The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Decision Time Is Now or Is It Already Made? Ramblings.

TheGuardian_

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Anyone can come out and say that now in hindsight of what has happened.

If that's not the case then good for you, at the time it wasn't a good prediction hence why we never we went that direction.

Not really sure what you mean there. Benning did go out and sign several older players than those he moved out.

What hindsight, I am sure you could figure that Daytsuk will get fewer points than his best year, even in "the league is much easier now" (Jagr) times.

The Sedins point totals have been declining each year since their 100 pt season's, be it injury or age, last season could be looked at as an anomaly, but they are definitely special players.

I want us to sell.

I don't think this season is Benning's fault. He built a fringe playoff team. We added a lot of inexperience to accelerate the youth movement so we needed our veterans to perform the way they had last season in order to win games. That never happened due to injuries and disappointing performances.

If you want to blame Benning for not making the playoffs the only reason that makes sense is the fact that he brought so much inexperienced youth or that he couldn't read the future. I don't know why anyone would want to bash him for bringing us youth.

Chalk this season u to a development year and reshape the team next year since we will have enough cap to do so.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

Not really sure what you mean there. Benning did go out and sign several older players than those he moved out.

What hindsight, I am sure you could figure that Daytsuk will get fewer points than his best year, even in "the league is much easier now" (Jagr) times.

The Sedins point totals have been declining each year since their 100 pt season's, be it injury or age, last season could be looked at as an anomaly, but they are definitely special players.

He signed transitional players to help keep us competitive. Those players at first did but now have disappointed.

Hindsight in the fact that the team and the veterans would have a huge drop off from last year. Not best years to worse, last season to this season.

Anyone can say now. I knew we'd be in the position we are in now from the off-season. I knew Vrbata would go from scoring machine to a fringe scorer. <-- etc.

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He signed transitional players to help keep us competitive. Those players at first did but now have disappointed.

Hindsight in the fact that the team and the veterans would have a huge drop off from last year. Not best years to worse, last season to this season.

Anyone can say now. I knew we'd be in the position we are in now from the off-season. I knew Vrbata would go from scoring machine to a fringe scorer. <-- etc.

This.

There was no way to anticipate Vrbata would disappear. Higgins would fall off a cliff. Prust would get injured then come back wayyyy less effective. Sutter would have a huge injury. Same with Hamhuis. Henrik would miss time.

But through it all, Benning has pulled the trigger to try and recoup the team and the season. Maybe it hasn't entirely worked but it had amounted to us looking like we'll be a better team next year than we would've been otherwise.

Everyone figured the Canucks would be a fringe playoff team this season and that's exactly what has happened. And that happened with a boatload of injuries and drastic fall offs from key players. If we were healthy and people performed like they were expected to, we probably would be competing for a spot vs Anaheim instead of the Coyotes. But we'd still be a team only in the race by a couple points regardless.

When you consider everything the team has adapted to this season, it's really no surprise that they are where they are.

The lack of scoring is mind boggling though. There's more than enough talent for the Canucks to only be netting one or two a game. Certain guys really need to park the net and screen.

17 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You're right about bad luck re the fall off in play of Burrows, Higgins, and Prust.  Who would have thought that all of them would drop off in the same season.  Not to mention Vrbata (although his drop off doesn't look age related to me).  And Weber, lets call that a regression to the mean (his career year was last year).

Factor this with some brutal injuries to key people (Sutter, Hamhuis) and you have the season we have had.

There are plenty of rookies and young players as part of the transition on board and in the main, I think they have done alright.  Next year there will be 2 or 3 more so I see a similar 80-something point performance coming. 

It's a rebuild / transition period.  Nobody should be surprised at middling or inconsistent play.

On February 7, 2016 at 0:54 PM, Crabcakes said:

Columbus has the choice of whether to give the Canucks their 2nd pick this year or next.  Since they are dead last in a strong draft year, I can guess that they'll get it next year.

You say a lot and I'm not going to address everything. 

I don't expect them to make the playoffs.  The comments from management about making them were from before the Columbus game.  2 losses later and 2 more nails in the coffin.  They are still going to play hard every night.  There are roster spots to be won or held on to.  No tank.  Sorry tankists.

Trading for Etem was pure opportunity.  It is the sort of trade that Benning has been looking for with this team (Vey, Baertschi, Bartkowski, Pedan etc).  It wasn't planned for but in the mean time, Etem looks good with Vey and we'll see where it takes them.  Jensen was a virtual bust.  I can't understand why the Rangers made the deal.

Etem was a massive disappointment in New York, much like Jensen here. He didn't really contribute anything to the Rangers at all. It was a failing player for failing player deal. Both former first round picks with some potential still there. I think Etem has realized that this is likely his last shot in the NHL, and it's noticeable in his game. He's putting a lot of effort in out there. Jensen, I highly doubt makes the NHL, but is already doing more for Hartford then  he did in 2 1/2 years with Utica. He too is realizing that this is his last shot. Could work out great for both teams, but it looks like we've got the better end of the trade so far. 

The only real things that I "blame" Benning for are saying one thing and doing the other, signing vets and moving younger players, saying how valuable draft picks are and then dealing 2 nd rounders' on players that haven't made the NHL after a couple of pro years and most of all, trying to do half a job.

I surely didn't think this would be a playoff team, indeed I believed that the team needs to get players to replace our only two aging stars. While out on the wrong coast many fans seem to..at least say no way to a "tank", finishing near the very bottom of the standings is close the only way to get "franchise" type players. Especially when a players like Sequin and Johansen get moved and there was apparently no serious interest or effort from the Canucks.

It is odd, now, in Toronto and Montreal the media is openly talking about and encouraging, those teams to tank. Suddenly what Buffalo did is okay. Curious.

Tanking now isn't the sure thing it was last year, last year the worst team was guaranteed 2nd overall, this year it could be #5. That said it was my thought that if the Nucks did intentionally play a bunch of AHL players, just to see what they had in the system, and ended up very near the bottom, those draft picks they got would have had the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Hamhuis, you get the idea, as mentors WHILE they were still effective NHers.

Last season I was surprised, I actually guessed they would be picking 8th, I usually guess right around. This year it will be harder because it appears that there will be more teams "trying out the AHL guys", or competition for picks, you know, for the good of the franchise.

I wonder what it would take to somehow get a repeat of "no one is leaving here with the Sedins but us", "no one is leaving here with the Finnish wingers except us"?

IMHO, the Nucks finish bottom 4.

9 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

As much as I liked Dale Tallon( at least a little bit)  that wheel set our destiny in motion.  I'll never forget watching the French connection line and wishing that wheel spin had turned out differently.  

Not sure I believe in that wheel of doom. Yes, Buffalo won the spin but even so, we have 3 cup finals to their 2, 6 finals game victories to their 4, and 2 Presidents Trophies to their 1. Regardless of where the wheel ended up, it seems obvious that it was the destiny of both franchises to be mediocre for a very long time.

Archived