The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

29 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Federal judge blocks Texas restrictive abortion law, says women faced 'irreparable harm'

USA TODAY

Federal judge blocks Texas restrictive abortion law, says women faced 'irreparable harm'

Madlin Mekelburg and Christal Hayes, USA TODAY NETWORK
Wed, October 6, 2021, 8:01 PM

AUSTIN – A federal judge late Wednesday temporarily blocked enforcement of a Texas abortion law that effectively bans the procedure, delivering an early victory to the Biden administration in its legal challenge to the law.

In a 113-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman of Austin said the law is an "offensive deprivation of such an important right" and said state actors, including judges and court clerks, can no longer enforce its provisions.

"From the moment (the law) went into effect, women have been unlawfully prevented from exercising control over their lives in ways that are protected by the Constitution," Pitman wrote.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott signed the legislation, known as the "fetal heartbeat" bill, into law in May — forcing the issue of reproductive rights back into the political spotlight. The law bans abortions once a fetal heartbeat is detected, usually around six weeks of pregnancy and before many people realize they are pregnant. There are no exemptions in cases of rape or incest.

Abortion providers say the legislation would restrict 85% of abortion procedures in Texas. The law is one of the most direct challenges on the boundaries of the U.S. Supreme Court's 1973 landmark Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion.

Similar six-week abortion laws in Georgia, Kentucky and other states have been blocked by federal courts.

But last month, the Supreme Court left the law to take effect. Over the objections of three liberal associate justices and Chief Justice John Roberts, the high court declined to block enforcement of the law in a 5-4 ruling.

Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor called the decision "stunning," in a dissenting opinion joined by Associate Justices Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan.

Despite a federal court temporarily blocking enforcement Wednesday, the fight over the law — and abortion broadly — is far from over. Texas is likely to appeal the decision, and the legal fight could once again come before the U.S. Supreme Court depending on the ruling from an appeals court.

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement the decision "is a victory for women in Texas and for the rule of law."

"It is the foremost responsibility of the Department of Justice to defend the Constitution," he said. "We will continue to protect constitutional rights against all who would seek to undermine them.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/federal-judge-blocks-texas-restrictive-011234563.html

(more in the link)

I'm going to guess that the knuckleheads in the QOP will harp that this judge was an Obama appointment.  Thing is, he had support from both of Texas' Republican US Senators for his previous appointment for United States Attorney for the Western District of Texas.  When he was a magistrate judge, he rated very high.  Oh, and he's openly gay.

• Cheers 3

17 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yes, as I said, I have no faith in the US justice system. It's far too easy for the rich and / or well connected to skate by the consequences for their actions.....meanwhile, if you happen to be the wrong color, passing a fake $20, or selling pirated DVDs could mean a death sentence....

That's why I put my faith in litigation. Outside of incarceration, financial ruin seems to be the best we can hope for....

As much as I hate to say it, bonespurs will die eating cheese burgers and living in the delusional world he dwells in.

I never understood why Trump's advisers never got him to exploit the unitary theory of executive power that was still on the books from Cheney's reign. 

There never was anyone of even average intelligence in the Whitehouse during his tenure there thank #$@#.

• Haha 1

Anyone who knows me, (or has read my comments in this and other political threads) knows that I find the Democratic Party infinitely better than the Republican party. That being said, I have also complained many times about the Dems' predilection for shooting themselves in the foot. In a nutshell, their messaging often leaves much to be desired. ("Defund the Police", anyone?)

So when I read about the Senate deal to raise the debt ceiling (even though it only extends for a couple of months) I was glad to see that at least some (11, I think) Republicans voted with all of the Democrats.

What I was not so glad about was Chuck Schumer's insistence on grandstanding after the fact and rubbing it in the faces of the Republicans. (The equivalent of "spiking the ball in their faces after a touchdown" according to CNN's Chris Cilizza)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/politics/chuck-schumer-joe-manchin-debt-limit/index.html

Whether Schumer's criticisms were warranted or not, the fact is they were unnecessary and they did nothing but exacerbate an already divided Senate. To underscore that position, WV Democrat Joe Manchin could be seen behind Schumer, shaking his head, burying his face in his hands and finally getting up and leaving the chamber.

There isn't much that I agree with Joe Manchin on, but IMHO, his description of Schumer's antics as "partisan" and "Inappropriate", were bang on.

Nobody likes a sore loser like Trump (except for Maga-morons) but nobody likes sore winners either, Chuck....<_<

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Anyone who knows me, (or has read my comments in this and other political threads) knows that I find the Democratic Party infinitely better than the Republican party. That being said, I have also complained many times about the Dems' predilection for shooting themselves in the foot. In a nutshell, their messaging often leaves much to be desired. ("Defund the Police", anyone?)

So when I read about the Senate deal to raise the debt ceiling (even though it only extends for a couple of months) I was glad to see that at least some (11, I think) Republicans voted with all of the Democrats.

