The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't think there's any way I can explain it to you. I don't have the ability to perform brain surgery over the internet....

try using a Jewish space laser. 

• Cheers 3

Will not pass the Senate because of course it won't

https://www.axios.com/dc-statehood-bill-house-vote-1575b95c-4da2-4992-8c89-1c60b1997d3c.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=politics-breaking

House passes bill that would make D.C. the 51st state

The House of Representatives voted 216-208 on Thursday to pass a bill that would grant statehood to Washington, D.C.

The big picture: It's the second year in a row that the Democratic-controlled House has voted to recognize D.C. as the 51st state. The bill now heads to a divided Senate, where it faces little chance of reaching the 60 votes necessary to send to President Biden's desk.

• Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has promised to bring the legislation to the chamber's floor for a vote, but it's opposed by Republicans and even some Democrats.

How it works: H.R. 51, the Washington, D.C. Admission Act, would give the district two senators and a voting representative in the House.

• The new state would be called "Washington, Douglas Commonwealth" in honor of abolitionist Frederick Douglass.
  • It would exclude federal buildings and monuments, and federal territory would be known as the Capital.

Why it matters: Statehood for the district is a priority for Democrats, who have painted statehood as a civil rights issue, and a matter of enfranchisement for the city's Black plurality.

Go deeper: D.C. statehood explained (USA Today)

Its still a bit surprising to me that conservatives wear stupid like a badge of honour now. Not sure when that change occurred in the US exactly but it seems to have come with the growing influence of social conservatism and Tea Party anger. 

MTG is just the latest to use sensationalism to drain money from conservatives, its actually hilarious how she's well playing them to line her own pockets. 

• Cheers 2

If this is the best that the QOP can counter with, then I'm sorry, both sides are not the same.  One side is somewhat living in the real world.  The other is in La La La La La La Land.  The latter is the side that embraced the Q.

https://www.axios.com/senate-republicans-infrastructure-f00dec03-d528-4646-a821-9fcc3cd75ebd.html

Senate Republicans unveil $568 billion infrastructure counterproposal

Senate Republicans formally rolled out the framework for their $568 billion counterproposal to President Biden's $2.5 trillion infrastructure plan on Thursday.

Why it matters: The package is far narrower than anything congressional Democrats or the White House would agree to, but it serves as a marker for what Republicans want out of a potential bipartisan deal.

Between the lines: Biden insists he wants his "American Jobs Plan" to pass with bipartisan votes and go through regular order in the Senate, meaning it would need at least 10 GOP senators to sign on.

• The administration has invited a number of Republican lawmakers to the White House over the past several weeks in a sign of sincerity of Biden's pledge.
  • But even without Republican support, Biden and the Democratic-controlled Senate could opt to pass the bill via the budget reconciliation process, which would only require a simple majority vote. Having this tool at their disposal has made many Republicans wary of whether Biden will stay committed to his pledge of reaching across the aisle.
  • So a group of Senate Republicans, led by Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.V.), the ranking Republican on the Environment and Public Works Committee, crafted a scaled-down infrastructure plan that they argue could pass with bipartisan support.
  • Other Senate co-sponsors include Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Pat Toomey (R-Pa.), Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), and John Barrasso (R-Wyo.).

What they're saying: "A billion dollars is a lot of money," Wicker said at a press conference unveiling the framework. "$568 billion is a very, very generous offer in dealing with infrastructure."

Details: The Republicans' package focuses on the elements in the first part of Biden's Build Back Better agenda — building up America's roads, bridges, airports and ports, or what the GOP calls "traditional" infrastructure.

• It also includes provisions on expanded broadband, particularly in rural areas, and building up water infrastructure.
  • The GOP framework calls for the government to fully cover the cost of the bill "to avoid increasing the debt."
  • Republican senators argue the bill should repurpose some of the $350 billion sent out to state and local governments in the "American Rescue Plan," as well as encourage private sector investment to help pay for the package.

