The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

30 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Probably not going to find any book depositories at Mar-a-Lago.....but I bet there's plenty of grassy knolls.....

And turn him into a Martyr ? 

I really could see open revolt happening if trump was assassinated. 

Would you be prepared to pull the trigger ? 

Like it or not it would still be murder. 

trump could die of natural causes tomorrow and nothing would change. 

His supporters now have their playbook and they will stick with it.

You as I, have denounced the death penalty.

Just now, Ilunga said:

And turn him into a Martyr ? 

I really could see open revolt happening if trump was assassinated. 

Would you be prepared to pull the trigger ? 

Like it or not it would still be murder. 

trump could die of natural causes tomorrow and nothing would change. 

His supporters now have their playbook and they will stick with it.

You as I, have denounced the death penalty.

I wasn't really serious.....but if it happened, I wouldn't be sorry....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I wasn't really serious.....but if it happened, I wouldn't be sorry....

I really dislike trump.

I will not waste any hate on him.

I know he is the cause of some injustice and that is what I hate. 

I try to love all human beings and not wish ill  on anyone however like you I would not shed a tear if he was killed.

2 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

Someone needs to take this &^@#er out once and for all. The wheels of justice turn far too slow for the amount of damage this POS causes just by getting out of bed in the morning.

I was prepared for 'doing it by the book'...investigations, charges, jail times......but here we are.....and the &^@#ers are still running circles around the law and tunneling right underneath it as well as blatantly defying it. I'm done taking the higher road with Trump and his ilk........ just get them gone by whatever means necessary.

The rot has gone so far past Trump now. It’s the teat-suckling enablers in the party that allow and promote these bs attacks on democracy. Trump was the rancid puss-filled boil that was allowed to fester too long, now gangrene is setting in and the Repugs are unwilling to amputate.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

The rot has gone so far past Trump now. It’s the teat-suckling enablers in the party that allow and promote these bs attacks on democracy. Trump was the rancid puss-filled boil that was allowed to fester too long, now gangrene is setting in and the Repugs are unwilling to amputate.

The rot was there long before trump.

Gingrich's actions created far more division than trump did within the party and American politics itself. 

The Republicans of  today represent the views of many Americans. 

America has never been a true democracy.

Neither has your country or mine. 

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article/fixing-democracy-canada

In fact the only true democracy in the history of our species was in 5th century BCE Athens, where all adult citizens had to take an active part in government. 

Switzerland is probably the society that employs a system that could be said to be the closest thing to democracy on this planet.

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

The rot was there long before trump.

Gingrich's actions created far more division than trump did within the party and American politics itself. 

The Republicans of  today represent the views of many Americans. 

America has never been a true democracy.

Neither has your country or mine. 

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article/fixing-democracy-canada

In fact the only true democracy in the history of our species was in 5th century BCE Athens, where all adult citizens had to take an active part in government. 

Switzerland is probably the society that employs a system that could be said to be the closest thing to democracy on this planet.

The Fraser institute?

Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The Fraser institute?

Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

they actually have some well researched articles. Yes there's slant, but its interesting to compare a paper from them and one from the Broadbent group on the same issue. Truth is usually somewhere between the two. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

they actually have some well researched articles. Yes there's slant, but its interesting to compare a paper from them and one from the Broadbent group on the same issue. Truth is usually somewhere between the two. 

Obviously I'm a teacher so I've got a pretty deep hatred of them.  Objectively though, they are far too biased to the anti government hard right for me to give them much serious consider

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

Obviously I'm a teacher so I've got a pretty deep hatred of them.  Objectively though, they are far too biased to the anti government hard right for me to give them much serious consider

I get that. Every group has its bias, so that part doesn't bother me. What I do like about some of their papers is you can often get good data sources. They skip over ones that don't help their point, but all these groups do that. Its like reading the Tyee and thinking thats the whole story. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I get that. Every group has its bias, so that part doesn't bother me. What I do like about some of their papers is you can often get good data sources. They skip over ones that don't help their point, but all these groups do that. Its like reading the Tyee and thinking thats the whole story. 

I agree there, for sure.

15 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I don't kneed to look up these things I am aware of them and I totally agree with you.

The Poles have always persecuted people.

From before the Cossacks to the Jews. 

I have never heard of the Soviet Empire,I have heard of the Soviet bloc.

They didn't invade/ conquer those countries,they liberated them from German occupation.