What I was not so glad about was Chuck Schumer's insistence on grandstanding after the fact and rubbing it in the faces of the Republicans. (The equivalent of "spiking the ball in their faces after a touchdown" according to CNN's Chris Cilizza)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/politics/chuck-schumer-joe-manchin-debt-limit/index.html

Whether Schumer's criticisms were warranted or not, the fact is they were unnecessary and they did nothing but exacerbate an already divided Senate. To underscore that position, WV Democrat Joe Manchin could be seen behind Schumer, shaking his head, burying his face in his hands and finally getting up and leaving the chamber.

There isn't much that I agree with Joe Manchin on, but IMHO, his description of Schumer's antics as "partisan" and "Inappropriate", were bang on.

Nobody likes a sore loser like Trump (except for Maga-morons) but nobody likes sore winners either, Chuck....<_<

As I keep on stating Brother it is literally a choice between the lesser of 2 evils.

Do you believe this is not only what the American voter deserves but also all our so called democracies.

No one has commented on the the facts I posted up about Democratic senator Kryrsten Sinema and her blatant disregard for her constituents instead supporting banks and big pharma. 

Apart from Bernie,AOC and her group all of the rest are bought and paid for by "special interests".

Bottom line is the gap between the haves and the have not has been growing since the Reagan years at an exponential rate. 

Have you had an interaction with a woman living in her car with her 2 kids ?

I have.

I and my son brought her food and gave her money until the police "moved her on".

I found this out because I ran into her at another park.

We deserve more than this.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

As I keep on stating Brother it is literally a choice between the lesser of 2 evils.

Do you believe this is not only what the American voter deserves but also all our so called democracies.

No one has commented on the the facts I posted up about Democratic senator Kryrsten Sinema and her blatant disregard for her constituents instead supporting banks and big pharma. 

Apart from Bernie,AOC and her group all of the rest are bought and paid for by "special interests".

Bottom line is the gap between the haves and the have not has been growing since the Reagan years at an exponential rate. 

Have you had an interaction with a woman living in her car with her 2 kids ?

I have.

I and my son brought her food and gave her money until the police "moved her on".

I found this out because I ran into her at another park.

We deserve more than this.

To be clear, I think everything Schumer said about the Republicans was accurate.....but it wasn't the time to rub their noses in it....

It was dumb and if Schumer thought he was going to score political points there, I'd say he more likely dunked on himself.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Appeals court puts temporary hold on judge's order blocking Texas 6-week abortion ban

A federal appeals court on Friday night put a temporary hold on a judge's order blocking Texas' six-week abortion ban.

The 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals granted Texas' request for an administrative stay of the order. Texas had filed the request Friday afternoon, after US District Judge Robert Pitman issued a sweeping order earlier in the week blocking the law at the request of the US Justice Department, which had brought a legal challenge last month.

On Friday night, the New Orleans-based appellate court also asked for the Justice Department to respond by 5 p.m. local time on Tuesday to a request by Texas that Pitman's order be frozen while its appeal is considered by the 5th Circuit.

The fight over Pitman's order could ultimately end up before the Supreme Court, which rejected an earlier request from abortion clinics that it block the law.

The morning after Pitman had issued his order, some clinics in Texas resumed providing abortions to patients who were beyond six weeks in their pregnancy. They're doing so at some legal risk, as the Texas law allows enforcement actions to be brought for abortions conducted while a court order blocking the law is in effect, if the court order is later reversed by a higher court.

Rather than task government officials with enforcing the ban, via criminal or administrative penalties, the law deputizes private citizens to bring state court litigation against providers or anyone who assists a woman in obtaining an abortion after fetal cardiac activity is detected -- a point usually around six weeks into the pregnancy but often before a woman knows she is pregnant.

To get around this unusual enforcement mechanism, Pitman's order included prohibitions on state court officials, including judges, from proceeding with state court lawsuits filed against clinics and others accused of violating the ban.

Texas, in its Friday request with the 5th Circuit, said Pitman's order violated precedent in how it targeted state courts, as well as private individuals seeking to bring enforcement litigation under the abortion ban.

"There is no precedent for the district court's injunction; it grossly and irreparably interferes with Texas state-court operations," Texas wrote in the filing. "It also places state courts and their employees under imminent threat of contempt based on the actions of third parties that they cannot control."

Until Pitman's order Wednesday, the design of the ban's enforcement mechanism had been successful in stymieing other legal attempts -- by clinics and others -- to get the law enjoined.

"Fully aware that depriving its citizens of this right by direct state action would be flagrantly unconstitutional, the State contrived an unprecedented and transparent statutory scheme to do just that," Pitman wrote Wednesday.

When clinics, in their own lawsuit challenging the ban, previously asked the 5th Circuit to block the law, the appeals court declined, as did the conservative majority of the US Supreme Court.
"From the moment S.B. 8 went into effect, women have been unlawfully prevented from exercising control over their lives in ways that are protected by the Constitution," Pitman said. "That other courts may find a way to avoid this conclusion is theirs to decide; this Court will not sanction one more day of this offensive deprivation of such an important right."
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

To be clear, I think everything Schumer said about the Republicans was accurate.....but it wasn't the time to rub their noses in it....

It was dumb and if Schumer thought he was going to score political points there, I'd say he more likely dunked on himself.

Oh I agree.