What's absent: The parts of Biden's bill that Republicans largely consider a "progressive wishlist" — including provisions meant to tackle climate change and promote racial equality.

• The bill insists on preserving former President Trump's "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act," rather than passing Biden's plan to raise taxes on those making more than $400,000 a year.
  • That includes preserving the 21% corporate tax rate, which Biden has proposed raising to 28% to help pay for the bill, and demanding the cap on the state and local tax deduction (SALT) remain unchanged.

By the numbers:

• $299B for roads and bridges
  • $61B for public transit
  • $65B for broadband infrastructure
  • $44B for airports
  • $35B for drinking water and wastewater
  • $20B for rail systems
  • $13B for safety
  • $17B ports and inland waters
  • $14B for water storage

2 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Will not pass the Senate because of course it won't

https://www.axios.com/dc-statehood-bill-house-vote-1575b95c-4da2-4992-8c89-1c60b1997d3c.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=politics-breaking

House passes bill that would make D.C. the 51st state

The House of Representatives voted 216-208 on Thursday to pass a bill that would grant statehood to Washington, D.C.

The big picture: It's the second year in a row that the Democratic-controlled House has voted to recognize D.C. as the 51st state. The bill now heads to a divided Senate, where it faces little chance of reaching the 60 votes necessary to send to President Biden's desk.

• Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has promised to bring the legislation to the chamber's floor for a vote, but it's opposed by Republicans and even some Democrats.

How it works: H.R. 51, the Washington, D.C. Admission Act, would give the district two senators and a voting representative in the House.

• The new state would be called "Washington, Douglas Commonwealth" in honor of abolitionist Frederick Douglass.
  • It would exclude federal buildings and monuments, and federal territory would be known as the Capital.

Why it matters: Statehood for the district is a priority for Democrats, who have painted statehood as a civil rights issue, and a matter of enfranchisement for the city's Black plurality.

Go deeper: D.C. statehood explained (USA Today)

I wonder who the Democrats that oppose this are? Manchin and Sinema? Whatever happened to the "No taxation without representation" mantra?

They should do Puerto Rico as well.

• Cheers 2

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I wonder who the Democrats that oppose this are? Manchin and Sinema? Whatever happened to the "No taxation without representation" mantra?

They should do Puerto Rico as well.

At least this time there will be a vote in the Senate.  We will get to see who they are.

• Vintage 2

If this is the best that the QOP can counter with, then I'm sorry, both sides are not the same.  One side is somewhat living in the real world.  The other is in La La La La La La Land.  The latter is the side that embraced the Q.

https://www.axios.com/senate-republicans-infrastructure-f00dec03-d528-4646-a821-9fcc3cd75ebd.html

Senate Republicans unveil $568 billion infrastructure counterproposal

Senate Republicans formally rolled out the framework for their $568 billion counterproposal to President Biden's $2.5 trillion infrastructure plan on Thursday.

Why it matters: The package is far narrower than anything congressional Democrats or the White House would agree to, but it serves as a marker for what Republicans want out of a potential bipartisan deal.

Between the lines: Biden insists he wants his "American Jobs Plan" to pass with bipartisan votes and go through regular order in the Senate, meaning it would need at least 10 GOP senators to sign on.

• The administration has invited a number of Republican lawmakers to the White House over the past several weeks in a sign of sincerity of Biden's pledge.
  • But even without Republican support, Biden and the Democratic-controlled Senate could opt to pass the bill via the budget reconciliation process, which would only require a simple majority vote. Having this tool at their disposal has made many Republicans wary of whether Biden will stay committed to his pledge of reaching across the aisle.
  • So a group of Senate Republicans, led by Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.V.), the ranking Republican on the Environment and Public Works Committee, crafted a scaled-down infrastructure plan that they argue could pass with bipartisan support.
  • Other Senate co-sponsors include Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Pat Toomey (R-Pa.), Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), and John Barrasso (R-Wyo.).