Many russian citizens feel the Soviet era was the greatest era in their history.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/24/75-of-russians-say-soviet-era-was-greatest-time-in-countrys-history-poll-a69735

There are various facts and figures in this article however the telling statement to me is at the end of the article 

" The Soviet era may not be seen as time of high living standards,but as a time of justice. 

Today's state capitalism is viewed as unfair, the injustice is in distribution, access to goods and infrastructure.

And this feeling is growing stronger".

These things can be stated about most capitalist societies. 

You are right injustice should be addressed wherever it exists. 

It is the one thing I hate.

From Russification of the the other USSR republics, forcefully removing and relocating the population, suppressing and destroying culture in other countries, military interventions in Hungary, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Afghanistan etc.

USSR was an empire that had military installations in Syria, Egypt, Mongolia, Cuba, Somalia, Finland, Angola, Vietnam, Yemen, Poland, Albania, East Germany etc. Textbook definition of an empire and referred to as such by many historians and political analysts.

I disagree with the liberation notion, USSR occupied Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania in 1940 and parts of Poland in 1939. Molotov and Ribbentrop deal took care of that, the only mistake that the Hitler made was attacking the USSR. When the Red Army arrived, Eastern Europe wasn’t given a chance, even the ones that were not liberated by them. Partisans numbered almost 800 000 in 1945 in Yugoslavia, overwhelming majority of the country was liberated by them.

When the Red Army entered through Serbia, they were very much interested in pillaging and raping.

So much that the Yugoslav army was mobilized to stop that.

As soon as the ties with the USSR were broken, Stalin started to plan an invasion through Bulgaria and Romania. The only thing that stopped him is the fact that he dropped dead,

Edited by CBH1926

13 hours ago, 4petesake said:

That may be true to a point, but I still think the world would be far better off with him out of the picture. (I'd prefer prison, but I'll take what I can get)

Bear in mind that the Matt Gaetz's and MTG's are still in the minority. The rest of them are just spineless cowards, who will do or say whatever it takes to stay in power. Right now in the GOP, staying in power seems to mean that you have to back the Big Lie.

With Bone Spurs out of the picture, normal republicans can go back to "Small government", "less taxes" and "spend more on the military"....

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That may be true to a point, but I still think the world would be far better off with him out of the picture. (I'd prefer prison, but I'll take what I can get)

Bear in mind that the Matt Gaetz's and MTG's are still in the minority. The rest of them are just spineless cowards, who will do or say whatever it takes to stay in power. Right now in the GOP, staying in power seems to mean that you have to back the Big Lie.

With Bone Spurs out of the picture, normal republicans can go back to "Small government", "less taxes" and "spend more on the military"....

Ideally he would wind up in prison (doesn’t seem likely to me) so best case scenario might be if his backers, underlings and fellow grifters, and those lawyers and Faux personalities who helped concoct the big lie pay the price. I’d hate to see a martyr made of him. But now that I think of it if the guy kicked off tomorrow from natural causes none of his supporters would believe it. We’ll be doomed to conspiracy anyway so…

The bolded would be a massive step forward but I wonder if there are enough normal republicans left anymore. There doesn’t seem to be much room left in that tent for normal. Lies like smaller government, lower taxes, and military spending” seem so small and distant now, I almost look back fondly on those long ago days. :blush:  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Ideally he would wind up in prison (doesn’t seem likely to me) so best case scenario might be if his backers, underlings and fellow grifters, and those lawyers and Faux personalities who helped concoct the big lie pay the price. I’d hate to see a martyr made of him. But now that I think of it if the guy kicked off tomorrow from natural causes none of his supporters would believe it. We’ll be doomed to conspiracy anyway so…

The bolded would be a massive step forward but I wonder if there are enough normal republicans left anymore. There doesn’t seem to be much room left in that tent for normal. Lies like smaller government, lower taxes, and military spending” seem so small and distant now, I almost look back fondly on those long ago days. :blush:  

The thing to bear in mind (and Nuckin Futz and I repeatedly reminded people of this prior to the election) is that the hard core MAGAts aren't enough to put anyone in office. Yes, Trump would be a martyr to some and yes, we might see more asshattery like we saw last Jan 6th, but the bulk of Republicans would just return to their "roots" not having to kowtow to Orange Julius Caesar anymore.

