The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

Remember when the Trump apologists were making the case that Trump's insistence in calling COVID-19 the "Chinese Virus" was "careless" and/or "off the cuff"?

That turns out not to be the case:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/pompeo-pressed-g-7-leaders-to-refer-to-wuhan-virus-in-statement-report/ar-BB11HsGt?li=AAggFp4

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo pressed Group of Seven (G-7) leaders to refer to the novel coronavirus as the "Wuhan virus," according to a report by the German magazine Der Spiegel.

The G-7 leaders have thus far not been able to agree on a joint statement because of Pompeo's insistence that the group should refer to the disease as the "Wuhan virus," which other member states have rejected.

When asked about the report at a media availability teleconference, Pompeo, who repeatedly referred to the coronavirus as the "Wuhan virus," did not deny the reports. Pompeo appeared to double-down on his rhetoric in an attempt to hold the Chinese Communist Party accountable for its handling of the virus.

"We've wanted to work with the Chinese Communist Party throughout this crisis - this crisis that began in Wuhan, China," Pompeo said. "We tried, you'll remember, from the opening days to get our scientists, our experts on the ground there so that we could begin to assist in the global response to what began there in China, but we weren't able to do that. The Chinese Communist Party wouldn't permit that to happen."

"The Chinese Communist Party poses a substantial threat to our health and way of life, as the Wuhan virus outbreak clearly has demonstrated," Pompeo added.

President Trump and other GOP lawmakers referred to the novel coronavirus as the "Chinese virus," despite critics noting that such rhetoric could be correlated with a rise in targeted violence against Asian Americans.

Public health officials, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization have advised against referring to the coronavirus by its city or country of origin.

<_<

42 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Remember when the Trump apologists were making the case that Trump's insistence in calling COVID-19 the "Chinese Virus" was "careless" and/or "off the cuff"?

That turns out not to be the case:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/pompeo-pressed-g-7-leaders-to-refer-to-wuhan-virus-in-statement-report/ar-BB11HsGt?li=AAggFp4

<_<

man this president's need to deflect

and blame others is astounding

you know who got on the ground in china fairly early on ?

canada

i think the usa was given equal opportunity at that time

clearly this was not the earliest possible date .... china did put up some resistance

but there was plenty of time once other countries were let in

to do effective planning and take appropriate steps

it was a little later then it could have been

but seems trump wants to blame the current situation in the usa

on china's brief initial delay

because

he takes no responsibility for this crisis

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

man this president's need to deflect

and blame others is astounding

you know who got on the ground in china fairly early on ?

canada

i think the usa was given equal opportunity at that time

it clearly this was not the earliest possible date .... china did put up some resistance

but there was plenty of time once other countries were let in

to do effective planning and take appropriate steps

it was a little later then it could have been

but seems trump wants to blame the current situation in the usa

on china's brief initial delay

because

he takes no responsibility for this crisis

He never does. For anything.

It's funny that Trump started that whole 'fake news' quote and liberals take it run with it. :lol:

OK Let's put this idiot Biden in charge..one can wish but get use to Trump for 4 more years.

Edited by nux4lyfe
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I never watch these videos, but I'm curious: at any point, does Joe talk about the oranges of the coronavirus?

Don't think anybody watches those videos, who uses youtube bloggers for political information lol. 

Just now, Canorth said:

And I’m pretty sure Hillary’s camp used it before Trump. He just hijacked it and branded it

I believe it was the media in general who were using the term to describe the fake stories etc. that were being spread on social media. Then, in predictable fashion, Trump accuses the opposition, of any kind, of doing the same thing and the simpletons lap it up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canorth said:

And I’m pretty sure Hillary’s camp used it before Trump. He just hijacked it and branded it

I believe that.

DT just made it very popular for this era. I think even he thinks he came up with it. But then again, he's a moron. 

I still remember Norm on SNL in the early 90's "I'm Norm Macdonald and this is the fake news.". It was his lead in for when he was doing Weekend Update. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Ack.... I came in here and wrote a lovely treatise on my feelings about today's presser only to have it eaten by the hanta-virus infected mouse I use.

So, I thought I'd step back and take a breath...read the new posts and bedamned if my blood pressure didn't roof with the sharing of the crap coming out of the WH today. How can ANYONE listen to this crap and still think these folks have YOUR best interests at heart.

Seriously, Pompeo insisting that the G7 members call COVID-19 the "Wuhan Flu"?? WTeverlovingF is THAT about? The US is ONE member of the G7...the other 6 members should tell Pompeo, Trump and the US officials as a whole to &^@# OFF. I am so sick of the US thinking they are the be all and end all of EVERYTHING on the planet. :mad::mad:

A HUGE dose of humble pie and crow (Not to mention Karma) is in order for Republicans with the two biggest pieces going to HisWankmaggotness and Pompous Pompeo.

Edited by Cerridwen
Added omitted word
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I know.  That's why I put the first bit of the article in my post.   I was responding to a post hoping this crisis bankrupts TRUMP.   The bill bars him and his family.   

Lol.  

Never stopped him before. 

He was supposed to turn in his taxes.  Nope.   Not hire family and friends for prominent White House positions.   Nope.  Divest from his business.   Nope.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Lol.  

Never stopped him before. 

He was supposed to turn in his taxes.  Nope.   Not hire family and friends for prominent White House positions.   Nope.  Divest from his business.   Nope.

The was no legal requirement.  Sadly for any of it.  Taxes, divestment, or from hiring his kids into White House positions.  

It is in the bill that he or his kids can't.  Finally figured out that if it isn't bolted down, TRUMP and co will take advantage. 

3 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The was no legal requirement.  Sadly for any of it.  Taxes, divestment, or from hiring his kids into White House positions.  

It is in the bill that he or his kids can't.  Finally figured out that if it isn't bolted down, TRUMP and co will take advantage. 

He will just use "Executive Privilege" to get his way.

• -SN- changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al