What they're saying: "A billion dollars is a lot of money," Wicker said at a press conference unveiling the framework. "$568 billion is a very, very generous offer in dealing with infrastructure."

Details: The Republicans' package focuses on the elements in the first part of Biden's Build Back Better agenda — building up America's roads, bridges, airports and ports, or what the GOP calls "traditional" infrastructure.

• It also includes provisions on expanded broadband, particularly in rural areas, and building up water infrastructure.
  • The GOP framework calls for the government to fully cover the cost of the bill "to avoid increasing the debt."
  • Republican senators argue the bill should repurpose some of the $350 billion sent out to state and local governments in the "American Rescue Plan," as well as encourage private sector investment to help pay for the package.

What's absent: The parts of Biden's bill that Republicans largely consider a "progressive wishlist" — including provisions meant to tackle climate change and promote racial equality.

• The bill insists on preserving former President Trump's "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act," rather than passing Biden's plan to raise taxes on those making more than $400,000 a year.
  • That includes preserving the 21% corporate tax rate, which Biden has proposed raising to 28% to help pay for the bill, and demanding the cap on the state and local tax deduction (SALT) remain unchanged.

By the numbers:

• $299B for roads and bridges
  • $61B for public transit
  • $65B for broadband infrastructure
  • $44B for airports
  • $35B for drinking water and wastewater
  • $20B for rail systems
  • $13B for safety
  • $17B ports and inland waters
  • $14B for water storage

I think the telling part is the removal of tax increases for anyone making over $400k/year....

I'd hazard a guess that this would encompass virtually everyone who had a hand in drafting this counter proposal?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

At least this time there will be a vote in the Senate.  We will get to see who they are.

It's time the Dems started acting like the Retrumplicans....primary those two....

The GQP is on record with plans for blanket opposition to any and all of Biden's initiatives. This bipartisanship that Manchin keeps talking about is a pipe dream. JB has to force legislation through before the 2022 midterms and if a couple of idealistic Dems want to stand in the way of the agenda, they need to be rooted out.

Bipartisanship is what we should aspire to, but when the GQP refuses to get on board with initiatives that have broad public support (like the Covid Relief and Infrastructure Bills) it's obvious that they have abandoned the idea of working together and are just trying to stall legislation for two years, when they think they can take back control of the House or Senate. (or both)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Chesster said:

I know the media says he harassed her. That's the issue. They also concocted a drink bleach story.

man, I'll give you this, you are entertaining. Please tell me you are donating to MTG. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

man, I'll give you this, you are entertaining. Please tell me you are donating to MTG. 

Why would I? I'm not impressed by her. DeSantis looks like the hope to save society.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Chesster said:

I know the media says he harassed her. That's the issue. They also concocted a drink bleach story.

No they didn't. (at least not the bulk of them) The correctly reported that he had floated the idea of injecting disinfectant.

It was just random people who started referring to "drinking bleach"..... Mainly because idiots like this interpreted Trump's comments as such:

https://whdh.com/news/health-officials-man-drank-toxic-cleaning-product-after-trumps-comments-on-disinfectants/

Since Trump mentioned Thursday that researchers were looking at the effects of disinfectants on the virus and wondered aloud if they could be injected into people, the Kansas Poison Control Center has reported a 40 percent increase in cases involving cleaning solutions, the Wichita Eagle reported.

“A fellow over the weekend drank a product because of the advice he’d received,” said Lee Norman, a Kansas health officer.

Norman didn’t reveal exactly whose advice the man was following, but the incident unfolded just days after Trump said “it would be interesting to check” if injecting disinfectants can prevent the coronavirus from doing a “tremendous number on the lungs.”

In regards to your assertion that MTG was being polite, I posted those two search results to demonstrate the fact that it's not just me who thinks your wrong....it's the entire internet....

• Vintage 1

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al