Right now, the vast majority are kissing the ring, because they have no choice if they want to keep their seat.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The thing to bear in mind (and Nuckin Futz and I repeatedly reminded people of this prior to the election) is that the hard core MAGAts aren't enough to put anyone in office. Yes, Trump would be a martyr to some and yes, we might see more asshattery like we saw last Jan 6th, but the bulk of Republicans would just return to their "roots" not having to kowtow to Orange Julius Caesar anymore.

Right now, the vast majority are kissing the ring, because they have no choice if they want to keep their seat.

This

The only ones who can save that country are moderate conservatives who voted for Trump simply because he's a republican and they could never vote democrat and conservative democrats who voted trump because they think the Dems are too far left (which is ridiculous)

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I want to believe that you and @nuckin_futz are right but the Dems keep shooting themselves in the foot (feet?).

Yes the MAGAts aren’t enough by themselves and the Repugs know that so they continue to get voter restriction laws passed. With luck the lost Democratic votes from disenfranchisement will be offset by the lopsided loss of Republican voters from Covid but the unlevel playing field that is being manufactured by voter restrictions and gerrymandering may continue to allow them to hold power without majorities

This from Bernie:

Over the course of 2021, Republican-led state legislatures passed an estimated 34 laws restricting ballot access, and more than 440 voter suppression measures were introduced.

If passed, the Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act would negate parts of the new GOP-authored laws by bolstering voter protections at the federal level. But activists fear that congressional Democrats might already be too late to enact reforms before the 2022 midterms, in which Republicans are widely favored to take back the House.

In an interview with the New York Times late last week, Sanders warned that the Democratic majority's failure to get voting rights and other key priorities across the finish line has "demoralized" voters, imperiling the party's prospects in upcoming elections.

"They're asking, 'What do the Democrats stand for?'" Sanders, the chair of the Senate Budget Committee, said of voters. "Clearly, the current strategy is failing and we need a major course correction."

"In my view, we are not going to win the elections in 2022 unless our base is energized and ordinary people understand what we are fighting for, and how we are different than the Republicans," he added. "That's not the case now."

26 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I want to believe that you and @nuckin_futz are right but the Dems keep shooting themselves in the foot (feet?).

Yes the MAGAts aren’t enough by themselves and the Repugs know that so they continue to get voter restriction laws passed. With luck the lost Democratic votes from disenfranchisement will be offset by the lopsided loss of Republican voters from Covid but the unlevel playing field that is being manufactured by voter restrictions and gerrymandering may continue to allow them to hold power without majorities

This from Bernie:

Over the course of 2021, Republican-led state legislatures passed an estimated 34 laws restricting ballot access, and more than 440 voter suppression measures were introduced.

If passed, the Freedom to Vote: John R. Lewis Act would negate parts of the new GOP-authored laws by bolstering voter protections at the federal level. But activists fear that congressional Democrats might already be too late to enact reforms before the 2022 midterms, in which Republicans are widely favored to take back the House.

In an interview with the New York Times late last week, Sanders warned that the Democratic majority's failure to get voting rights and other key priorities across the finish line has "demoralized" voters, imperiling the party's prospects in upcoming elections.

"They're asking, 'What do the Democrats stand for?'" Sanders, the chair of the Senate Budget Committee, said of voters. "Clearly, the current strategy is failing and we need a major course correction."

"In my view, we are not going to win the elections in 2022 unless our base is energized and ordinary people understand what we are fighting for, and how we are different than the Republicans," he added. "That's not the case now."

I don't see any way of fixing the voter issue with Manchin and Sinema continuing to resist eliminating the filibuster.

IMHO, the only chance democrats have is somehow getting the vote out in spite of Republican efforts to stop them. Something along the lines of "Republicans are trying to keep your voice from being heard! Don't let them!"

I believe this would requires efforts all over the country similar to what Stacey Abrams did in Georgia last time around. It's a very tall order, but I think it's the only way to prevent a GOP landslide....

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

This from Bernie:

if not for two senators, the Dems would be in great shape, imo.  Manchin and Synema have completely cut the legs out from under the Dems 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I agree there, for sure.

I just went back to see what they said about teachers.... holy crap, I can see why you don't like them. I forgot about the stuff they were putting out during Christie's time. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I just went back to see what they said about teachers.... holy crap, I can see why you don't like them. I forgot about the stuff they were putting out during Christie's time. 

they were the propaganda wing that they used to completely undermine the public school system, which was the Libs goal.  The Libs gutted the education system in a way that was nothing short of criminal and then the Fraser Institute came out with report after report painting public schools as horrific places to send your kids.  Their annual "report" grading schools completely disgust me

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1