The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

29 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

CNN's Chris Cuomo collected info on brother Andrew's accusers, media reports

Chris Cuomo used his contacts to garner information about the women accusing his brother, former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, of sexual harassment, as well as of emerging media coverage relating to the scandal.

Driving the news: Although the CNN anchor had previously acknowledged that he had joined strategy sessions with his brother as the scandal was unfolding, new evidence and a transcript of Chris Cuomo's interview with state investigators make clearer the level of his involvement.

• Andrew Cuomo resigned from his post as governor in August after 11 women accused him of inappropriate behavior.

The big picture: Chris Cuomo helped dictate statements for his brother to use and was in touch with one of his brother's top aides, Melissa DeRosa, per CNBC.

• "Please let me help with the prep," Cuomo wrote to DeRosa in one text in March.
  • After it was reported that Andrew Cuomo had made an inappropriate advance on a woman at a wedding reception, Cuomo texted DeRosa, “I have a lead on the wedding girl.”

Cuomo also used his media contacts to get ahead of stories coming out about his brother.

• In March, DeRosa texted Cuomo about rumors that Politico would be publishing a story with more accusations, adding "can you check your sources." The news anchor replied that he was "on it."
  • DeRosa and Cuomo also discussed via text a then-upcoming article by Ronan Farrow in the New Yorker. Cuomo told investigators that he had contacted another journalist to try and ascertain the story's publication date.
  • "I was frequently in contact when we would hear word that there were other people coming out. Or there was more to be learned about somebody, I would talk to other journalists to hear what they had heard," Cuomo said during his interview with investigators.

A representative for CNN, Cuomo's network, said in a statement that all the new evidence required "thorough review and consideration," per CNBC.

• "We will be having conversations and seeking additional clarity about their significance as they relate to CNN over the next several days."

Not exactly the highest ethical behaviour for a journalist. At best he was disingenuous at worse he straight out lied.  Not sure if he survives but these days who knows?

P.S. It's kind of a shame Clam and his imaginary buddies got nuked. He probably would have enjoyed this story.

Don't think this rises to the level of a crime, but he's blown it as far as credibility goes. I would think he's done from CNN.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, gurn said:

Chris Cuomo should be fired.

Wrong is wrong.

No matter who does it.

I wonder if it is possible that Chris's actions interfered with a police investigation in some way.

If so he should be in legal trouble as well as unemployed in the media bizz.

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Don't think this rises to the level of a crime, but he's blown it as far as credibility goes. I would think he's done from CNN.

I agree. He probably needs to go and start a Podcast or something.

Of course, I still have to SMH that this will probably cost CC his job, while the likes of Tucker Carlson continue promoting lies and racism with impunity....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree. He probably needs to go and start a Podcast or something.

Of course, I still have to SMH that this will probably cost CC his job, while the likes of Tucker Carlson continue promoting lies and racism with impunity....

if you're going to say you're better than that, then you had better live up to it. 

I get it, it was his bro so its hard to know what you'd do in his shoes but he still needs to exit if CNN cares about higher standards. Which is a bit funny because they do play the high drama card too much.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if you're going to say you're better than that, then you had better live up to it. 

I get it, it was his bro so its hard to know what you'd do in his shoes but he still needs to exit if CNN cares about higher standards. Which is a bit funny because they do play the high drama card too much.

Sure. Which is why I said I agreed in the first place.

That being said, I also think it's important to note that the left and the right play by two different sets of rules when it comes to ethics.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sure. Which is why I said I agreed in the first place.

That being said, I also think it's important to note that the left and the right play by two different sets of rules when it comes to ethics.

do they? there's some creepy things on either side of the aisle going back a long time, 

I do agree the current Trumpian stuff is by far the worst we've seen from either, I'm not sure I can agree one side is pure tho. 

I think at this point it is pretty obvious that both sides of the American coin don't have an ethical leg to stand on.  The shine that Obama put on the democrats during his terms has long since vanished (was it really there?).  

I don't hate the States like some very vocal folks in this thread but I do think that they need to have some type of reckoning/referendum to figure some things out and get moving in the right direction as a country.  

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

do they? there's some creepy things on either side of the aisle going back a long time, 

I do agree the current Trumpian stuff is by far the worst we've seen from either, I'm not sure I can agree one side is pure tho. 

Of course they do. Look at Al Franken and Katie Hill and then look at the stuff MTG, Gosar and Bobert have been doing / saying, while still keeping their positions.

