The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

59 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The street fighting going on in the USA since the failed coup is debilitating to the political process. 

Then the gop should actually get to the business of helping to run the country instead of cutting it's throat

• Thanks 1

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jan/24/liz-cheney-blasts-newt-gingrich-over-threats-jail-/

"

Rep. Liz Cheney slammed former House Speaker Newt Gingrich over his comments suggesting that Jan. 6 committee members could face jail time under a GOP-controlled Congress.

The Wyoming Republican accused Mr. Gingrich of being inconsiderate to the rule of law and democratic norms.

“A former Speaker of the House is threatening jail time for members of Congress who are investigating the violent January 6 attack on our Capitol and our Constitution,” Ms. Cheney tweeted. “This is what it looks like when the rule of law unravels.”

Ms. Cheney’s comments follow Mr. Gingrich’s warning that panel members, like herself, could see themselves in jail come November, when Republicans are expected to take back the House.

“I think when you have a Republican Congress, this is all going to come crashing down,” Mr. Gingrich said Sunday on Fox News. “The wolves are going to find out that they’re now sheep, and they’re the ones who are in fact, I think, face a real risk of jail for the kinds of laws they’re breaking.”

Ms. Cheney, a vocal critic of former President Donald Trump, and fellow anti-Trump Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois are the only GOP members of the Jan. 6 panel.

even Democrats also sit on the committee, which is chaired by Rep. Bennie Thompson, Mississippi Democrat.

How each party sees the committee and its investigation falls on partisan lines.

Democrats support the panel as a necessary probe to figure out how the last year’s Capitol attack occurred, while many Republicans view it as a means to attack GOP members and their supporters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Then the gop should actually get to the business of helping to run the country instead of cutting it's throat

Exactly. Unfortunately, the GOP strategy is to oppose pretty much everything the Administration puts forward, because they'd rather make sure Biden's agenda fails, even when it's beneficial to the American public.

The Infrastructure bill is a perfect example. There are stories all over the place about Republicans touting the benefits of the bill to their constituents, even though they voted against it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The street fighting going on in the USA since the failed coup is debilitating to the political process. 

That's what those on the far right (or far left) actually want to happen.  GOP is playing that dangerous game pandering to those wingnuts.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Exactly. Unfortunately, the GOP strategy is to oppose pretty much everything the Administration puts forward, because they'd rather make sure Biden's agenda fails, even when it's beneficial to the American public.

The Infrastructure bill is a perfect example. There are stories all over the place about Republicans touting the benefits of the bill to their constituents, even though they voted against it.

because they see the changing demograhic in the US and know that, outside of evangelical christians, stanch conservatism is on it's death bed and they are doing everything they can to tilt the scales toward minority rule

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

because they see the changing demograhic in the US and know that, outside of evangelical christians, stanch conservatism is on it's death bed and they are doing everything they can to tilt the scales toward minority rule

Yet the GOP increased their Latiino and Black vote significantly in 2020. Blacks 19%, Hispanic 36% and Asians 38%. Were they voting for Trump or conservative values? While conservatism is being badly served by those leading it I don't think it is on its death bed. The Dem victory was very thin and likely reversed in both houses this coming November. The question becomes what message will people be making their ballot decisions on and who will be giving that message? 

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Yet the GOP increased their Latiino and Black vote significantly in 2020. Blacks 19%, Hispanic 36% and Asians 38%. Were they voting for Trump or conservative values? While conservatism is being badly served by those leading it I don't think it is on its death bed. The Dem victory was very thin and likely reversed in both houses this coming November. The question becomes what message will people be making their ballot decisions on and who will be giving that message? 

it wasn't that thin, it was only close because Repugs have been gerrymandering like crazy.  The younger generations will be voting conservative less and less, especially if they stick to their culture war mantra. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of a$$holes, anyone else see that Rudy Giuliani is selling autographed 9-11 t-shirts for $911.00?

https://www.wabcradiostore.com/product/rudy-giuliani-autographed-9-11-shirt-blue/

It takes a special kind of scumbag to try and profit off the deaths of 3000 people.....but hey, I guess there are legal bills to pay.....<_<

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Speaking of a$$holes, anyone else see that Rudy Giuliani is selling autographed 9-11 t-shirts for $911.00?

https://www.wabcradiostore.com/product/rudy-giuliani-autographed-9-11-shirt-blue/

It takes a special kind of scumbag to try and profit off the deaths of 3000 people.....but hey, I guess there are legal bills to pay.....<_<

Him, Trump and a number of others....best emetic there is out there. What a slimeball POS....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No Way GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Finally.... someone called out Doocy, The FOX Douchebag for what he is....

