The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Research the 1033 and the 1122 programs.

They were introduced in 1990 and it is effectively militarizing police forces across America.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/09/why-police-pay-nothing-for-military-equipment.html

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/07/01/rights-groups-urge-us-congress-end-1033-program-demilitarize-police

Gotta wonder why a "democracy" has to militarize its police forces.

Because their citizens are a bunch of AR15 toting gun loving morons who believe people like Donald Trump? 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

When the "beacon of democracy",the US enacts voter suppression suppression laws countries like mine with conservative government's feel empowered to try the same $$_@ 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/27/proposed-voter-id-laws-real-threat-to-rights-of-indigenous-australians-and-people-without-homes

Here is our version of mjt claiming "credit' for said legislation.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/oct/28/i-understand-the-need-centre-alliance-could-offer-crucial-support-for-coalitions-controversial-voter-id-laws

We have had to show ID for voting for years. Or have other forms/means of proving identity. Did they really just have people come in and take their word for who they are? 

53 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Because their citizens are a bunch of AR15 toting gun loving morons who believe people like Donald Trump? 

If that is the case why did this start in 1990 ?

I believe it is to help the police oppress the minority groups on their communities for starters.

Also Americans just love their guns l,the bigger the better.

55 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

We have had to show ID for voting for years. Or have other forms/means of proving identity. Did they really just have people come in and take their word for who they are? 

We have to enrol to vote when we turn 18,it is mandatory.

When you go to the polls they check you off the list and then you go vote.

Never had to show ID in my life.

Up until a few decades ago we didn't live in a police state.

I am unsure if I can state that now.

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

If that is the case why did this start in 1990 ?

I believe it is to help the police oppress the minority groups on their communities for starters.

Also Americans just love their guns l,the bigger the better.

Gun toting nationalists is not a new problem in the US. A lot of this military gear is gotten via property seizure and auctions. They get to keep the money and use as they please. John Oliver did a good one on civil forfeiture. 

Hey I think it is ridiculous how they've armed their police but their citizenry is pretty wacko ;) 

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

We have to enrol to vote when we turn 18,it is mandatory.

When you go to the polls they check you off the list and then you go vote.

Never had to show ID in my life.

Up until a few decades ago we didn't live in a police state.

I am unsure if I can state that now.

Just state your name and go vote eh? Trusting folk for the spawn of convicts eh? ;)

I think I have had to show ID since I started voting 24 years ago. I wouldn't call this measure a police state but prudence. People should have ID and if the indigenous population is lacking the government should make efforts to make it easy for them to do so considering voting is mandatory. 

I always liked that fact about Aus. Somehow you guys still mostly vote in &^@#wads but that doesn't make you unique. 

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

The difference is that those states also actively reduce access to get ID in colored or poor neighborhoods and just plain reduce the number of sites and operation time to prevent those without IDs from voting. Also these laws are requiring photo IDs so it isn't like you just waltz with your birth certificate and utility Bill's/insurance card to vote like in Canada.

Would not really be an issue if state or national photo IDs can be issued at your local post office instead of just the dmv where you wait till oblivion. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Gun toting nationalists is not a new problem in the US. A lot of this military gear is gotten via property seizure and auctions. They get to keep the money and use as they please. John Oliver did a good one on civil forfeiture. 

Hey I think it is ridiculous how they've armed their police but their citizenry is pretty wacko ;) 

Most of the weapons are ex- military,direct from the military 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/05/why-are-some-us-police-forces-equipped-like-military-units

As the article states military weapons don't help with crime rates,office and IT supplies and vehicles help reduce crime rates.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Just state your name and go vote eh? Trusting folk for the spawn of convicts eh? ;)

I think I have had to show ID since I started voting 24 years ago. I wouldn't call this measure a police state but prudence. People should have ID and if the indigenous population is lacking the government should make efforts to make it easy for them to do so considering voting is mandatory. 

I always liked that fact about Aus. Somehow you guys still mostly vote in &^@#wads but that doesn't make you unique. 

It is not just this measure that makes me believe we are heading toward a police state here in Aus.

The threats to our ICAC's which I have posted articles about before.

Journalists houses being raided for exposing dodgy $##_ done by the government which I have posted about before. 

The lack of an integrity commission which we were promised over 3 years ago. 

We have no bill of rights or charter of freedoms.

We lock up refugees/asylum seekers in detention centres.

I could go on.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

The difference is that those states also actively reduce access to get ID in colored or poor neighborhoods and just plain reduce the number of sites and operation time to prevent those without IDs from voting. Also these laws are requiring photo IDs so it isn't like you just waltz with your birth certificate and utility Bill's/insurance card to vote like in Canada.

Would not really be an issue if state or national photo IDs can be issued at your local post office instead of just the dmv where you wait till oblivion. 

We were talking about Australia fyi ;)

12 hours ago, Ilunga said:

It is not just this measure that makes me believe we are heading toward a police state here in Aus.

The threats to our ICAC's which I have posted articles about before.

Journalists houses being raided for exposing dodgy $##_ done by the government which I have posted about before. 

The lack of an integrity commission which we were promised over 3 years ago. 

We have no bill of rights or charter of freedoms.

We lock up refugees/asylum seekers in detention centres.

I could go on.

It may be shocking news but at this point I mostly just skip over your posts at this point. I catch maybe 2/5. 

I an mostly here to crack wise for the lolz.  