.....and who said anything about one side being "pure".....:huh:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark Meadows cooperating with House Jan. 6 select committee

Former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows is cooperating with the House select committee in charge of investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection, the panel said Tuesday.

Driving the news: Meadows, who failed to appear before the panel earlier this month, is believed to have insight into former President Trump's role in efforts to stop the certification of President Biden's election win.

• Meadows was the second person to defy the subpoena, following former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, who was taken into custody on charges of contempt of Congress.

The big picture: After rejecting a subpoena to appear for a deposition before the panel, it was believed that Meadows could face contempt charges.

• However, Meadows' attorney, George Terwilliger, told CNN, which first reported the story, that there is now an understanding between his client and the panel on how to exchange information.

What they're saying: "Mr. Meadows has been engaging with the Select Committee through his attorney. He has produced records to the committee and will soon appear for an initial deposition," committee Chair Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) said in a statement.

• "The Select Committee expects all witnesses, including Mr. Meadows, to provide all information requested and that the Select Committee is lawfully entitled to receive. The committee will continue to assess his degree of compliance with our subpoena after the deposition," Thompson added.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Mark Meadows cooperating with House Jan. 6 select committee

Former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows is cooperating with the House select committee in charge of investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection, the panel said Tuesday.

Driving the news: Meadows, who failed to appear before the panel earlier this month, is believed to have insight into former President Trump's role in efforts to stop the certification of President Biden's election win.

• Meadows was the second person to defy the subpoena, following former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, who was taken into custody on charges of contempt of Congress.

The big picture: After rejecting a subpoena to appear for a deposition before the panel, it was believed that Meadows could face contempt charges.

• However, Meadows' attorney, George Terwilliger, told CNN, which first reported the story, that there is now an understanding between his client and the panel on how to exchange information.

What they're saying: "Mr. Meadows has been engaging with the Select Committee through his attorney. He has produced records to the committee and will soon appear for an initial deposition," committee Chair Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) said in a statement.

• "The Select Committee expects all witnesses, including Mr. Meadows, to provide all information requested and that the Select Committee is lawfully entitled to receive. The committee will continue to assess his degree of compliance with our subpoena after the deposition," Thompson added.

I guess Eminem decided he doesn't look as good in orange as his Dear Leader does.....

42 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Of course they do. Look at Al Franken and Katie Hill and then look at the stuff MTG, Gosar and Bobert have been doing / saying, while still keeping their positions.

.....and who said anything about one side being "pure".....:huh:

that whole thing with Franken was stupid, and one of the reasons I am getting tired of the who's more ethical war. Franken's mistake deserved an apology, not losing one of the dem's better Senators. He only had to resign because of a woke over-reaction. 

We just need to call our bad behaviour and start leaving the "sides" out of it, otherwise each side excuses its own behaviour as not as bad as the other guy, or worse do something really stupid like lose a good senator. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

that whole thing with Franken was stupid, and one of the reasons I am getting tired of the who's more ethical war. Franken's mistake deserved an apology, not losing one of the dem's better Senators. He only had to resign because of a woke over-reaction. 

We just need to call our bad behaviour and start leaving the "sides" out of it, otherwise each side excuses its own behaviour as not as bad as the other guy, or worse do something really stupid like lose a good senator. 

I agree. But this is an example of exactly what I was saying. You may not like the "sides" comparison, but there is no doubt that they play by different rules.

And please, don't misrepresent what I say. I expect that kind of stuff from posters like heretic, not you.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree. But this is an example of exactly what I was saying. You may not like the "sides" comparison, but there is no doubt that they play by different rules.

And please, don't misrepresent what I say. I expect that kind of stuff from posters like heretic, not you.

didn't mean to do that. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

CNN's Chris Cuomo collected info on brother Andrew's accusers, media reports

Chris Cuomo used his contacts to garner information about the women accusing his brother, former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, of sexual harassment, as well as of emerging media coverage relating to the scandal.

Driving the news: Although the CNN anchor had previously acknowledged that he had joined strategy sessions with his brother as the scandal was unfolding, new evidence and a transcript of Chris Cuomo's interview with state investigators make clearer the level of his involvement.

• Andrew Cuomo resigned from his post as governor in August after 11 women accused him of inappropriate behavior.

The big picture: Chris Cuomo helped dictate statements for his brother to use and was in touch with one of his brother's top aides, Melissa DeRosa, per CNBC.

• "Please let me help with the prep," Cuomo wrote to DeRosa in one text in March.
  • After it was reported that Andrew Cuomo had made an inappropriate advance on a woman at a wedding reception, Cuomo texted DeRosa, “I have a lead on the wedding girl.”

