The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canadiens listening to offers on Fleischmann, Weise, Gilbert

Nd1989

The Montreal Canadiens aren't in fire-sale mode yet, but they're keeping an ear to the ground.

The club is currently listening to offers on forwards Tomas Fleischmann and Dale Weise, as well as defenseman Tom Gilbert, according to the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch.

Fleischmann, Weise, and Gilbert are all set to become unrestricted free agents at season's end and could fetch a decent return in a package deal.

Garrioch reports that if franchise netminder Carey Price can't return to the net soon, talks to move the trio could intensify as the trade deadline draws nearer.

Fleischmann and Weise have combined for 21 goals this season, while Gilbert has been steady on the back end sitting tied for second on the team with a plus-5 rating.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/946871

Not really much of a surprise, would love to see weise back here but obviously we aren't buyers.

The bizarre thing is, I wanted Fleischmann last summer to play WITH Vrbata (instant chemistry)...now we would have to give up Vrbata to get Fleischmann (and a 2nd?). Both players have been stupidly inconsistent. If JB decides we're going for it I wonder if we just gave them a 3rd and got Fleischmann, put him with Vrby, and see if they can find that ol' Czech magic again? Alf would appreciate this: call them...Czech mates? Ha! Sometimes I kill me!

24 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Needless to say, but these guys aren't cornerstone pieces. 

Sounds like Bergevin is in denial, they need to make moves with more than just fringe pieces. 

I wouldn't call that denial at all he is selling off pieces for some picks. Montreal is all but out of it. Absolute collapse by the habs.

if the canadians have embraced the tank then they are smarter then the canucks. when i watched them last night calgary just out worked us... same as columbus. we need our existing vets out ! except the twins. but it won't happen as its obvious that hope has to be sold to the paying customer..perhaps no one will take our players and we have no choice but to ride the contracts out...I can't take any positives out of last nights game as we where badly out worked.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Needless to say, but these guys aren't cornerstone pieces. 

Sounds like Bergevin is in denial, they need to make moves with more than just fringe pieces. 

How is that denial? Those three players (along with Scrivens) are Montreal's upcoming UFA's. I would say it indicates he's very aware that making the playoffs likely isn't going to happen and he may as well get something for those assets

They shld resign Weise gritty engine type of player that showed off sniper like qualities this season. Not going to cost a lot so should fit well as a 3rd // 4th liner in a cap system

20 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

if the canadians have embraced the tank then they are smarter then the canucks. when i watched them last night calgary just out worked us... same as columbus. we need our existing vets out ! except the twins. but it won't happen as its obvious that hope has to be sold to the paying customer..perhaps no one will take our players and we have no choice but to ride the contracts out...I can't take any positives out of last nights game as we where badly out worked.

I agree with hammer, Vrbata because their ufa. 

i like our vets: Hamhuis, Tanev, sedins, Hansen, Dorsett, sutter, and sbisa. im fine with trading Edler but that would depend on finding a replacement #1 minute guy so pretty hard to do so this or next season.

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

How is that denial? Those three players (along with Scrivens) are Montreal's upcoming UFA's. I would say it indicates he's very aware that making the playoffs likely isn't going to happen and he may as well get something for those assets

Gilbert and Fleischmann are waiver wire junk.

Fleischmann's 4 pts in his last 29 games is anaemic production.  Lucky if anyone claimed him off waivers.

Same for Gilbert.  2.8 million for third pairing junk facing weak competition, getting high ozone starts, bad underlying numbers and 2 points in 39 games.

I'm sure GMs will be lining up to give up assets for them.

Dutch Gretzky might land you a late pick.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gilbert and Fleischmann are waiver wire junk.

Fleischmann's 4 pts in his last 29 games is anaemic production.  Lucky if anyone claimed him off waivers.

Same for Gilbert.  2.8 million for third pairing junk facing weak competition, getting high ozone starts, bad underlying numbers and 2 points in 39 games.

I'm sure GMs will be lining up to give up assets for them.

Dutch Gretzky might land you a late pick.

Guys like Gilbert always get taken by someone. I can see someone trading a 5th for him.

Just now, BanTSN said:

I wonder what Weise will be granted for a contract now after awhile of being a product of Montreal's offensive linemates.

I am curious about this as well. He could use a trade and some exposure with a playoff team in order to get a decent contract in free agency.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Guys like Gilbert always get taken by someone. I can see someone trading a 5th for him.

I am curious about this as well. He could use a trade and some exposure with a playoff team in order to get a decent contract in free agency.

My guess is 12 million total, over 3 or 4 years.  The Weise household will be ecstatic.

Archived