But man you nailed it on refugee seekers treatment. What Aus does is heinous. I recall you guys tried to trade your internment camp folk for our South Americans we were already processing claims on.

That was a big no on our part and a bit racist on yours. 

Former New York Gov. Cuomo charged with misdemeanor sex crime

Former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been charged with a misdemeanor sex crime in Albany City Court, according to a spokesman for the New York State Court System.

The complaint, filed by an Albany County Sheriff's Department investigator, accused Cuomo of forcible touching.

The alleged crime took place at the governor's mansion on Dec. 7, 2020, when Cuomo "intentionally and for no legitimate purpose" forcibly placed his hand under the blouse of an unnamed victim and onto an intimate body part.

"Specifically, the victim's left breast for the purposes of degrading and gratifying his sexual desires, all contrary to the provisions of the statute in such case made and provided," the complaint said.

Cuomo resigned in August following a monthslong investigation by State Attorney General Letitia James that found he sexually harassed 11 women, including current and former state employees.

"Specifically, we find that the Governor sexually harassed a number of current and former New York State employees by, among other things, engaging in unwelcome and nonconsensual touching, as well as making numerous offensive comments of a suggestive and sexual nature that created a hostile work environment for women," the report said.

Cuomo has denied all allegations of sexual misconduct or harassment. Following his resignation, he said the report was politicized and that there was a rush to judgment.

"Let me say now that when government politicizes allegations and the headlines condemn without facts, you undermine the justice system and that doesn't serve women and it doesn't serve men or society," Cuomo said during his farewell address. "I understand that there are moments of intense political pressure and media frenzy that cause a rush to judgment, but that is not right. It's not fair or sustainable. Facts still matter."

An email to Cuomo's attorney, Rita Glavin, seeking comment on the misdemeanor sex crime charge was not immediately returned.

Attorney General James reacted to the filing, saying in a statement to ABC News that the "criminal charges brought today against Mr. Cuomo for forcible touching further validate the findings in our report."

Albany County District Attorney David Soares said in a statement that he was "surprised" by the criminal complaint and couldn't comment further.

The New York State Assembly suspended its impeachment investigation in the wake of Cuomo's resignation announcement. The impeachment probe was investigating sexual harassment and misconduct claims, as well as allegations the governor inappropriately used state resources to write his memoir and concerns around COVID-19 data and testing.

Cuomo was replaced by then-Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:13 PM, nuckin_futz said:

To anyone denying the existence of systemic racism. I would just ask them 1 question...........

You are going to start your life again and be born today. You have your choice to be born white or black? If they are being honest, the vast majority of them would choose to be born white for many obvious reasons. Such as ...... You be more likely to receive more education. You'd be more likely to make more money. You'd be likely to have better healthcare outcomes. You would be likely to live longer. You'd be far less likely to be killed at the hands of the police. You would receive lesser sentences for similar crimes than a black person etc.

Your parameters are interesting, let me ask you this

You are going to start your life again today, you have the choice to be Asian or White, most are going to choose to be Asian, right?  For many obvious reasons, such as..

Asian-Americans have a higher median income than whites, they are more likely to graduate highschool and college, they are less likely to go to jail, they are less likely to commit suicide.

What racially systemic ideology is causing black father's to abandon their children and their mothers at significantly higher rates than any other race?  One-parent homes means the child is more likely to drop out of school, commit a violent crime, go to prison and grow up in poverty

By your parameters, you are conveying that this is a systemically white dominated country(the u.s) because they do better than blacks in social economic categories meanwhile Asians lead almost every social economic category possible.

Is this a black vs white argument only?  If whites are so powerful and racist, why would they let one race like Asians reign supreme but suppress another?   Do you actually know anybody who dislikes a person solely based on their skin color and nothing else?  Probably not.  Wouldn't it be better to stop trying to make race an issue and just refer to someone as man/woman/person? Economic and cultural differences could be a bigger issue in today's world could it not? What exactly is stopping anybody from being better off economically and culturally?

Under this systemically racism system, how are there so many black millionaires and billionaires and how did Barack Obama become president?

Edited by Warhawk
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhawk said:

Long time lurker(primarily for Canucks), first time poster.

Hello, nucking_futz

Your parameters are interesting, let me ask you this

You are going to start your life again today, you have the choice to be Asian or White, most are going to choose to be Asian for many obvious reasons, such as..

Asian-Americans have a higher median income than whites, they are more likely to graduate highschool and college, they are less likely to go to jail, they are less likely to commit suicide.

What racially systemic ideology is causing black father's to abandon their children at significantly higher rates than any other race? Children in one-parent homes are far more likely to live a life of crime and violence.  What ideology causes blacks to kill blacks more than any other race kills blacks and lastly what ideology is causing blacks to commit more violent crimes than any other race?

By your parameters, you are conveying that this is a systemically white dominated country(the u.s) because they do better than blacks in social economic categories meanwhile Asians lead almost every social economic category possible.   

https://www.drelist.com/blog/penis-size-race/

• Haha 2

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Local/State Elections Nov.2: Mayors, Governors, Ballot Question to Defund Police in Minneapolis
5 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Katie Porter for president. If only more elected officials were like her we wouldn't be in this mess.

I don't understand this woman's point? Oil companies should pay more for land, I guess? Oil isn't just for transportation it's far more ingrained in our daily lives than most people understand. Oil was used in making the keyboard you use and the screen you're looking at. That Oil will be taken out of the ground no matter what.

• DonLever changed the title to USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al