The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

USA Politics/Election Thread: Biden, Harris, Trump, Democrats, Republicans, et al

DonLever

52 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes, I am quite aware of the who and they why.

But; he is not even guaranteed any sort of protection or help from the GOP at this point.  He is reputedly so repugnant that the party gave him the barest possible amount of assistance in his campaign.

To suggest as some are that he is a shoe in is a bit early.  Could he win?  Yes.  Will he?  Who knows.

It's America.  Nothing there surprises me anymore.

These twerps are more insidious than the lackeys around Ronnie Raygun days.  At least those people actually believed in what they were preaching.  These grifters will throw their own mothers under the bus to get ahead.

• Cheers 2

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

These twerps are more insidious than the lackeys around Ronnie Raygun days.  At least those people actually believed in what they were preaching.  These grifters will throw their own mothers under the bus to get ahead.

Ya.....the revolution, when it occurs will be interesting to watch

18 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Literally the ONLY statement and question to respond to these idiots would be

"Haven't re[publicans strengthened voting laws at the state level to ensure this doesn't happen?  Isn't that why you keep changing state laws?  isn't that why you keep changing voters laws?  If so, why are you worried?  If not; why are you changing the laws regarding voters and voting" and then watch the idiots squirm

5 years ago i would have suggested the average American is not stupid enough to believe that brand new migrants to their nation would be allowed to vote because they're not.  Now...now I am not so sure they are smart enough to understand that.

Haha. If you think contradictions will make them uncomfortable you haven’t been paying attention. 
They “strengthen” voting laws based on a combination of lies and inbred racism. 
‘They are as comfortable as can be with contradictions because their voters don’t care if they contradict or lie, they expect it. The game is to screw the libs, nothing else really matters, especially the will of the majority of the people. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

You can't make this stuff up....Bone Spurs is again claiming voter fraud...in the PA GOP Primary....

Why? Because his chosen candidate (and Snake Oil shill) Dr Oz, hasn't won outright....:rolleyes:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/trump-refuses-to-accept-dr-oz-could-have-lost-pennsylvania-election/ar-AAXrtGk?cvid=3f7b86da077c4775bff0fec0c382506a

Former President Donald Trump is claiming without evidence that electoral fraud is afoot in Pennsylvania's Senate primary, and that his endorsed candidate should stave it off by declaring victory in the still unsettled race.

Trump on Wednesday offered the advice to Republican Senate candidate Dr. Mehmet Oz in a post to Truth Social, the former president's new social media platform. No clear winner has emerged in the state's Republican Senate primary as election workers continue counting ballots cast Tuesday. Trump's post renews his debunked claims of widespread voter fraud he has insisted robbed him of a second term in 2020.

"Dr. Oz should declare victory," Trump wrote in the post. "It makes it much harder for them to cheat with the ballots that they 'just happened to find.'"

The surgeon and television personality in April received Trump's coveted endorsement in the key Senate race. However, even with Trump's blessing, Oz wasn't able to pull ahead of his rivals in Tuesday's election.

As of Wednesday evening, Oz was slightly ahead with 31.28 percent or 411,447 votes. Former hedge fund executive David McCormick was behind Oz by about 1,400 votes. Conservative political pundit Kathy Barnette remained in third with nearly a quarter of the vote.

Pennsylvania Acting Secretary of State Leigh Chapman said in a statement Tuesday evening that two counties experienced local issues with elections.

A court extended voting in Berks County after at least two dozen polling places were impacted by long lines due to issues with new electronic pollbooks. In Lancaster County, which twice voted for Trump, county election officials had to duplicate and scan 22,000 mail ballots because of a printing error.

Counties received about 900,000 mail ballot applications for the primary, with 646,000 mail-in ballots received on Tuesday, according to Chapman.

Trump has repeatedly claimed that voting by mail is susceptible to fraud despite having cast his ballot by mail in Florida.

"Here we go again!" wrote Trump in a separate post on Wednesday. "In Pennsylvania they are unable to count the Mail-In Ballots. It is a BIG MESS. Our Country should go to paper ballots, with same day voting."

