The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

4 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I am surprised that they still use term scalping tickets on TV as well as paddy wagon.
Same goes with getting gyped.

For a long time I thought it was pronounced getting chipped, once I learned that it has to do with Gypsies I stopped using it.
It’s when people say trying to Jew me down and act shocked that it’s offensive.

huh, how about that... I thought it was getting 'jipped' and never thought anything of it. Had no idea it was based on gypsy origins. How is scalping tickets offensive?

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

huh, how about that... I thought it was getting 'jipped' and never thought anything of it. Had no idea it was based on gypsy origins. How is scalping tickets offensive?

More coffee. 

On 3/2/2021 at 10:53 PM, 4petesake said:

This has been a really bad week for the right. First Mr. Potatohead loses his Mr, his moustache and his penis and now Dr. Suess. It was funny at first to watch them lose their sh#& but after hearing Don Jr lamenting that he knew Cat in the Hat by heart I’m starting to feel really bad about it. :(

I can handle it. As long as Dick and Jane aren’t on the chopping block. Run Spot run. Hide Puff hide. Ah the memories.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Scalping comes from the Native Indian act of removing a scalp as a war trophy. Nowadays it has come to mean being a middle man or taking a little off the top as in ticket scalping or stock trading.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Term scalping is connected to Native tribes that used to scalp their enemies.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I can handle it. As long as Dick and Jane aren’t on the chopping block. Run Spot run. Hide Puff hide. Ah the memories.

We joke about it, but I clearly remember watching Disney films when my kids were small and there were a couple that really opened my eyes....

Peter Pan was the worst. He we are sitting as a family watching the movie and the word "Squaw" starts being thrown around....I had completely forgotten about that, as had my wife, who just happens to be from the Wet'suwet'en First Nation...

Another was Dumbo.....the crows singing "When I saw an Elephant fly" are clearly caricatures of "Uncle Remus" black men. (don't get me started on "Song of the South") Since Dumbo was my youngest daughter's favorite, (she loves elephants to this day, 20 years later) we got to watch that bit of racial insensitivity a lot....

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Breaking news folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is March 4th and...............

Joe Biden is still your president you filthy goobers!!!!

There's still time.....:unsure:

"Q" is wayyyyyy down the alphabet....:frantic:

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Term scalping is connected to Native tribes that used to scalp their enemies.

....Cowboy walks into a Barber Shop on the reservation.....

"Yeah, just take a little off the top"....B)

• Haha 1

https://www.wtrf.com/news/national-news/grand-jury-in-georgia-expected-to-convene-in-probe-of-trumps-efforts-to-overturn-election/

Grand jury in Georgia expected to convene in probe of Trump’s efforts to overturn election

A grand jury is expected to be seated this week in Fulton County, Georgia, to look into efforts by Donald Trump to overturn the 2020 election, signaling that the county’s investigation into the former president is intensifying.

Prosecutors in Fulton County are expected pursue subpoenas for documents and witnesses and rely heavily on them, people familiar with the investigation told ABC News.

In a letter sent last month from Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis to Gov. Brian Kemp and obtained by ABC News, Willis said the grand jury would convene in March and would “begin requesting grand jury subpoenas as necessary at that time.”

Willis wrote in the Feb. 10 letter that her office had no reason to believe any Georgia official was the target of the investigation.

The district attorney’s office in Fulton County formally launched a criminal probe into Trump’s efforts to overturn his election loss in the state last month, after Trump was heard in a Jan. 2 phone call pleading with Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to help him “find 11,780 votes,” the exact number he needed to win Georgia.

“This investigation includes, but is not limited to, potential violations of Georgia law prohibiting the solicitation of election fraud, the making of false statements to state and local governmental bodies, conspiracy, racketeering, violation of oath of office and any involvement in violence or threats related to the election’s administration,” Willis wrote in her letter to the governor.

Trump has previously denied any wrongdoing.

• Thanks 1

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al