The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

6 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion but if it does NOT agree with a select few here - they have a temper tantrum and try to "down vote" your posts with a derogatory "like".  

Best option is to mute those "select".  

Like the paper bag you gave me.

Fair play. 

No temper here though. Sometimes opinions are like .....and some .... stink. 

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

There’s opinion and then there’s denying things that are objectively and demonstrably true, like a Trump quote taken verbatim. 

Exactly. This is the only thing that can be believed.

6 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I'm interested to learn what are Chester approved sources and what sources belong in the "fake news" pile since "the media" are constantly his/her whipping boys.

I'm interested to learn the methodology that Chester uses to determine his approved sources. 

There is no "methodology" involved brother.

He is just trolling you guys.

I was listening to Pulitzer prize winning Author Geraldine Brooks speaking yesterday afternoon.

Her husband Tony Horwitz also a Pulitzer prize winning journalist for his book Confederates in the Attic would go and visit people in the southern states,sit down on a stool in bar next to them,talk to them and try and understand what their true beliefs are and where they came from.

He was following the lead of Frederick Law Olmsted who did the same thing in the 19 th century.

Olmsted wanted to  bring people together and one of his ideas was designing and building public parks,the most famous being central park in New York.

Sadly the idea of wanting to understand "the other side's" beliefs and to try and find common ground has disappeared.

One of the anecdotes that Geraldine told was that a colleague she had respected and thought was an intelligent,rational person told her that trump must have won the election because he brought 64 cases in relation to the election before the courts and lost them all.

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I was listening to Pulitzer prize winning Author Geraldine Brooks speaking yesterday afternoon.

Her husband Tony Horwitz also a Pulitzer prize winning journalist for his book Confederates in the Attic would go and visit people in the southern states,sit down on a stool in bar next to them,talk to them and try and understand what their true beliefs are and where they came from.

He was following the lead of Frederick Law Olmsted who did the same thing in the 19 th century.

Olmsted wanted to  bring people together and one of his ideas was designing and building public parks,the most famous being central park in New York.

Sadly the idea of wanting to understand "the other side's" beliefs and to try and find common ground has disappeared.

One of the anecdotes that Geraldine told was that a colleague she had respected and thought was an intelligent,rational person told her that trump must have won the election because he brought 64 cases in relation to the election before the courts and lost them all.

Pulitzer, pffff. If it ain't a Noble Prize it ain't nothin.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Good stuff. 

I totally understand that he's trolling.   Just like to poke the bear.  I asked the question knowing full well he probably wouldn't respond with anything of substance.   He represents the type that has no idea what they're talking about and just parrots the usual talking points that CNN bad because papa TRUMP said they were.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Pulitzer, pffff. If it ain't a Noble Prize it ain't nothin.

I think many of the winners of both Pulitzer's and Nobel-which is what I am guessing you mean-prize winners lack cred.

However if you research the people I have mentioned and then put their work into the context of the discussion we are having and the state of political debate in America right now,I think you will find their credibility is not lacking.

Edited by Ilunga

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I think many of the winners of both Pulitzer's and Nobel-which is what a am guessing you mean-prize winners lack cred.

However if you research the people I have mentioned and then put their work into the context of the discussion we are having and the state of political debate in America right now,I think you will find their credibility is not lacking.

Sorry brother, it was an inside joke that may have missed the mark. I won't spoil the surprise for you. Google "noble prize", scroll down a little, and you'll see why. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chesster said:

we've gone by his words, then he says he didn't say it even though it's on video and audio and his supporters claim he never said it or that there is no reliable commentary....

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

we've gone by his words, then he says he didn't say it even though it's on video and audio and his supporters claim he never said it or that there is no reliable commentary....

The same people who were told not to believe their own eyes and ears and bought it- who’s have thought? 

If that’s not being cucked, I don’t know what is. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Like 2

But hey, he handed out some paper towel so he did something. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/new-probe-confirms-trump-officials-blocked-puerto-rico-receiving-hurri-rcna749

New probe confirms Trump officials blocked Puerto Rico from receiving hurricane aid

The Trump administration also obstructed an investigation looking into why it was depriving the U.S. territory of congressionally approved funds, the report found.

• Vintage 1

Another addition to the long list of complainants that were stiffed by Trump and will never see their money.

City of Albuquerque refers Trump campaign bill to collection agency

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.- The City of Albuquerque referred the Trump campaign to a collection agency.

The city is seeking approximately $200,000 following the president's rally in Rio Rancho in 2019.

Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller said the bill covers security costs that stem from the former president staying in a downtown Albuquerque hotel overnight. 

The security cost include blocking off parts of downtown, paying police officers overtime and covering the paid time off expenses of city workers who had to stay home.

"We actually treated it like any other debt, and so it goes through a somewhat process where you send a bunch of letters out," Keller said. "We got no response from those letters. And then automatically, it does go to an agency that helps try and collect debts, and so that's those annoying phone calls you get that say, you know, you owe money to so-and-so like now, Trump is getting those."

Most of America found out about the debt when Keller appeared on the Daily Show to talk about the bill.

Despite the newfound attention to the bill, Keller doesn't expect the collection agency to get money out of Trump.

"Given what else has happened, I mean in terms of, even his own campaign owing money to donors and lots of shady stuff there, so unfortunately I don't really expect us to get paid," he said. "But it's important that we do, and you know, we would do it for anyone else, so he's no different."

KOB 4 reached out to the Trump campaign to find out if it plans on repaying the City of Albuquerque. The campaign replied with an email that stated the campaign is "reviewing your request."

• Cheers 2

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al