in return at the Trade Deadline.

Hamhuis did his part.  I think he played the best game he's played all year.  Hoping Hamhuis agreed to a Deadline deal to get us a 1st rounder and agrees to come back for a hometown discount next season.  Hamhuis would make a great coach down the line.

2 hours ago, GiveEmTheCan said:

No chance we get a second for Vrbata. If Benning can get a low or conditional 3rd for him, I'll erect a gold statue in his honour. People who think they can get a 5th for Prust, anything for Higgins, or a 2nd for Vrbata are probably setting themselves up for disappointment. No one wants our AHL caliber trash. 

Of course they are but have you not noticed? That's how it works on here. Unrealistic values just allows them to ridicule JB when these people are shipped back down to the reality of planet earth.

Our players are all old, has beens who don't fit, don't try, in short not worth a bag of pucks, until JB gets shot of them and then suddenly they are all worth 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

5 hours ago, Lastresort318 said:

Vrbata is dragging down the Horvat line at this point. He is a non threat and teams barely have to worry about him. Put Virtanen in his spot and rotate Cracknell and Mccann on the fourth line. Trade Vrbata to the Canadians  anywhere for a pick or prospect. At this point, his value is going down with his terrible play.

fixed it..... need lots of options and the Habs will be tanking soon anyway.

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

it could happen with the lottery pick, but i'ld  be happy with juolevi, dubois, mcleod or sergachov

Archived