What jerks me off is the fact these people are elected to work together to make our societies better places to live.

Now they don't even have the shame to hide the fact they are literally tools for big business let alone work together for the betterment of the people who elect them.

• Burr 1

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

This all shifted in this direction around 1994. That was 27 years ago. So now you have people entering Congress who have never seen an era of bi-partisanship. All they know is you stick with your team and the other guy is the enemy. I don't know how you fix it. I just never want to see it get that bad up here.

The unfortunate answer is a common enemy or rallying cry. A war. I hope I'm wrong and things become less polarized but it doesn't seem to be moving that direction. The Republicans were just playing chicken with the @##@ing debt ceiling. Like wtf. It is idiocy.

One would think a pandemic may have helped both sides work together but unfortunately that was politicized as well. If Covid was more deadly maybe people would have worked together a little more.

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Go back far enough and all you'd see is bi-partisanship. Take a look at Supreme Court nominee votes. They all used to get confirmed 95%+. Because each President would choose someone fairly middle of the road who was qualified. Now it's all about ideology, instead of interpretation of the laws.

Even votes in The House and Senate used to be very bi-partisan. Each party would work together in the interest of the country. All changed when Clinton was President. The Republicans lead by Newt Gingrich decided they were not going to work with him under any circumstances. When George Bush took over the Democrats returned the favour. Got even worse when Obama was President and again when Trump was President. Same crapolla under Biden.

How is it even possible to have a vote in the 435 member House that goes straight down party lines? Far too many are not acting in the best interest of their constituents and just doing what party leadership tells them to do. Or risk getting primaried. It's a sick, dysfunctional system.

This all shifted in this direction around 1994. That was 27 years ago. So now you have people entering Congress who have never seen an era of bi-partisanship. All they know is you stick with your team and the other guy is the enemy. I don't know how you fix it. I just never want to see it get that bad up here.

As far as i am concerned the last president to actually care about the American people as a whole was Carter.

Don't get me wrong he had his faults but he cared.

Then there was Reagan with his trickle down economics,big business owned his ass and he was senile by the end.

Clinton was an asshole in so many ways,one of his last acts was to repeal glass-steagall that really opened for the banks and their dodgy loans that culminated in the GFC.

Bush was Cheney's puppet and Cheney and rummy were pure evil and I don't say that lightly.

One can argue Obama cared about the American people however his foreign policy decisions regarding drone strikes and especially the military component of his pivot to Asia policy have led us to the conflict that Is brewing in the pacific-south pacific region.

Trump was the catalyst for what Gingrich had been trying to achieve since the the mid to late 90's,a total breakdown of any consensus between the two major parties. 

However what both parties have in common is they are both bought and paid for by "special interests".

Only a handful of elected politicians actually care about the people who elect them.

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Go back far enough and all you'd see is bi-partisanship. Take a look at Supreme Court nominee votes. They all used to get confirmed 95%+. Because each President would choose someone fairly middle of the road who was qualified. Now it's all about ideology, instead of interpretation of the laws.

Even votes in The House and Senate used to be very bi-partisan. Each party would work together in the interest of the country. All changed when Clinton was President. The Republicans lead by Newt Gingrich decided they were not going to work with him under any circumstances. When George Bush took over the Democrats returned the favour. Got even worse when Obama was President and again when Trump was President. Same crapolla under Biden.

How is it even possible to have a vote in the 435 member House that goes straight down party lines? Far too many are not acting in the best interest of their constituents and just doing what party leadership tells them to do. Or risk getting primaried. It's a sick, dysfunctional system.

And yet just when you think bipartisanship is dead…it comes back for the draft?

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Oh I agree.

What jerks me off is the fact these people are elected to work together to make our societies better places to live.

Now they don't even have the shame to hide the fact they are literally tools for big business let alone work together for the betterment of the people who elect them.

I noticed you mentioned Sinema earlier. She is one of the best people to name as a 'sell out'. She came up a green leftist and is now a bought out whore to the pharma industry and a so called moderate. 

That said....I find her quite appealing. I like her quirky style haha. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:54 PM, Ilunga said:

This article illuminates who actually runs the government for the people by the people.

https://www.salon.com/2021/10/01/former-senior-aide-to-kyrsten-sinema-is-now-top-lobbyist-for-jpmorgan-chase-fighting-hikes/

From the article 

Ex political aide for Democrat senator now chief lobbyist for JP Morgan Chase who by the way are world's largest lender to the fossil fuel industry.

The senator herself Krysten Sinema 

Used to be a green party member who campaigned for lowering drug prices and calling for the rich to pay their share.

Seems she has changed her mind.

Her current chief of staff has represented lobbyists Clark and Weinstock that have represented Pfizer and other big Pharma groups that oppose Biden's proposal to allow Medicare to negotiate the price if prescription drugs.

Yep the banks and big pharma screwing the American voter/taxpayer

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I noticed you mentioned Sinema earlier. She is one of the best people to name as a 'sell out'. She came up a green leftist and is now a bought out whore to the pharma industry and a so called moderate. 

That said....I find her quite appealing. I like her quirky style haha. 

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al