The takeaway here is, Trump, or any of his endorsed candidates never lose, unless someone cheats. In other words, Trump has the exact same attitude as a 4 year old who just lost at checkers.....

This is the guy 60 million Americans want to see back in the White House in two years....:picard:

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

WTF???

Soooo......I guess this is why Texas has so many issues with their power grid?

They refuse to burn fetuses and there just aren't enough Mexicans? :unsure:

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Haha. If you think contradictions will make them uncomfortable you haven’t been paying attention. 
They “strengthen” voting laws based on a combination of lies and inbred racism. 
‘They are as comfortable as can be with contradictions because their voters don’t care if they contradict or lie, they expect it. The game is to screw the libs, nothing else really matters, especially the will of the majority of the people. 

Bingo. Nothing changes until Republican voters demand better of their candidates. It's like a child misbehaving and trying to see where the boundaries are. In this case the children are the Republican candidates and so far there does not appear to be any boundaries or consequences. So the behaviour gets more and more extreme. Until eventually you trip the breaker. Where that is, is anyone's guess. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He is only scary if he wins.  The scariest man in politics right now is McConnel.  why?  because he's in office and has orchestrated almost 20 years of gerry mandering, electoral changes, SCOTUS nominees and laws regarding human rights, choice and race all towards the right, far right and religious right.

That Mastriano guy is not even a guarantee to be supported by the GOP during the next election and Pennsylvania was rocked by numerous issues due to the great lie including the shooting of a synagogue which was essentially mocked by the GOP as it stands.

He's scary in the sense of what might be, but he's not as scary as what's already happening.

Yet

I wouldn't say any particular politician is the scariest. 

He just strikes me as a bigger but job than most. 

McConnell has real power, senate minority  leader in name only when you take Sinema's and Manchin's actions into account. 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Awkward George Costanza GIF

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Bingo. Nothing changes until Republican voters demand better of their candidates. It's like a child misbehaving and trying to see where the boundaries are. In this case the children are the Republican candidates and so far there does not appear to be any boundaries or consequences. So the behaviour gets more and more extreme. Until eventually you trip the breaker. Where that is, is anyone's guess. 

Countries all across the world are more divided than ever. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2021/06/23/people-in-advanced-economies-say-their-society-is-more-divided-than-before-pandemic/

The pandemic has contributed to this however people felt this way before it 

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2018-04-25/survey-majority-of-people-around-the-world-feel-divided

Systems have been breaking down for decades.

People don't trust political systems, legal systems, I won't insult peoples intelligence calling them justice systems. 

https://www.ipsos.com/en/bbc-global-survey-world-divided

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Well maybe they need to build a wall. That obviously attracted more Mexicans to cross, because the Republicans say it is an open border now. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2022 at 11:42 AM, JM_ said:

At this point, I don't see how all of this can't lead to some sort of significant armed conflict in the US. One side wants a King and a theocracy back. US federalism is dead if GOP governors get to throw away the will of the voting public. 

Armed conflict requires active participants and it requires balls which is what they lack.

So if the election was “stolen” what exactly have they done about it?

Nothing but complaining  and crying like little bitches!

Edited by CBH1926

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Countries all across the world are more divided than ever. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2021/06/23/people-in-advanced-economies-say-their-society-is-more-divided-than-before-pandemic/

The pandemic has contributed to this however people felt this way before it 

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2018-04-25/survey-majority-of-people-around-the-world-feel-divided

Systems have been breaking down for decades.

People don't trust political systems, legal systems, I won't insult peoples intelligence calling them justice systems. 

https://www.ipsos.com/en/bbc-global-survey-world-divided

I don't think so.  I think there a small minority in most countries who have organized very well and know how to use the media to amplify their voices to a much higher magnitude than their actual support would normally muster.  This is certainly true in Canada, and likely across most European nations.  The US is the one country were there is a legitimate chance of some serious political strife that could alter their nation 

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think so.  I think there a small minority in most countries who have organized very well and know how to use the media to amplify their voices to a much higher magnitude than their actual support would normally muster.  This is certainly true in Canada, and likely across most European nations.  The US is the one country were there is a legitimate chance of some serious political strife that could alter their nation 

If you want to ignore those articles fair enough.