Cuomo also used his media contacts to get ahead of stories coming out about his brother.

• In March, DeRosa texted Cuomo about rumors that Politico would be publishing a story with more accusations, adding "can you check your sources." The news anchor replied that he was "on it."
  • DeRosa and Cuomo also discussed via text a then-upcoming article by Ronan Farrow in the New Yorker. Cuomo told investigators that he had contacted another journalist to try and ascertain the story's publication date.
  • "I was frequently in contact when we would hear word that there were other people coming out. Or there was more to be learned about somebody, I would talk to other journalists to hear what they had heard," Cuomo said during his interview with investigators.

A representative for CNN, Cuomo's network, said in a statement that all the new evidence required "thorough review and consideration," per CNBC.

• "We will be having conversations and seeking additional clarity about their significance as they relate to CNN over the next several days."

Not exactly the highest ethical behaviour for a journalist. At best he was disingenuous at worse he straight out lied.  Not sure if he survives but these days who knows?

P.S. It's kind of a shame Clam and his imaginary buddies got nuked. He probably would have enjoyed this story.

If true, he's also slime and needs to be unemployed.  Puts him no better than the Tucker Carlsons and other fox talking eads at best

Dr. Oz confirms he'll run for Senate, slams 'elites' for handling of pandemic

Dr. Oz' Enters Senate Race, Raising Questions About TV Show | TVLine

Dr. Mehmet Oz, known to daytime television watchers as Dr. Oz, is getting into politics. 

In an op-ed for conservative news website The Washington Examiner, Oz confirmed reports he will enter the race for Pennsylvania's open Senate seat. A source told Yahoo News earlier on Tuesday that the television personality was seriously considering a run as a Republican and it's clear from his verbiage where he stands. Oz praised former President Donald Trump for showing "brilliance" in mRNA vaccine development, called out "government-mandated policies that caused unnecessary suffering" and slammed "elites."

"We are angry at our government and at each other," the 61-year-old cardiothoracic surgeon began. "We have not managed our crises as effectively as past generations. During the pandemic, I learned that when you mix politics and medicine, you get politics instead of solutions. That's why I am running for the U.S. Senate: to help fix the problems and to help us heal."

Oz was not shy in acknowledging his television background, which began as a health expert on The Oprah Winfrey Show before The Dr. Oz Show premiered in 2009. He's long been a controversial figure in the medical world but made it clear the pandemic motivated this political bid.

"The reality of our challenges has crystallized during the pandemic," Oz added. "COVID-19 became an excuse for the government and elite thinkers who controlled the means of communication to suspend debate. Dissenting opinions from leading scholars were ridiculed and canceled so their ideas could not be disseminated."

Oz blamed the government for causing "unnecessary suffering" and that "the public was patronized and misled instead of empowered."

"We were told to lock down quietly and let those in charge take care of the rest. When we tested positive for the virus, we were also told to wait at home until our lips turned blue and we got sick enough to warrant hospitalization. To be clear, this is not a typical medical protocol," he continued. "Elites with yards told those without yards to stay inside, where the virus was more likely to spread."

Oz continued, "Doctors are trained to tell it like it is because you deserve to hear our best advice and make your own decisions. It’s why I have fought the establishment my whole career. In this emergency, we needed capable leaders ready to act. We didn't get that. Sometimes, in medical emergencies, we will need to operate with swift and decisive action. Sometimes, we can use less invasive medications to correct course. Sometimes, we will use preventive health to stop problems from even emerging in the first place. We need to use all of our tools and tactics to get the job done in society, too."

Oz, who highlighted that he's the son of Turkish immigrants, said he wants to "fight for the benefit of our descendants."

"We have fumbled the baton we're supposed to pass to our children. And I want to pick up that baton and start racing toward our promising future," he concluded. "I'm running for the Senate to empower you to control your destiny, to reinvigorate our great nation, and to reignite the divine spark that we should always be seeing in each other."

The 2022 Senate race in Pennsylvania is going to be one of the most competitive and high-profile in the country with GOP Sen. Pat Toomey's retirement. The race blew open when Republican Sean Parnell, who was endorsed by Trump, suspended his campaign last week amid abuse allegations from his estranged wife.

It's unclear what Oz's Senate run means for his namesake show — but the program's website is now entirely about his campaign. A spokesperson for The Dr. Oz Show did not comment when contacted.

Everyone's favourite ***hole is running for the Senate as a Republican. The celebrity Dr is slamming "elites" without a hint of irony.

When does this circus leave town?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1