The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

aren't you supposed to be accusing Bernie of communism? We were talking about Bill Gates. 

Gates is not running and it’s little too late to enter the primaries.

Aren't you supposed to tell us about that coalition that BS was going to build to beat Trump?

34 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Gates is not running and it’s little too late to enter the primaries.

Aren't you supposed to tell us about that coalition that BS was going to build to beat Trump?

its a shame it didn't go that way. Enjoy Trump for 4 more. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its a shame it didn't go that way. Enjoy Trump for 4 more. 

Thanks for the warm wishes, but i feel like we should share the enjoyment.

Irreversible climate damage, economic collapse, spread of the virus, unemployment etc.

Longest undefended border, history of being a lapdog and strong economic ties.

Trump might as well be your president.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Irreversible climate damage, economic collapse, spread of the virus, unemployment etc.

It's funny, because at times in the past when I've criticized Trump, some of the resident antagonists would respond with "Why do you care? You're Canadian"

I've always found it a bit stunning that people can't understand the effect that a guy like Trump has on Canadian life. Another four years of DJT would be a disaster for Americans. but it would also be very damaging to Canadians and the world for that matter.

Ditto Bolsonaro, although not to such an extent.

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's funny, because at times in the past when I've criticized Trump, some of the resident antagonists would respond with "Why do you care? You're Canadian"

I've always found it a bit stunning that people can't understand the effect that a guy like Trump has on Canadian life. Another four years of DJT would be a disaster for Americans. but it would also be very damaging to Canadians and the world for that matter.

Ditto Bolsonaro, although not to such an extent.

I find that view to be extremely myopic especially when majority of Canada lives within 100 miles from the U.S border.

In a way it reminds me when I lived in Europe in early 1990s and Soviet Union disintegrated.

I was concerned about chaos, corruption, military decay etc.

People would ask me “why do you care” my answer was “do you know how many nuclear warheads are in Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan”?

Just like in 1929, soup kitchen lines were just as long in Toronto as they were in New York.

Trump winning would be bad for the entire planet in so many ways.

People that don’t see that are either Trumpers or just oblivious and ignorant.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

you remind me of an old country uncle of mine who liked to call Canada "America" just to piss off my grandfather. 

US Administration back tracks on its plans to send troops to the Canadian border

Fri 27 Mar 2020 00:12:03 GMT

The Trump administration has dropped its idea of sending U.S. military forces to the Canadian border

ICYMI, here is news of the the hare-brained scheme from earlier:
Canadian Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Canada was told of the U.S. proposal a few days ago, said:
  • "We are very directly and very forcefully expressing the view that this is an entirely unnecessary step which we would view as damaging to our relationship"
  • "We do not believe at all there would be a public-health justification to take this action. We don't think this is the right way to treat a trusted friend and military ally."
A US official now:
  • "This was under consideration, but it is no longer going to take place"

Perhaps we'll never know what the hell they were thinking on this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

US Administration back tracks on its plans to send troops to the Canadian border

The Trump administration has dropped its idea of sending U.S. military forces to the Canadian border

Canadian Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Canada was told of the U.S. proposal a few days ago, said:
  • "We are very directly and very forcefully expressing the view that this is an entirely unnecessary step which we would view as damaging to our relationship"
  • "We do not believe at all there would be a public-health justification to take this action. We don't think this is the right way to treat a trusted friend and military ally."
A US official now:

Obviously cuz Canada represents a National Security threat.  Isn't that the reason they imposed that steel tax??

:picard:

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

A US official now:

Good.  Covid or not, I'd have been going down there to defend our country.

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Trump expected to send US troops to border with Canada to support operations

Thu 26 Mar 2020 16:19:57 GMT

Reuters sources

This was circulating as a rumour earlier. The vast majority the Canadians who were spending the winter in the US are home or on the way home so this is a bit bizarre. I understand the border is also very quiet for those crossing.

I can't imagine too many Canadians are planning on rushing the border into the US, where cases are spiking.

It's quite a bizarre headline. Not many seem to know what for.

Your problem is you read it in the first place. I came back to Canada today at 3 pm. I was met on the American side by a police car with the deputy ensuring I wasn't American and then saying the Canadian side would fill me in. Well that was very true. The Canadian agent gave me an extensive and well thought out summary of where, why and how the 14 day isolation will be carried out. As a capper she told me they would be checking to see that we were home and if we were caught violating there was a $1 million fine or 3 years in the slammer. We came straight home!

The anti-Trump hysteria on here is over the top. I think some of the posters on here would run over their dog if it meant scoring a anti Trump point. Many of the Americans I talked to in Hawaii thought he was doing a decent job. Hawaii is as blue as it gets. Maybe I talk to the wrong people? Polls as suggesting that the majority of Americans think he is doing OK. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The anti-Trump hysteria on here is over the top

To be fair.

The Trump thread was starting to slow down as I think people were getting tired of his malarkey.

Then covid hit and he acted similar to when the eclipse happened. He didn't listen to experts and acted with negligence. 

Do you think his return to work by Easter is smart? do your American friends support that idea?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Your problem is you read it in the first place. I came back to Canada today at 3 pm. I was met on the American side by a police car with the deputy ensuring I wasn't American and then saying the Canadian side would fill me in. Well that was very true. The Canadian agent gave me an extensive and well thought out summary of where, why and how the 14 day isolation will be carried out. As a capper she told me they would be checking to see that we were home and if we were caught violating there was a $1 million fine or 3 years in the slammer. We came straight home!

The anti-Trump hysteria on here is over the top. I think some of the posters on here would run over their dog if it meant scoring a anti Trump point. Many of the Americans I talked to in Hawaii thought he was doing a decent job. Hawaii is as blue as it gets. Maybe I talk to the wrong people? Polls as suggesting that the majority of Americans think he is doing OK. 

I don't know how a person can think of themselves as a patriotic Canadian while at the same time supporting Trump. I guess you can bridge that divide? 

This isn't a TRUMP hysteria thing.   This just shows how moronic his party, the GOP are.  Its looking very likely that their members will force the House into an in person vote on the aid bill.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-members-race-back-washington-amid-fears-2-trillion-bill-n1170051

House members race back to Washington amid fears the $2 trillion coronavirus bill could be delayed

Democratic and Republican leaders suddenly believe the $2 trillion economic relief package might not pass by the long-distance voice vote scheduled for Friday.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

A US official now:

This is one of the dumbest ideas this administration ever had, and that’s saying something.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

There have been several "discussions" over the span of the current administration about "Fake News!" Many would have us believe that CNN, MSNBC, etc., are "just as bad", or "worse" than Fox.....

....and then you have a Fox anchor saying things like this:

“The president was right, and frankly Fauci was wrong,” Lou Dobbs said Monday on his show on the Fox Business Network, referring to the use of experimental medicine.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/as-trump-signals-readiness-to-break-with-experts-his-online-base-assails-fauci/ar-BB11Lvpx?li=AAggFp5

• Vintage 2

• -SN- changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread
  • DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al