I can tell you for a fact this article reflects the attitudes in my society 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2021/jul/02/tempers-are-frayed-weve-become-a-nation-divided-over-fortress-australia-and-the-covid-19-response

" We've become a nation divided by,  by politics, by state, by age, even by vaccine "

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

If you want to ignore those articles fair enough.

I can tell you for a fact this article reflects the attitudes in my society 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2021/jul/02/tempers-are-frayed-weve-become-a-nation-divided-over-fortress-australia-and-the-covid-19-response

" We've become a nation divided by,  by politics, by state, by age, even by vaccine "

Australia falls a little more into an American mentality, no doubt about that. 

8 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Armed conflict requires active participants and it requires balls which is what they lack.

So if the election was “stolen” what exactly have they done about it?

Nothing but complaining  and crying like little bitches!

well, haven't they stacked a Supreme Court to their liking? seems like they are putting in more and more extreme people in to state level positions who will gladly overturn election results. I wouldn't call that nothing. 

• Upvote 1

Crazy man asks for more craziness:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/madison-cawthorn-threatens-enemies-with-rise-of-dark-maga/ar-AAXu30A?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=750f5ba6c59944a6882bf013800af6eb

Fresh off an election defeat, one current member of Congress is now taking aim at those in his own party.

North Carolina Republican Representative Madison Cawthorn took to social media to voice his frustration with the GOP because, as Cawthorn puts it, "the establishment turned their guns on me." Cawthorn, though, said it's now time for a new force in the MAGA world to coalesce and truly show what they are capable of accomplishing.

Cawthorn's post stated that "it's time for Dark MAGA to truly take command" and pointed out that "we have an enemy to defeat" but he said that victory is not possible "until we defeat the cowardly and weak members of our own party." Cawthorn ended his post by writing those unnamed individuals' "days are numbered" and that "we are coming."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdv39gcOBis/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=e7e8b37e-7eac-4b77-a0c7-de47e37cda2f

The Republican representative's post comes two days after GOP voters in his North Carolina congressional district decided they wanted to go in another direction. Voters, after a series of recent scandals involving the freshman legislator, selected state Senator Chuck Edwards as the GOP nominee for the 11th Congressional District in the Tar Heel State

On Tuesday evening, Cawthorn, after his defeat in the primary, admitted his loss and called on Republicans to rally behind and support Edwards.

"Congratulations to @ChuckEdwards4NC on securing the nomination tonight. It's time for the NC-11 GOP to rally behind the Republican ticket to defeat the Democrats' nominee this November," he wrote.

Cawthorn's loss to Edwards was celebrated by Ukraine's former ambassador to Austria, Olexander Scherba. He wrote, "Good news, Ukrainians! US Congressman Madison Kothorn [sic], one of Ukraine's biggest haters in Congress, lost the primaries. One Putin's agent will have less influence."

Back in March, a video surfaced in which Cawthorn referred to Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky as a "thug" and called the Ukrainian government "incredibly evil" and corrupt."

In addition to calling for "Dark MAGA" to take charge against those undisclosed people in the Republican Party because "the time for gentile [sic] politics as usual has come to an end," Cawthorn also used his Thursday afternoon social media post to identify those he believed to be "America First Patriots."

People Cawthorn believes to be "honorable men and women" include former President Donald Trump, his GOP colleagues in Congress Representatives Matt Gaetz, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Paul Gosar and Republican Senator Rand Paul.

Fox News host Tucker Carlson, the head of Turning Point USA Charlie Kirk and the National Rifle Association also made Cawthorn's list.

In response to Cawthorn's social media post calling on "Dark MAGA" to take control, Gosar wrote stated that he believes Cawthorn to "have a bright future as a leader" and that he has "no doubt" that he will be "back and better than ever."

Newsweek reached out to Cawthorn's office for comment.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

well, haven't they stacked a Supreme Court to their liking? seems like they are putting in more and more extreme people in to state level positions who will gladly overturn election results. I wouldn't call that nothing. 

Amazing what you can do if you control the right 30% of the population in the US.
Amazing that the rest of the country just seems to accept the tyranny of the right wing minority. 

• Cheers 1