President Biden, asked by Fox's Peter Doocy whether inflation will be a political liability in the midterms, is heard on a hot mic responding,

"No, that's a great asset – more inflation. What a stupid son of a bitch."

And then, being the true gentleman he is.....

President Biden called Fox's Peter Doocy about an hour he made the remark and apologized.

If ever a FOX reporter deserved to be called a 'stupid son of a bitch', it's Peter Doocy

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Right wing firebrand Ann Coulter, once an avid supporter of Donald Trump, has turned on him:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/23/opinion/ann-coulter-trump-ron-desantis.html?campaign_id=39&emc=edit_ty_20220124&instance_id=51129&nl=opinion-today&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=80574&te=1&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

When Ms. Coulter turns, she does not go gently. Her critiques of Mr. Trump have included calling him “a shallow, lazy ignoramus,” “a complete moron,” “a blithering idiot” and “a lout.” She now considers his entire presidency a flop. “Trump accomplished everything he was ever going to accomplish at 2 a.m.” on election night in 2016, she emailed me last week. “The best thing that could have happened to the Republican Party (and the country) would have been for him to be vaporized at the moment he was announcing his victory. Pence would have been afraid to betray Trump’s supporters. Trump wasn’t!”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think the hyper focus of the media on all sides on Trump tends to mask the kinds of numbers you're showing here. I fully expect Biden to lose big in the mid-terms and be a lame duck one term president. Not what I'd prefer to see, but I think thats how its going to go, in part because the dem's are not engaging these communities properly.

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Right wing firebrand Ann Coulter, once an avid supporter of Donald Trump, has turned on him:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/23/opinion/ann-coulter-trump-ron-desantis.html?campaign_id=39&emc=edit_ty_20220124&instance_id=51129&nl=opinion-today&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=80574&te=1&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

When Ms. Coulter turns, she does not go gently. Her critiques of Mr. Trump have included calling him “a shallow, lazy ignoramus,” “a complete moron,” “a blithering idiot” and “a lout.” She now considers his entire presidency a flop. “Trump accomplished everything he was ever going to accomplish at 2 a.m.” on election night in 2016, she emailed me last week. “The best thing that could have happened to the Republican Party (and the country) would have been for him to be vaporized at the moment he was announcing his victory. Pence would have been afraid to betray Trump’s supporters. Trump wasn’t!”

If memory serves Trump lost Ann Coulter in less than a year after being elected. Because she is a Trump critic does that allow her back on American campuses? The institutions of free speech have had her banned for years now. 

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If memory serves Trump lost Ann Coulter in less than a year after being elected. Because she is a Trump critic does that allow her back on American campuses? The institutions of free speech have had her banned for years now. 

Nah. She's still an awful human being for a variety of reasons. But at least she isn't a hypocrite and sticks to her ideals politically unlike the vast majority of the right in the US. 

Also US universities are in many cases private institutions. Those ones can do what they want like any other business. Essentially students are customers and keeping your customers happy is key to any business. So free speech here is just a tag line and the maybe the most misused line involving a US right. Sure you van say what you want...doesn't mean there isn't consequences. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think the hyper focus of the media on all sides on Trump tends to mask the kinds of numbers you're showing here. I fully expect Biden to lose big in the mid-terms and be a lame duck one term president. Not what I'd prefer to see, but I think thats how its going to go, in part because the dem's are not engaging these communities properly.

It is my experience that hard working people respect the value of a dollar. That lends itself to conservatism. Combine that with a higher religious conviction in those communities which again gives conservatism a toehold. 

Trump’s effort at machismo messaging works for some in the Hispanic community. I am sure that Biden will move to the middle more prior to the mid-terms and that might help. My frustration is that both sides of the aisle are top down messaging entities. Both have little moral compass as they lie regularly. The media has been so corrupted that they are no longer a forum. Trump fed off that distrust and will likely do so again. The polarity is so strong for some that critical thinking is simply not there. I do think that the GOP black movement is growing. The Dems have failed the black community for decades and it is starting to cost them. Many progressives are moving into traditional Republican constituencies as they abandon high cost Demo locales. That could help the Dems.