The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie On Team Performance and Virt/Vrby

Boddy604

as i see it, hansen and burrows can play like the third sedin....they can complete the cycle game and get in front of the net to screen the goalie.....vrbata needs to get the puck in scoring positions to be effective...so if he is with the sedins, one of them have to get in front of the net and they spend their shift trying to find vrbata...i'ld rather have them play their game, with vrbata with them on the power plays...plus, both hansen and burrows are better defensively than vrbata...hansen has the speed to get back if the puck is turned over...

it would be great if benning could entice columbus to send that second round pick to us this year...i don't know what it would take.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You miss the point. Vibrate even when he is not scoring, is smart and hard working. He is an intelligent player and he compliments that line. Jake doesn't have the experience to compliment it at present. Maybe you missed that part of the interview?

I bet you were not saying this on the recent road schedule where most night the Horvat line was our best line. 

Now when it has dried up it's all Vbratas fault. It can't be Bo's or Svens fault? No because they are considered the golden boys. 

One question, have you been watching the games? Vrbata has done jack sh!t this year. Vrbata has been held up by Bo and Bart, he rarely contributes anything anymore 

Is he not the coach. He's says they need to play less on the perimeter yet night in night out that's where they play so he's saying there not playing his system or buying. 

This club is a mess right from medaling ownership to chl coaching And everyone in between. 

A gm that's believes this is a playoff team and is "retooling"  9 home wins this season says otherwise. 

this club is exactly where most ( realistic fans) predicted at or near the bottom  and looking at a good draft pick. 

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You miss the point. Vibrate even when he is not scoring, is smart and hard working. He is an intelligent player and he compliments that line. Jake doesn't have the experience to compliment it at present. Maybe you missed that part of the interview?

I bet you were not saying this on the recent road schedule where most night the Horvat line was our best line. 

Now when it has dried up it's all Vbratas fault. It can't be Bo's or Svens fault? No because they are considered the golden boys. 

Hardworking right now?

please.

30 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

One question, have you been watching the games? Vrbata has done jack sh!t this year. Vrbata has been held up by Bo and Bart, he rarely contributes anything anymore 

His confidence is at an all time low and maybe it's something only a change of scenery could fix. But to say he hasn't done anything is a bit silly. He's top 15 in the league in shots on net and his shooting% is an unsustainably low 6.5%. That doesn't even account for all the times he rang the puck off the post or some of the wide open nets that he's missed. 

I fully believe that he will be traded and I still think his value is quite high for a team looking for secondary scoring. A late 1st to a contender or a bubble playoff team isn't out of the question IMO.

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

would love for Columbus to give us their second round pick this year. but I doubt they do. most likely they keep it. and give us their second rounder next year. a less deeper draft than this year. if we have four second round picks. that would be quite the ammo in rebuilding and restocking our shallow prospect pool. would give this fan base a sense of greater hope for the future. maybe we can use those picks and move up on the draft? 

still dreaming of getting Laine or Puljujarvi. oh how I wish...

Puljujarvi is one the the difference maker players most nhl ready he is one of the unspoken Crown Jewels of this draft relative to other top 5 picks after Mathews.

14 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

His confidence is at an all time low and maybe it's something only a change of scenery could fix. But to say he hasn't done anything is a bit silly. He's top 15 in the league in shots on net and his shooting% is an unsustainably low 6.5%. That doesn't even account for all the times he rang the puck off the post or some of the wide open nets that he's missed. 

I fully believe that he will be traded and I still think his value is quite high for a team looking for secondary scoring. A late 1st to a contender or a bubble playoff team isn't out of the question IMO.

His shooting percentage is low because he doesn't go where he needs to go to have a higher percentage.....

11 minutes ago, riffraff said:

His shooting percentage is low because he doesn't go where he needs to go to have a higher percentage.....

That would change in Washington or Pittsburgh as well as Florida an NY.His numbers would bounce back up with change of team

8 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

That would change in Washington or Pittsburgh as well as Florida an NY.His numbers would bounce back up with change of team

your probably right...he is a pure goal scorer...he needs someone to get him the puck in prime scoring positions...guys like ov and crosby have spots on the ice where they are most dangerous.....for vrbata, it's on the left side around the hash mark...i hope he can find the right combinations, he needs...i don't think it will be here..

The thing about trading Vrbata, is that If I were scouting him for any period over the last month, why would I go and tell my GM to trade for him?

Vrbata has been ghost like.  hes still been decent at positional defence, and doesnt really cost the team, but his job is to create scoring chances and bury the good ones, neither of which he's doing at all....  which is also strange considering that his linemates ARE creating scoring chances, AND getting on the score sheet.  I agree with above comments that he is actually dragging that line down, and any pro scout should be able to identify that.

At this point, someone is going to really believe he needs a fresh start, but I seriously doubt many will part with much in the way of assets for him.  If I were desperate for a top 6 shooting RW, I'd offer a 3rd round pick and a B prospect at MOST.  Likely start with a B prospect thats playing in the A.

ZERO reason for MTL to part with any future assets for a rental.  They are a sinking ship.

Florida is possible, but there are better options.  

Washington is set, they dont need Vrby.

Pitts...  I guess its possible, but they cant really afford to give up much in the way of future potential.  Wed have to take back a project.  I dont want more projects.  We have enough of them.

3 hours ago, ice orca said:

Disturbing to see this about McCann, he took a penalty last game and never saw the ice after that. I guess Willie has his center's picked out now so i guess McCann will slide in as a winger when needed and get a big dose of pine.

so we have 2 centres in the press box..McCann and Cracknell...why dont they send Crack down and bring up a winger?

We are getting center overload...Zewlewski and Gaunce on the farm as well..someone isnt making the team next year at that position.

20 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

so we have 2 centres in the press box..McCann and Cracknell...why dont they send Crack down and bring up a winger?

We are getting center overload...Zalewski and Gaunce on the farm as well..someone isnt making the team next year at that position.

Both of those guys can also play on the wing as well. Gaunce on the left and Zalewski on the right, so they can step in and take draws with some efficiency. Players with that kind of versatility are valuable pieces when your putting a roster together. A team full of winger/centermen gives a lot more options. 

To see Vrbata play live, he is clearly one of the better forwards on the team.  Having said that, his lack of production on the Horvat line is worrying.  Does he feel that he has to play the clean up man on a very young line?  Does he have trouble reading off 2 young players who are still discovering what works and what doesn't at the NHL level?

He hasn't lost a step.  There's just no chemistry.

Hansen was looking like he was a step behind the Sedins mentally last night.  Has the magic cooled?  Why not switch up Vrbata and Hansen.  Really, Hansen is a 3rd line player who can play up for a while.  Has he hit the wall?

Vrbata's shooting % has gone from 11.6 last year to 6.5 this year.  He's taking a lot of perimeter shots.  I'm not saying that he shouldn't take them but he doesn't seem to get as many grade A chances.

I think Vrbata moves at the TDL.  He's still good, just not producing because he doesn't fit very well any more.

Archived